Upgrade Surprise

Cruise Raider

2 hours ago, shopping is fun said:

We have been upgraded to a mini-suite on the deck directly under the Lido pool deck on Sky Princess. We had a balcony on deck 10 near the very back of the ship before the upgrade. Our question/concern is whether the noise from moving chairs/lounges and the early morning pool area cleaning will be noticeable in our cabin. We don't sleep late, but how early does this process occur? Thanks to all. 

Ouch ... not sure that's an upgrade I'd be very happy getting.  You can probably try to pick a different cabin assignment within the same category, if you can get through to them.  I don't like to look a gift horse in the mouth but, I've been under the lido deck before and they do start setting up those loungers well before 6 AM and they come down with a loud bang ... followed by chair scraping all day long.  If someone has hard soled shoes (like security) you can hear it day and night.  It's probably a location for people that are not sensitive to excessive noise, but, me?  At the risk of sounding ungrateful, I'd ask to be moved.  

14 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Ouch ... not sure that's an upgrade I'd be very happy getting.  You can probably try to pick a different cabin assignment within the same category, if you can get through to them.  I don't like to look a gift horse in the mouth but, I've been under the lido deck before and they do start setting up those loungers well before 6 AM and they come down with a loud bang ... followed by chair scraping all day long.  If someone has hard soled shoes (like security) you can hear it day and night.  It's probably a location for people that are not sensitive to excessive noise, but, me?  At the risk of sounding ungrateful, I'd ask to be moved.  

That's what I am concerned about! They are not offering any other rooms or locations, and we have until tomorrow to decide whether to accept the upgrade. The mini-suite offered is M318. Any other feedback, anyone??  Thanks!

27 minutes ago, shopping is fun said:

That's what I am concerned about! They are not offering any other rooms or locations, and we have until tomorrow to decide whether to accept the upgrade. The mini-suite offered is M318. Any other feedback, anyone??  Thanks!

You can check online to see if any other cabin in the same exact upgraded category is available. If you find one in a better location, contact your TA (or Princess if not using a TA) to switch you to it with no problem or cost.

1 hour ago, shopping is fun said:

I assume you are upgraded from a balcony ? TBH I don't think that is much of an upgrade. If my memory serves me you are only getting a Love Seat and a bit more space. I would not take it in view of the Lido noise.

46 minutes ago, caribill said:

You can check online to see if any other cabin in the same exact upgraded category is available. If you find one in a better location, contact your TA (or Princess if not using a TA) to switch you to it with no problem or cost.

This is my advice as well.  There are also some MC category staterooms further forward, under some lido deck cabins (M210 - M233).  A much safer location in terms of noise from overhead.  

The next best location is under the World Fresh Marketplace (M514 - M527).  They are all under a carpeted area.  We've been in this location before and aside from the rare occasion when we heard some dishes being dropped, it is a decent room choice.  

If you'd like to try out a mini-suite, I would accept the offer and then make a move to one of these option if any of these cabins are available ... just check it out on their website (like you are doing a dummy booking).  Princess almost always allows you to change cabins within the same category for no charge, even if it is a free upgrade.  

If it's early enough before your sailing, I'd be surprised if any of these cabins aren't available and if you can get through to someone, I'm pretty sure they would have no problem with your request.  If you need to respond by email, just include a notation that you'd be willing to accept the upgrade if you could possibly be placed in one of the rooms you find acceptable.  Give them some room numbers you'd be willing to stay in.  It won't be the first time this tactic was successful.  

15 minutes ago, drowelf said:

No upgrades so far for our August Cruise on the Caribbean Princess. We are already in a midship mini-suite, so I don't know if any upgrade dust will get sprinkled on our booking. 

I think the only upgrade from there is a full suite, right?  That would be really sweet if they did that.  

23 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I think the only upgrade from there is a full suite, right?  That would be really sweet if they did that.  

I believe thats correct, which is why I don't think one is coming. 

• Like 1

drowelf

If you are in a regular mini-suite you could be upgraded to a higher level of mini- suite ( the name of that category escapes me now). 

That category gives you access to an upgraded dining experience in the MDR and priority boarding.

A mid- ship mini-suite is quite comfortable though !

Bon Voyage !

10 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

drowelf

If you are in a regular mini-suite you could be upgraded to a higher level of mini- suite ( the name of that category escapes me now). 

That category gives you access to an upgraded dining experience in the MDR and priority boarding.

A mid- ship mini-suite is quite comfortable though !

Bon Voyage !

That would be a Club Class Mini-Suite.  

I have sailed in a regular mini-suite and a Club Class mini-suite (Regal and Sky).  I am currently booked in a Deluxe Balcony on the Enchanted for January, 2021.  I would love to see an upgrade to a mini-suite.  Fingers crossed.  

Edited by antmaril
  • Like 1

Thank you,antmaril-

Club Class did not come to mind. Either it was due to brain freeze or a senior moment !

I hope you do get an upgrade.

We received an Upgrade from a Deluxe Balcony to a Mini-Suite on the Sky.

I wasn’t too sure about the Marina deck location as we usually book Caribe or Dolphin deck. However, M221 has cabins above and below and seems far enough away from the pools on Lido deck,so I think it was a good move. 

22 minutes ago, antmaril said:

That would be a Club Class Mini-Suite.  

I have sailed in a regular mini-suite and a Club Class mini-suite (Regal and Sky).  I am currently booked in a Deluxe Balcony on the Enchanted for January, 2021.  I would love to see an upgrade to a mini-suite.  Fingers crossed.  

I did not think about that, we are new to Princess, so I'm not really up on all the differences Club Class and regular mini-suite. Are the cabins any different or is it just all the soft product perks that make the difference. 

1 hour ago, drowelf said:

I did not think about that, we are new to Princess, so I'm not really up on all the differences Club Class and regular mini-suite. Are the cabins any different or is it just all the soft product perks that make the difference. 

The cabins are the same (very nice and quite spacious), but there are perks that come with a CC Mini-Suite, including Club Class Dining.  You can dine at any time and there is no wait.  That is a nice perk.  

After watching this thread for a while and waiting patiently with fingers crossed, I logged into my booking a short while ago and finally saw a change in cabin! A DOWNGRADE it seems from and ID interior to an IB interior. I paid slightly more for ID, not sure why they’d move me to a cheaper room. 

What gives? Any recourse at my disposal?

11 minutes ago, blloydtbird said:

After watching this thread for a while and waiting patiently with fingers crossed, I logged into my booking a short while ago and finally saw a change in cabin! A DOWNGRADE it seems from and ID interior to an IB interior. I paid slightly more for ID, not sure why they’d move me to a cheaper room. 
If you don't like your location, see if another IB location is available (check all decks). If you don't find something you like, call and see if you can move back. 

IB Is considered a better location. IA would be your best inside category. ID is lower than IB

Edited by jennybenny

2 minutes ago, jennybenny said:

IB Is considered a better location. IA would be your best inside category. ID is lower than IB

Interesting. I know I paid more for ID as I wanted a location in the back of the ship. When I booked the cabin, IA/IB were a bit cheaper but they were up front, which we did not want. 

So it goes. I’ll leave it as is for now, hope they “upgrade” me once again 🙂

• Like 1

I am very pleased with Princess as they have upgraded us for our August Alaska cruise.

We had OY (obstructed ocean view) and now we have a BD (balcony on deck 11). 

Very happy!! Hopefully though this cruise does not get cancelled.

I think this is Princess's way of saying thank you for not cancelling. 🙂

• Like 3

12 hours ago, jennybenny said:

I took a look this morning, you were indeed correct, IB is more pricey than ID.  Still, I prefer the aft location. My TA sent an email this morning confirming the upgrade. I hope I get another!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, blloydtbird said:

I took a look this morning, you were indeed correct, IB is more pricey than ID.  Still, I prefer the aft location. My TA sent an email this morning confirming the upgrade. I hope I get another!

We love the Aft location as well when we have a balcony. When we are in an inside cabin, we actually love the Grand class ships Plaza deck cabins in the IC category so we are close to The International Cafe and Vines, or Caribe or Dolphin IB to be closer to Crooners.

We usually mark our cabins no upgrade, but for fun, left them available for upgrade on our last two bookings and it worked out favorably. 

Congrats on the upgrade, and hope you get another one that you prefer. Remember once they upgrade you, you can request a different cabin within that same new category at no charge. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, greenie082756 said:

I am very pleased with Princess as they have upgraded us for our August Alaska cruise.

We had OY (obstructed ocean view) and now we have a BD (balcony on deck 11). 

Very happy!! Hopefully though this cruise does not get cancelled.

I think this is Princess's way of saying thank you for not cancelling. 🙂

We are also on an August Alaska cruise .... mine was from a move over offer and from that, was able to move from an Obstructed OV to an aft facing balcony for slightly more $.  I don't even think I would want an upgrade to a mini-suite unless it was Club Class. 

I also really hope they don't cancel this sailing.  

• Like 1

Got an email for my 10-day Mexico cruise in December. Moved from BF to MD. Is that good? I've never been in a Mini-Suite, but they moved me from R747, which has a big balcony already. Is the MD balcony bigger? 

Edited by b0nz0

17 hours ago, blloydtbird said:

Did you find any recourse?

I was 'upgraded' from an DB to an MC. Technically an upgrade. But I went from Dolphin deck to Marina deck.  I stick to Plaza - Promenade Decks, never go to pools or buffets so being way up there is a 'negative' to me. 

We got upgraded from Inside to very nice Ocean View (no obstructed at all) last week and today we got another upgraded to a better balcony mid-ship on Baja.  This is the first ever after 16 cruises with Princess.  I believe they are trying to sweet us up for NOT TO CANCEL our cruise (mid-June).  UK/Europe is on the locked down. We believe this cruise won't go but will wait for Princess makes a first move.

• Like 1