Windstar Cruises Pauses Ship Operations Worldwide Due to Coronavirus Pandemic

Ski Mom 2

Windstar Cruises Pauses Ship Operations Worldwide Due to Coronavirus Pandemic

SEATTLE, WA, March 12, 2020 – Small ship cruise operator Windstar Cruises announced today that the company will temporarily suspend operations worldwide for cruises embarking March 14 through April 30, 2020 due to the unpredictable environment surrounding the coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic.
“After much thought, we believe we are making the most responsible decision we can during this coronavirus pandemic,” said Christopher Prelog, chief operating officer of Windstar Cruises. “This worldwide pause in the operation of our fleet of small ships is an effort to curb the spread of the virus and keep our guests, crew and the communities we visit, safe and healthy. We look forward to resuming operations again on May 1 with a return to offering our 180 degrees from ordinary vacation experience.”
Windstar will temporarily suspend operations of all sailings embarking on March 14 through April 30, 2020. Cruises will begin operating again according to schedule on May 1, 2020.
Windstar Cruises regrets the cancellation of travelers’ vacations. Guests on cancelled cruises will receive the choice of a Future Cruise Credit valued at 125% of all monies paid to Windstar Cruises or a refund equal to the amount paid on the Windstar booking. Guests will have 24 months to book and embark on any available Windstar cruise using their Future Cruise Credit. Windstar Cruises will protect Travel Advisor commissions on the affected bookings.
Windstar’s reservations team is reviewing all affected bookings and will send a letter outlining details to guests and travel advisors with canceled cruises. The reservations team appreciates the patience and understanding of guests and travel advisors as they work through this process.
The staff, executives, officers and crew at Windstar Cruises look forward to hosting travelers again this spring aboard its fleet of six small yachts carrying 148 to 342 guests in scenic and cultural destinations around the world.
Media Contact:
Sarah Scoltock, Windstar Cruises / sarah.scoltock@windstarcruises.com Sally Spaulding, Percepture Public Relations /sspaulding@percepture.com René A. Mack, Percepture Public Relations / rmack@percepture.com

About Windstar Cruises
Windstar Cruises operates a fleet of six boutique small ships and motor sailing yachts carrying 148-342 guests. Small ship cruises sail throughout Europe, the Caribbean, Costa Rica and the Panama Canal, Asia, Alaska and British Columbia, Canada and New England, Tahiti and the South Pacific, Mexico and U.S. Coastal, and newly launched Australia and New Zealand cruises. Windstar has recently launched the $250 Million Star Plus Initiative to transform three Star Class ships with new suites, restaurants, and a world- class spa and fitness center. The award-winning line is known for immersive experiences, destination authenticity, port-intensive itineraries, exceptional service, and an innovative culinary program as the Official Cruise Line of the James Beard Foundation. Windstar Cruises is a part of Xanterra Travel Collection, an award-winning, globally diversified travel company offering once in a lifetime experiences in some of the most beautiful and iconic places on earth. To learn more about authentic small ship cruising with Windstar, visit www.windstarcruises.com.

It was inevitable. 

So now, everyone, let's go back to planning and looking forward to cruises in the future instead of obsessing over/dreading the ones in the near future. 

We are all old enough to know that "This too shall pass" and things will return, slightly changed. On Windstar there will be many changes for the better on the Star Yachts. So much to look forward to!

I had my eye on 2 cruises in the fall that will likely be cancelled and I have the Caribbean booked in late Feb on the Surf. I was going to cancel that (to pay for the other two.)  Now, I'll simply look at all the videos and posts on the Surf and look forward to leaving ports under the sails, listening to Conquest of Paradise (I'm still not comfortable with the imagery that song brings up, but I do find it stirring!) 

On my only Windstar cruise to date, we had only 2 sailaways and one was at midnight so the music wasn't played. The water sports deck was also not used. So I am really focusing on these perks of my multi-port Caribbean vacation (normally I hate ports so I may stay on board all the time or just get off for a walk and then return 'home.') We have a lovely cabin, a lovely ship, and are looking forward to the excellent food, once again. 

Oh, and if, during the social distancing and isolations during this crisis, we eat in more often and more frugally, and if much of our entertainment plans are cancelled, perhaps I can save enough money to book at least one of those other cruises as well as my Caribbean adventure! 

Edited by CanadianKate

I think that this is the correct move on the part of Windstar, especially since Princess, Viking, and Disney have taken similar actions, and it is certainly the "right thing to do."  And I agree with the comment above from minidonuts85; I hope that the crew is cared for.

Edited by BeignetBoy
More information

• 4 weeks later...

Information about the new order referred to above:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/04/09/coronavirus-cdc-extends-no-sail-order-cruise-ships/5128291002/

Cruise ships won't be hitting the high seas again anytime soon.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention extended a "no sail order" Thursday that it imposed last month to help quell the spread of the coronavirus.

While the March 14 order was intended as a voluntary measure to stay in place for 30 days, the new one could last longer. 

The CDC order states that cruise ships can't board passengers and return to their sailing schedules until one of three events takes place:

• Expiration of the Department of Health and Human Services' declaration that COVID-19 constitutes a public health emergency.

•The CDC director's own decision to modify or rescind its no-sail decision.

•Passage of 100 days from the time the new order is published in the Federal Register.

Until then, the about 100 cruise ships in the Atlantic, Pacific or Gulf of Mexico must remain idle, either in port or wallowing at anchor, the CDC said. Those ships currently have nearly 80,000 crew aboard....

21 hours ago, MNgardens said:

Information about the new order referred to above:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/04/09/coronavirus-cdc-extends-no-sail-order-cruise-ships/5128291002/

Cruise ships won't be hitting the high seas again anytime soon.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention extended a "no sail order" Thursday that it imposed last month to help quell the spread of the coronavirus.

While the March 14 order was intended as a voluntary measure to stay in place for 30 days, the new one could last longer. 

The CDC order states that cruise ships can't board passengers and return to their sailing schedules until one of three events takes place:

• Expiration of the Department of Health and Human Services' declaration that COVID-19 constitutes a public health emergency.

•The CDC director's own decision to modify or rescind its no-sail decision.

•Passage of 100 days from the time the new order is published in the Federal Register.

Until then, the about 100 cruise ships in the Atlantic, Pacific or Gulf of Mexico must remain idle, either in port or wallowing at anchor, the CDC said. Those ships currently have nearly 80,000 crew aboard....

A friend of mine works as a logistics contractor for the government and has been supervising the repatriation via charter flights of crew.  Two days ago they sent planes from NOLA based ships to Indonesia and Manila, and a couple of days before that sent crews from  a South Florida location to various Asian countries.

• 4 weeks later...

On April 15th The CDC published an extension of the no-sail order in the Federal Register. A clearer version is on the CDC web site: https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/index.html  It affects all cruise lines operating in US waters, which would include Windstar.  It is in place through July 24th. 

I'm confused as to why Windstar isn't cancelling cruises beginning before that date.  My cruise is scheduled for July 20th, we have flights booked July 17th.  It's pretty obvious we aren't going anywhere, and at this point I'd like to get this sorted with the insurance.  

Anyone have any idea why they haven't cancelled cruises up to that date and are still saying they'll be cruising again in early July?

32 minutes ago, ducklite said:

On April 15th The CDC published an extension of the no-sail order in the Federal Register. A clearer version is on the CDC web site: https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/index.html  It affects all cruise lines operating in US waters, which would include Windstar.  It is in place through July 24th. 

I'm confused as to why Windstar isn't cancelling cruises beginning before that date.  My cruise is scheduled for July 20th, we have flights booked July 17th.  It's pretty obvious we aren't going anywhere, and at this point I'd like to get this sorted with the insurance.  

Anyone have any idea why they haven't cancelled cruises up to that date and are still saying they'll be cruising again in early July?

Assume your cruise is not in US waters so this would not apply.  But are the ports in Europe going to be open? And will the airlines be flying internationally? Lots of questions.

19 minutes ago, sb44 said:

Assume your cruise is not in US waters so this would not apply.  But are the ports in Europe going to be open? And will the airlines be flying internationally? Lots of questions.

The way I understand it, because Windstar does cruise in US waters, it does apply.  It applies to entire fleets, not just individual cruises or ships.

Agree, I'm not sure many of the ports will be open, and my outbound flight is on BA (booked through AA) to LGW, which it sounds like they are pulling out of.  So the flight will be cancelled regardless.

59 minutes ago, ducklite said:

This week HAL and Princess cancelled their Europe sailings for 2020; Royal/Celebrity is in the process of doing the same and have been slower to cancel (one month at a time it seems). My guess is that an announcement should be forthcoming and like Royal, are not as quick as the others. I hear ya...just rip off the bandaid. 😞

3 hours ago, minidonuts85 said:

This week HAL and Princess cancelled their Europe sailings for 2020; Royal/Celebrity is in the process of doing the same and have been slower to cancel (one month at a time it seems). My guess is that an announcement should be forthcoming and like Royal, are not as quick as the others. I hear ya...just rip off the bandaid. 😞

Oceana is also in the process of canceling Europe sailings one month at a time. They are done with June now. All cruise lines are trying to hold on to people's money as long as they can .Most are offering 25% FCC's if you have paid in full and move your cancelled paid for cruise to a new sailing next year. I don't know if Windstar has this policy or not, my next cruise is not until Jan. 14, 2021 on Wind Spirit i tahiti. At this point, I have only the $100 deposit down.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2020 at 10:23 AM, susiesan said:

Oceana is also in the process of canceling Europe sailings one month at a time. They are done with June now. All cruise lines are trying to hold on to people's money as long as they can .Most are offering 25% FCC's if you have paid in full and move your cancelled paid for cruise to a new sailing next year. I don't know if Windstar has this policy or not, my next cruise is not until Jan. 14, 2021 on Wind Spirit i tahiti. At this point, I have only the $100 deposit down.

That's the next one for us too. We are just hanging tight to see whether travel is possible then.

On 5/8/2020 at 10:23 AM, susiesan said:

Susie,

I just booked Wind Spirit for May 2021. Couldn't resist with the prices. Wish I had $100 deposit ldeal ike you but guess they have to get their $ one way or another 🙂