Over 70 can cancel cruise for medical reason.

waterjock

If your doctor states that your health prevents you from going on the cruise your insurance should pay 100% refund.The doctor must state an underlining condition that exposes you to risk by going on this cruise. NCL says you must get a letter from your doctor that you are in good health to board the ship if your over 70 yrs old. Based on their own reasoning you should be able to get a medical reason for canceling your cruise. Most people over 70 have at lease one condition that would apply to you canceling the cruise.

But,,, your insurance will only pay for any penalties or losses. NCL Peace of Mind gives you a 100% FCC. So you have nothing to claim. You’re not out any money. 

And an “underlying condition” means it is pre-existing so your insurance would use that to deny your claim. 

Edited by BirdTravels

Bird, not always.  Take us for example - hubs had cardiac cath mid-November 2019.  His las med change was 12/1 with his one- month checkup/clearance mid December.   I use Chase Sapphire card insurance with 60 day look back.  I called them and asked when the clock started on my 60 days for pre-existing; they said 12/1 at last med change; so approx 2/1 his heart issues are no longer pre-existing because they haven’’t been treated or had any med changes since.  Direct from insurance co.  If a medical condition is stable, even if you are actively being monitored, as long as there are no changes in the condition itself (often defined as med changes) then the clock doesn’t reset for pre-existing.

YMMV different insurance companies may believe otherwise.  People should ask THEIR insurance company for the definition of pre-existing and have them reference it in the written materials.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, erdoran said:

Direct from insurance co.  If a medical condition is stable, even if you are actively being monitored, as long as there are no changes in the condition itself (often defined as med changes) then the clock doesn’t reset for pre-existing.

Yep.  Although the look-back will be different for different plans (and some will also include a zero look back).

The other important thing to remember about look backs and stability is that it includes not just med changes and increases, but also decreases.  If you're on a medication and your doctor reduces it, or takes you off it, that would also affect how the insurers treat stability.

3 hours ago, erdoran said:

Bird, not always.  Take us for example - hubs had cardiac cath mid-November 2019.  His las med change was 12/1 with his one- month checkup/clearance mid December.   I use Chase Sapphire card insurance with 60 day look back.  I called them and asked when the clock started on my 60 days for pre-existing; they said 12/1 at last med change; so approx 2/1 his heart issues are no longer pre-existing because they haven’’t been treated or had any med changes since.  Direct from insurance co.  If a medical condition is stable, even if you are actively being monitored, as long as there are no changes in the condition itself (often defined as med changes) then the clock doesn’t reset for pre-existing.

YMMV different insurance companies may believe otherwise.  People should ask THEIR insurance company for the definition of pre-existing and have them reference it in the written materials.

Not only that, most insurance plans you can purchase independently, either directly from an insurance company or through a trip insurance agency (as opposed to policies purchased from cruise lines) waive the pre-existing condition exclusion if the policy is purchased within a certain number of days from the date of your cruise deposit, typically 10 to 21 days. With that waiver the look-back period is inapplicable and irrelevant.

I even know of one company that has, or at least had in the recent past, a policy that waived the pre-existing condition exclusion as long as you purchased the policy within 24 hours of making your final payment for the trip as long as you were medically capable of traveling on that date. Naturally that policy is more expensive than the typical policy.

• Like 1