Time for Oceania to review Cancellations ??

roger b

Is it time for Oceania to review their Cancellation Policy , with 4 cruise lines suspending their cruise operations for up to 30 days and more and more ports closing to cruise ships and governments advising people not to go on cruises.

https://www.majorcadailybulletin.com/news/international/2020/03/12/63989/spanish-government-bans-cruise-ships.html

2 weeks seems like a very strange length of time. Do they really expect things to change much in 14 days.

I think this makes it harder (not easier) for the cruise lines to plan ahead - they will have to guess whether it will it extended or not.

Are there many ships in the Spanish ports in March anyway?

43 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

2 weeks seems like a very strange length of time. Do they really expect things to change much in 14 days.

I think this makes it harder (not easier) for the cruise lines to plan ahead - they will have to guess whether it will it extended or not.

Palma harbour last week.

palma port.jpg

• Like 1

Oceania should follow Viking and Princess and cancel cruises for 60 days.  I just noticed on the Oceania site that the Riviera Transatlantic from MIA to BCN is now ending in Tarragona, Spain.  I'm wondering if they're planning on "parking" the ship there and canceling other cruises fin the Med.  I'm watching this cruise carefully as my cruise is at the end of April.  I'm waiting to cancel hoping Oceania does so I get a refund, not a fcc.

• Like 3

Oceania is either 1. delusional that the global situation will magically heal itself in short order, or 2. they are just playing chicken with their customers to see who blinks first - and betting it will be us.

Guess which one I think is the truth?

• Like 4

Princess already has a major black eye from all of this that they may have trouble recovering from.

With the other cruise lines suspending operations at this time Oceania seems to be stubbornly ignoring how bad things have become.

If they continue on with the March & April cruises in order to avoid paying out for cancelling, they are in danger of being the next cruise line with major negative headlines. Just my opinion.

Edited by bbqoug
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Paulchili said:

A lot of British ship go there in winter  along with Costa.MSC  etc

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kate-AHF said:

Oceania is either 1. delusional that the global situation will magically heal itself in short order, or 2. they are just playing chicken with their customers to see who blinks first - and betting it will be us.

Guess which one I think is the truth?

Or maybe they are  hoping for a slightly better solution for their thousands of loyal employees whom many of us profess to love so much.

Loss of gratuity income will economically ruin many staff lives.  

11 minutes ago, StanandJim said:

Or maybe they are  hoping for a slightly better solution for their thousands of loyal employees whom many of us profess to love so much.

Well that's a great reason for Oceania's hesitancy to cancel up and coming cruise's ,why don't you blame the bottom line and the shareholders instead of the overworked and underpaid crew.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, StanandJim said:

Or maybe (likely) not: Norwegian Cruise Line managers urged salespeople to spread falsehoods about coronavirus“The only thing you need to worry about for your cruise is do you have enough sunscreen?” one manager wrote.

And just 4 days ago... "In one email sent Monday evening, after a Miami New Times journalist contacted the company, an executive wrote, “One of our own ratted.”  .... I honestly felt like I needed a shower after reading that article.  That kind of corporate culture isn't going to be overly concerned with the wellbeing of  their employees.

My disgust at corporate behavior does not mean I don't understand the impact this will have on cruise employees, port authorities, global tourism in general.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, roger b said:

why don't you blame the bottom line and the shareholders instead of the overworked and underpaid crew.

I don't because in this instance, both the crew and the shareholders have identical motivations to keep the ships sailing.

In other words, if they slit the throat of the shareholders, the crew will bleed to death as well.

19 minutes ago, eldaradoe said:

Just announced Marina is heading into drydock on this Sunday 3/15/20 cruise is canceled

Probably a smart move.

Avoids having to deal with all the cancellations and itinerary changes.

They will probably just chill there till the coast is clear.

1 hour ago, StanandJim said:

I don't because in this instance, both the crew and the shareholders have identical motivations to keep the ships sailing.

In other words, if they slit the throat of the shareholders, the crew will bleed to death as well.

Viking believes they will cope. Princess believes they will cope. Maybe O finances are such that they cannot support the crew, even with forced time off, minimum pay for key staff etc, part paid for with fuel savings. Wonder which shareholders you are referring to. FDR and such might be a little different camp than some others. Private equity firms that specialize in things like leveraged buyouts are not known for warm and fuzzy. I'm pretty sure I know who will bleed last using your analogy.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, YoHoHo said:

Viking believes they will cope. Princess believes they will cope. Maybe O finances are such that they cannot support the crew, even with forced time off, minimum pay for key staff etc, part paid for with fuel savings. Wonder which shareholders you are referring to. FDR and such might be a little different camp than some others. Private equity firms that specialize in things like leveraged buyouts are not known for warm and fuzzy. I'm pretty sure I know who will bleed last using your analogy.

I bet they wished they had the money they wasted sending out endless Brochures it would help to pay to cancel cruise's for 60 days  !!

Edited by roger b
spelling
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

This suspension should give Oceania plenty of time to review their cancellation policies.  I would advise them not to wait too long in order to retain customers.  Especially not to wait right before the next cruises to cancel.  Give people time, don't wait until they're already in the city that they embark in. 

Just now, bbtondo said:

This suspension should give Oceania plenty of time to review their cancellation policies.  I would advise them not to wait too long in order to retain customers.  Especially not to wait right before the next cruises to cancel.  Give people time, don't wait until they're already in the city that they embark in. 

Again....how can you put this on any cruise line.....this has never happened before...but you can opt to purchase insurance to cancel