So glad American Airlines changed policy

DB2VA

16 hours ago, Ashland said:

Yes...but when do we have to book air by.....It's much too far out ... I have no reason to fly before Dec 2020...next trip isn't until April 2021.

Reminds me of the joke of the little kid on the beach, with the wave and his hat.

Folks with non-refundable purchases, who then get a refund, but then don't like the way they got the refund.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/14/2020 at 7:26 AM, Joeghartman said:

This is great news, but I’m still debating on whether to wait or not. We are flying in to Barcelona June 18 and leave out of Rome June 18. Any thoughts on to wait or not?

i think it has to be rescheduled with the same cities. 

Check with the airline.  Many are offering fee-free changes, meaning you essentially get a credit to use on another flight.  You can change dates or cities or both.

• Like 1

FYI I'm flying to BCN end of April on American.  American has cancelled my nonstop flight from the US, and replacing it with flights connecting through LHR.  I believe this entitles you to a refund.  

On 3/14/2020 at 11:18 AM, FlyerTalker said:

Folks with non-refundable purchases, who then get a refund, but then don't like the way they got the refund.

I would agree with your statement if this was something that folks had control over, but the fact that it is something out of their control, I don't agree.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, zdcatc12 said:

I would agree with your statement if this was something that folks had control over, but the fact that it is something out of their control, I don't agree.

It was not out of their control.

They could have purchased travel insurance that would have provided a cash compensation.

They didn't.

• Thanks 1

If AA cancels the flight you can get a refund. If you cancel the flight you get a credit which expires 1 year from the date you purchased the ticket, not from the date of cancellation. I found out yesterday when I canceled a flight next Tuesday and my credit expires in August (or 5 months from now).

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

They could have purchased travel insurance that would have provided a cash compensation.

They didn't.

I normally agree with you, but not in this case. Yes, travel insurance would have paid, but only if the cancel for any reason option was purchased and, with the majority of policies, only 75% of what was paid.

16 hours ago, zdcatc12 said:

People have to cancel flights all the time for things that are out of their control.  They are flying to a wedding that is sadly canceled.  They are flying to a vacation that is canceled because another member of the traveling party gets sick.  They are flying to an event that is canceled due to a labor issue.  All kinds of things happen that are "out of their control" and it doesn't mean the airline owes them a refund if they bought a non-refundable ticket.

11 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

They didn't.

They also could have purchased a refundable fare in the first place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, waterbug123 said:

People have to cancel flights all the time for things that are out of their control.  They are flying to a wedding that is sadly canceled.  They are flying to a vacation that is canceled because another member of the traveling party gets sick.  They are flying to an event that is canceled due to a labor issue.  All kinds of things happen that are "out of their control" and it doesn't mean the airline owes them a refund if they bought a non-refundable ticket.

The first two items are specific to their situation, just them; a labor issue is covered by normal travel insurance. This is a global pandemic affecting millions, not the same as traveling to a wedding that is cancelled because the bride had cold feet.

Don't think that I am not in favor of getting insurance, because I am; but I don't usually get the cancel for any reason policy. People are saying that for this event, you should have bought insurance, but it needs to be specified that this insurance also needed the cancel for any reason clause or else these items would not be covered anyway, and then still at only 50-75%.

Some people preach for insurance, some people preach for refundable tickets. Yes, in this specific situation it would have been more prudent to do the latter, I agree with you on that.

1 hour ago, zdcatc12 said:

The first two items are specific to their situation, just them; a labor issue is covered by normal travel insurance. This is a global pandemic affecting millions, not the same as traveling to a wedding that is cancelled because the bride had cold feet.

My point is simply that to say that non-refundable tickets don't become refundable because a passenger cancels, regardless of whether the reason is within his control or not.  If the airline cancels, you get a refund.  If you cancel, you don't.  Any time one purchases a non-refundable ticket they are accepting the risk that they might have to cancel or choose to cancel and will lose their money if they do.  But people like to gamble and then complain about the risk they took.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, zdcatc12 said:

Don't think that I am not in favor of getting insurance, because I am; but I don't usually get the cancel for any reason policy. People are saying that for this event, you should have bought insurance, but it needs to be specified that this insurance also needed the cancel for any reason clause or else these items would not be covered anyway, and then still at only 50-75%.

Some people preach for insurance, some people preach for refundable tickets. Yes, in this specific situation it would have been more prudent to do the latter, I agree with you on that.

Unless their credit card insurance, if any, will cover it.

When we intentionally purchase non-refundable tickets, we then rely on the airlines or transport companies to refund out of the kindness of their 'hearts' or to be more specific 'moral' about it....

It is understandable that many of us only (are able to) travel once (1x) a year or so, yet in the short run most of us will not get refunds because the transport companies are or will shortly be, very cash strapped.

Most cruise lines are only offering FCC's currently and the hoopla over that in many quarters is understandable.

As things firm up, it is possible that other options might firm up, again who knows for sure?

Often times we choose to self-insure, intentional or not until the unforeseen arrives.

bon voyage

• Like 1

On 3/15/2020 at 5:11 PM, FlyerTalker said:

They didn't.

YES...I did !!!!! Don't just assume !!!