Canadian Itineraries and Ports

ger_77

The Government of Canada has just announced that any cruise ships with capacity over 500 (including passengers and crew) will not be allowed to stop at Canadian ports from now through to the beginning of July, 2020.

There goes my hope of doing a Montreal-Boston sweep this spring!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The only way to salvage the Alaska season (IF Alaska wants it) would be for the US to suspend the PVSA. Can they suspend a law like that?

And what Alaska ports have sufficient air capacity for people to get to their cruises? Seattle can't handle a full season, can they?

We are scheduled to sail April 2nd from Sydney to Vancouver arriving May 10th. As much as I want to try and do this cruise, I just don't think it is viable any longer.

3 minutes ago, Grum said:

We are scheduled to sail April 2nd from Sydney to Vancouver arriving May 10th. As much as I want to try and do this cruise, I just don't think it is viable any longer.

Ditto.  I've already canceled everything we've pre-booked, just waiting to cancel IF HAL doesn't.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

The only way to salvage the Alaska season (IF Alaska wants it) would be for the US to suspend the PVSA. Can they suspend a law like that?

And what Alaska ports have sufficient air capacity for people to get to their cruises? Seattle can't handle a full season, can they?

Do you mean bypass Canadian ports and sail directly to Alaska from Seattle?  Given that Seattle is a "hotspot" for the virus, I'm not sure Alaskans would be too happy with that situation, even if the legalities were suspended.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Ditto.  I've already canceled everything we've pre-booked, just waiting to cancel IF HAL doesn't.

We are waiting, too.  But I imagine HAL would much prefer that we cancel, so they can give us a FCC, rather than they cancel and have to give us our money back....

• Like 2

1 minute ago, T8NCruise said:

Do you mean bypass Canadian ports and sail directly to Alaska from Seattle?  Given that Seattle is a "hotspot" for the virus, I'm not sure Alaskans would be too happy with that situation, even if the legalities were suspended.

That's a good point. But so many of the stops on Alaska cruises are just that, one-day stops. How many cities in Alaska could take flights full of cruisers and manage embarkation? 

3 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

We are waiting, too.  But I imagine HAL would much prefer that we cancel, so they can give us a FCC, rather than they cancel and have to give us our money back....

That's exactly what I'm thinking.  It's a waiting game...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

That's a good point. But so many of the stops on Alaska cruises are just that, one-day stops. How many cities in Alaska could take flights full of cruisers and manage embarkation? 

Anchorage?

33 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

They need to refund the money,can’t sail from Vancouver, cruise is cancelled, refund the money, simple

29 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Me thinks the various cruise line ops centers are very busy right now finding locations to lay up ships with skeleton crews for the next three months 

Yeppers.... should we get a pool going as to how long before HAL follows the Princess Plan??

Here's another link to the story written by a colleague of mine.

https://www.citynews1130.com/2020/03/13/feds-announce-flight-restrictions-cruise-ship-ban-amid-covid-19-outbreak/

Edited by CruisingAndDiving
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This move by the Canadian government doesn't make a lot of sense considering they allow 1000's of people a day to fly into Canadian airports from all around the world with little or no screening. Packed airports waiting rooms and waiting around luggage carousels seems just as likely to spread the virus. All just for show. 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Me thinks the various cruise line ops centers are very busy right now finding locations to lay up ships with skeleton crews for the next three months 

Hi Copper, will the crisis in Italy have any effect on Ryndam progress at the shipyard?

Stay safe out there.