Royal Caribbean suspends all cruising in US

Charles4515

My hubby had an interesting take.  This is just speculation.... what if RCCI has a supplemental insurance policy that kicks in after a state of Emergency is declared.  Might answer the question as to timing.  My cruise is on April 11,  Not sure whether I am happy that it is still a go or just wish they would pull the band aid off already.  Had come to terms with the cancellation and now not so sure

• Like 2

Just amazed by some of these comments.  We are in a worldwide pandemic of a very nasty virus.  Illness and death. The US government just declared a State of Emergency.  My local supermarkets have empty shelves due to panic buying.  Our schools are closed.  Many kids have no access to school lunches all of a sudden. Many people including Celebrity employees have to stay home from work.  But let's continue to pretend that none of this is very important and just blame everybody we can because our vacations were disrupted.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Just amazed by some of these comments.  We are in a worldwide pandemic of a very nasty virus.  Illness and death. The US government just declared a State of Emergency.  My local supermarkets have empty shelves due to panic buying.  Our schools are closed.  Many kids have no access to school lunches all of a sudden. Many people including Celebrity employees have to stay home from work.  But let's continue to pretend that none of this is very important and just blame everybody we can because our vacations were disrupted.

Completely agree.  This is such a fluid event and the people who sit and complain should have done this attitude are so self centered right now.  People look at what is happening.  I work in a level 1 trauma hospital it’s getting to be chaos.  Sorry the cruise has been cxcled but in bigger picture it was the right thing to do. Yes you might be inconvenienced but now is the time to step up and help your neighbor and anyone else affected by this.  Hope you understand the down stream affect this has on everyone.  I deal with IT at my hospital and have many friends who work in supply chain. Think of the impact of just cxl all cruises has to so many others.  

• Like 4

It’s almost 11 am the day we were supposed to board. 4 couples booked together direct thru celebrity.

We called celebrity in the afternoon yesterday and were told the cruise is on. We received emails around 9:30 pm last night That the cruise was canceled. 1 of us received a call after 10 pm because we had booked air with them and we got air changed for the 2 couples on same flight. 1 couple received a text this morning at 945am. 1 couple (who originally booked and paid deposit on 3 cabins) has still received nothing but the email. 

That is not communication and customer care. Sorry, but those of us here should have been at least texted immediately. Not everyone checks email on vacation at night. 

And many people could and should have heeded the warnings from the events in Asia in Feb, followed by all the info about the virus spreading world wide. Instead, they said, "I won't let fear rule my life!" and decided to keep these cruises rather than cancel and get FCC offered last week. Now shocked at the messy disruptions of fully predictable cancelled cruises, and blaming the company that is trying to handle hundreds of thousands of problems.

Edited by mayleeman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

Given we had a thread on when to purchase RCI shares at their lowest price on order to make a profit nothing should surprise us on here.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Antropos said:

Note that you can opt for a cash refund up until the FCC expiration date, which is 31 Dec 2021. Since all future cruises seem to be priced considerably higher than what I paid for my just canceled cruise, that extra 25% may come in handy. So, for now I'm taking the 125% FCC knowing I can always convert it to 'king cash' should I need the money (for a lower priced cruise with a different line). 

FCC would be worthless if the company goes under or if you get that you cannot travel or heaven forbid die.

Give me the cash anyday.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

THIS!

Just unbelievable,  the apparent attitudes, of some folks on here during such an unprecedented, world-wide crisis.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

https://presscenter.rclcorporate.com/press-release/82/royal-caribbean-announces-voluntary-suspension-of-cruising/?fbclid=IwAR1S7u0qgQvvNYzVvb89Wm5jY2k8dhDOA5-mJGsmZjLvBVphvAt8R_wucno

Saturday, March 14, 2020

MIAMI - Given global public health circumstances, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. has decided to suspend the sailings of our fleet globally at midnight tonight.

We will conclude all current sailings as scheduled and assist our guests with their safe return home.

As with our announcement yesterday regarding U.S. sailings, we expect to return to service on April 11, 2020.

• Like 1

We are taking the 125% and applying it towards a cruise we already have booked for Feb 2021. It would be nearly impossible to offer every impacted customer their same terms on a comparable future itinerary. Who defines what's comparable and deals with the fallout of the people who didn't meet the definition of comparable? That's a massive can of worms best left unopened. The deal we got on our 3/29 Edge cruise was really good, but it is what it is. We're moving on. 

I also thinks it's extremely premature to be concerned about future prices. They just announced mass cancelations yesterday. And no one is to say these cancelations don't extend beyond April. These events are going to do a great deal of damage to the industry and may impact business for a long time. I hope they rebound but cruising in general got badly beat up with the events that have occurred. Whether the 'floating petri dish' ideal is unfounded or not, the reputational damage is done. 

Edited by paulh84

For impacted sailings, compensation of 125% Future Cruise Credit will be processed automatically. Future Cruise Credit is good through end of 2021. It is not necessary to call unless you’d like a 100% refund. 

03/14/2020: Celebrity Infinity

03/14/20: Celebrity Equinox - 7 Night Eastern Caribbean Cruise

03/14/2020: Celebrity Summit - 7 Night Southern Caribbean Cruise

03/15/20: Celebrity Edge - 7 Night Western Caribbean Cruise

03/15/20: Celebrity Eclipse - 15 Night Chile To San Diego Cruise

03/15/2020: Celebrity Silhouette - 12 Night Southern Caribbean Cruise

03/20/20: Celebrity Solstice - 12 Night Australia's Great Barrier Reef Cruise

03/21/20: Celebrity Millennium - 2 Night Heroes Free Cruise

03/21/20: Celebrity Summit

03/21/20: Celebrity Infinity - 2 Night Bahamas Cruise

03/21/20: Celebrity Equinox - 7 Night Western Caribbean Cruise

03/21/20: Celebrity Xploration - 7 Night Galapagos Southern Loop Cruise

03/21/20: Celebrity Xpedition -7 Night Galapagos Northern Loop Cruise

03/22/20: Celebrity Edge - 7 Night Eastern Caribbean Cruise

03/22/20: Celebrity Flora - 7 Night Galapagos Inner Loop Cruise

03/23/20: Celebrity Infinity - 5 Night Western Caribbean Cruise

03/23/2020: Celebrity Millennium - 2 Night Heroes Free Cruise

03/23/2020: Celebrity Reflection - 11 Night Ultimate Caribbean Cruise

03/25/20: Celebrity Millennium - 2 Night Heroes Free Cruise

03/27/20: Celebrity Millennium - 2 Night Heroes Free Cruise

03/27/2020: Celebrity Silhouette - 9 Night Southern Caribbean Cruise

03/28/20: Celebrity Infinity

03/28/20: Celebrity Summit

03/28/20: Celebrity Equinox - 7 Night Eastern Caribbean Cruise

03/28/20: Celebrity Xploration - 7 Night Galapagos Southern Cruise

03/28/20: Celebrity Xpedition - 7 Night Galapagos Northern Cruise

03/29/2020: Celebrity Millennium - 2 Night Heroes Free Cruise

03/29/20: Celebrity Edge - 7 Night Western Caribbean Cruise

03/29/2020: Celebrity Flora - 7 Night Galapagos Outer Loop Cruise

03/30/20: Celebrity Eclipse - 7 Night Pacific Northwest &
California

03/31/20: Celebrity Millennium - 2 Night Heroes Free Cruise

04/1/20: Celebrity Apex - 4 Night Apex Preview Sailing Cruise

04/1/20: Celebrity Solstice - 13 Night South Pacific, Fiji, & Tonga Cruise

04/2/20: Celebrity Millennium - 2 Night Heroes Free Cruise

04/3/2020: Celebrity Reflection - 10 Night Ultimate Caribbean Cruise

04/4/2020: Celebrity Summit - 7 Night Southern Caribbean Cruise

04/4/20: Celebrity Millennium - 2 Night Heroes Free Cruise

04/4/20: Celebrity Infinity - 2 Night Bahamas Cruise

04/4/20: Celebrity Equinox - 7 Night Western Caribbean Cruise

04/4/20: Celebrity Xploration - 7 Night Galapagos Southern Loop Cruise

04/4/20: Celebrity Xpedition - 7 Night Galapagos Northern Loop Cruise

04/5/20: Celebrity Apex - 8 Night Maiden Voyage Spain & Portugal Cruise

04/5/20: Celebrity Edge - 7 Night Galapagos Inner Loop Cruise

04/5/20: Celebrity Flora - 7 Night Eastern Caribbean Cruise

04/5/2020: Celebrity Silhouette - 12 Night Southern Caribbean Cruise

04/6/2020: Celebrity Infinity

04/6/2020: Celebrity Millennium - 4 Night Heroes Fundraising Cruise

04/10/2020: Celebrity Millennium - 5 Night Heroes Fundraising Cruise

7 minutes ago, candydane said:

Actually Celebrity is saying the 30th day for cancellations is April 10th.  

Not sure what calendar they used . . .😜

My guess (and that's all it is) is that the changing dates reflect that this was in the works for a couple of days. The first list that came out indicated 30 days, if you counted the day of the announcement. The current(?) list might be based on 30 days from when the policy was proposed. 

There's also the whole left hand, right hand, lost in space theory.

22 hours ago, bluwes said:

Our sailing is gone. Our next job is getting our mega dollar business class flights refunded. Don't hold out much hope

Since the US government restrictions were issued after you purchased your flights, the airline should refund the price of your tickets as I would think that you wouldn’t be allowed to board?

We're on the same Reflection Cruise. I just checked X's website and although other X ships are listed for April, the Reflection is not. ??

Edited by C-Dragons