Are our cruising days over? (merged topics re: health and age restrictions)

WmFCoyote

I received the following e-mail from my T.A. this afternoon. I tried to call her back but was not able to get through to her. Both of us are over 70 and I have diabetes so it looks like we are out in the cold. We still have an Alaska cruise scheduled for 16 May 2020 RT from LA and we have not canceled as of yet. It doesn't look like any "bonus" FCC will do us any good as we probably will not be allowed to board the ship. I am assuming that our cruise to Asia on 16 December is also shot. Guess there is not much we can do.....

Dear xxxxxx

It's no secret that the world is a challenging place at the moment which is affecting all of us in some way or another!  Many of you have already canceled your upcoming travel plans or maybe trying to decide what to do in the coming weeks.  I wanted to make you aware of a new policy being implemented by almost all cruise lines as they continue to make sure they keep their passenger and crew as safe as possible.

Effective Monday, March 16, 2020, any person age 70 or older must present written verification from a qualified physician certifying that the person has no severe, chronic medical condition and is fit to travel and in good health. Additionally, any person with a severe, chronic medical condition, including those specified by the CDC – i.e. chronic heart, lung, liver, or kidney disease, diabetes, HIV/AIDS, or cancer – will be unable to sail.

It's important to confirm if you are going to continue with your cruise plans that you are aware of any new policies and procedures for boarding.

If you are unable to provide a "fit to travel" letter from your physician or have a compromising medical condition, they will provide you with a Future Cruise Credit to come back and sail with them at a later time.

If you have any questions at all, please reach out to me and we will walk thru the changes together!  I can't thank you all enough for your business and hope that going forward you will help spread the word how important it is to use a travel professional!

My Best

• Like 1

The kicker in the e-mail is:

If you are unable to provide a "fit to travel" letter from your physician or have a compromising medical condition, they will provide you with a Future Cruise Credit to come back and sail with them at a later time.

Will PCL cure me of Diabetes? That would be wonderful as I have been fighting this disease for over 20 years. So until I am over this disease Princess will provide me with a Future Cruise Credit? 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, cruiserchuck said:

I would expect that after the virus runs its course (hopefully) in a few months, the requirements for a Doctor's note will be eliminated.  

That's implied in the message.  If you're not allowed to cruise because of age or medical condition, you get a future cruise credit.  Obviously, this is intended to be short term condition.

• Like 3

We are in a similar situation. We are booked for a Royal Caribbean  cruise to the Mediterranean for May 2.. Their new policy mandating this required letter, does not state it will be lifted at any time for any reason, now, or going forward. A generic qualifier saying they have the right to modify any of their protocol can be changed at any time. So if you have asthma, diabetes or other ailment that will never go away, a future cruise credit is worthless. They offer you no other option.  They get to keep your money. Obviously Royal Caribbean and other cruise lines in the association who implemented this,   must have realized the large group of us, but have done nothing, nor has our government to this point. Best advice is to contact your congressman.

34 minutes ago, cruiserchuck said:

I would expect that after the virus runs its course (hopefully) in a few months, the requirements for a Doctor's note will be eliminated.  

That's what I was thinking. Huge numbers of cruisers, especially those on long voyages, are over 70. And many many adults have diabetes. Surely when this virus has run its course the policy will be reversed. I take comfort in the fcc being offered.

Edited by 1965
  • Like 2

I guess all of the cruise lines are slitting their throats! Especially, those like

Viking Ocean..... 

Do demographics mean anything? I really do not know anyone who has a perfect

body in perfect health! So, someone who turned 70 and is managing a diabetes

diagnosis is up the creek? No more sailing for you...

• Like 1

A few years ago, my husband's family took their 80 year old Mom on an

Alaskan cruise to all be together. She had her oxygen tank with her and this

was such a nice opportunity for her to be with and enjoy her family. 

So...…………… so much for that! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Adventures ahead said:

It mentions a "severe" (and chronic) condition. Maybe if your chronic condition is stable, your doctor could issue a "fit to travel" letter.

The letter states specifically, chronic medical condition. True, many are being managed,

but that does not negate their existence allowing a fit to travel situation- at least according

to the information we currently have. 

1 minute ago, Adventures ahead said:

It mentions a "severe" (and chronic) condition. Maybe if your chronic condition is stable, your doctor could issue a "fit to travel" letter.

That is not what is being said in the e-mail. 

Additionally, any person with a severe, chronic medical condition, including those specified by the CDC – i.e. chronic heart, lung, liver, or kidney disease, diabetes, HIV/AIDS, or cancer – will be unable to sail.

The e-mail is open ended, it might never be rescinded and I might have a Future Cruise Credit that either I would never be able to use or it might expire.

Basically, I will need to get heart surgery to correct my congenital heart defect if 

I want to cruise again. Obviously the defect has not stopped me from having two natural

childbirths. BUT- DO NOT LET ME ON THAT SHIP!!!

I guess I better get busy and cancel 3 cruises now. And how I LOVE to sail!

Please, how can we find out if this is not bogus? Can not call Princess because they

are on overload.

33 minutes ago, 1965 said:

Huge numbers of cruisers, especially those on long voyages, are over 70

If the majority of those who sail on longer voyages are over 70, and that somehow becomes a liability, one would think that they would discontinue the longer sailings, thus eliminating the liability. Only time will tell.

Edited by CineGraphic

46 minutes ago, WmFCoyote said:

The E-mail was received from my T. A. whom I have dealt with for quite awhile. I called her and she confirmed that the e-mail was factual

I saw this two days ago.  It was a proposal by the Cruise Lines International Association.  From your post it looks like it has been adopted.  Time will tell.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/03/11/proposal-white-house-cruise-industry-bar-people-70-ships/5020325002/

According to the link provided by  bluesea321 it has been adopted by NCL referencing anyone who could be compromised if coming in contact with Covid 19. RCCL is enacting a permanent requirement.  No definitive action yet by any of the CCL lines. Anticipate more fallout 

I'm not impacted but hope it isn't permanent for those who are

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

I saw this two days ago.  It was a proposal by the Cruise Lines International Association.  From your post it looks like it has been adopted.  Time will tell.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/03/11/proposal-white-house-cruise-industry-bar-people-70-ships/5020325002/

Not quite.  It is a blanket assumption by the TA. "almost all". 

It was a "proposal".

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Ombud said:

According to the link provided by  bluesea321 it has been adopted by NCL referencing anyone who could be compromised if coming in contact with Covid 19. RCCL is enacting a permanent requirement.  No definitive action yet by any of the CCL lines. Anticipate more fallout 

I'm not impacted but hope it isn't permanent for those who are

Like you said RCCL is enacting the requirement.  I found their template to give to the doctor (see attachment).  Good luck in getting doctors to sign off on this.  I don't know if/when CCL will adopt the CLIA proposal but all the cruise lines are closely following each other so it would not surprise me if they did also.

rccl-approved-physician-letter.pdf

7 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

Like you said RCCL is enacting the requirement.  I found their template to give to the doctor (see attachment).  Good luck in getting doctors to sign off on this.  I don't know if/when CCL will adopt the CLIA proposal but all the cruise lines are closely following each other so it would not surprise me if they did also.

rccl-approved-physician-letter.pdf 484.79 kB · 1 download

Is this line problematic? 

make this patient susceptible to complications arising after infection with the Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)/COVID-19.

just wow. Glad I'm a few years away. Sneaky that pax have to complete a form BEFORE they know if they'll even be able to use FCC

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WmFCoyote said:

I received the following e-mail from my T.A. this afternoon. I tried to call her back but was not able to get through to her. Both of us are over 70 and I have diabetes so it looks like we are out in the cold. We still have an Alaska cruise scheduled for 16 May 2020 RT from LA and we have not canceled as of yet. It doesn't look like any "bonus" FCC will do us any good as we probably will not be allowed to board the ship. I am assuming that our cruise to Asia on 16 December is also shot. Guess there is not much we can do.....

Dear xxxxxx

It's no secret that the world is a challenging place at the moment which is affecting all of us in some way or another!  Many of you have already canceled your upcoming travel plans or maybe trying to decide what to do in the coming weeks.  I wanted to make you aware of a new policy being implemented by almost all cruise lines as they continue to make sure they keep their passenger and crew as safe as possible.

Effective Monday, March 16, 2020, any person age 70 or older must present written verification from a qualified physician certifying that the person has no severe, chronic medical condition and is fit to travel and in good health. Additionally, any person with a severe, chronic medical condition, including those specified by the CDC – i.e. chronic heart, lung, liver, or kidney disease, diabetes, HIV/AIDS, or cancer – will be unable to sail.

It's important to confirm if you are going to continue with your cruise plans that you are aware of any new policies and procedures for boarding.

If you have any questions at all, please reach out to me and we will walk thru the changes together!  I can't thank you all enough for your business and hope that going forward you will help spread the word how important it is to use a travel professional!

My Best

Agree with you.  For the time being, at least until a vaccine is developed, tested, and safe for the public.   Especially since you are in a high risk group.  Your age, plus underlying health issue, diabetes. I would heed the warnings from CDC, NIH/Dr. Fauci, and U.S. State Department.  And especially to avoid cruises.     Plus if implemented, your Dr. cannot sign off on the Fit to Travel certificate.  FCC advantage to the cruise lines for obvious reasons.

When it is more safe, you may be able to cruise again in the future.

Good luck, and safe travels (just no cruises for now).🙏🙏

JMO

Edited by Justalone

All this is well and good but PCL remedy is to provide a Future Cruise Credit with an expiration date. What happens if there is no cure for the Crono Virus and the diabetes does not go away before that time? PCL is not offering me a refund based on anything I can control. A FCC with an expiration date with PCL determining how suitable it is for me to cruise is not acceptable.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, WmFCoyote said:

All this is well and good but PCL remedy is to provide a Future Cruise Credit with an expiration date. What happens if there is no cure for the Crono Virus and the diabetes does not go away before that time? PCL is not offering me a refund based on anything I can control. A FCC with an expiration date with PCL determining how suitable it is for me to cruise is not acceptable.

If I had a paid-in-full cruise cancelled I would take the second option where I would get 100% of my money back plus a 100% FCC. The 225% FCC seems to me to be more of a "sparkly thing" to attract people's attention so they will take the "better" option that might not really be of any real value to them. How lame to take the huge FCC option and then find out you are now going to be "too old to cruise".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1