125% for credit or take the cash

3 minutes ago, Pianogrl44 said:

Anyone know if cruises leaving this weekend, March 14-15, offering a bit more in the FCC because of travel expenses?  I’ve heard of other lines doing this.

Did you book travel through Royal Caribbean?  If not, did you take out Travel Insurance?  If you have insurance that covers your travel to and from, they may reimburse you since the cruise cancelled.  You'll have to call them (and sit on the phone for hours I'm sure).  Otherwise, I imagine you can talk to the airlines and see what they'll do for you considering these exceptionally unusual circumstances.  I'm not sure that Royal Caribbean will reimburse you for travel you booked yourself. That's what cruise insurance is for. 

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

People that cancelled early are getting the same e mail offering the 125% if they were on one of the cruises that fell with the 30 days.  Other cruise lines are doing this as well.  It’s either a great gesture by Royal or a colossal IT screwup. 

That's good.  Thanks for the info.  

1 hour ago, rolloman said:

This is the deal RCCL is offering for those of us who are impacted by the decision not to cruise for 30 days. For each 1000.00 you get 250.00 extra for a future cruise, not bad, but think about this....how long will this no sail situation go? Right now it is 30 days, what if it becomes 60 days+?  IF it does extend to a longer duration,  RCCL is in deep trouble, possibly Bankruptcy trouble. If BK happens, you lose everything.....so in summation, even though most of us will book another cruise with RCCL,  taking the 125% future cruise credit is a roll of the dice.  

BK wipes out debt, has little impact on the cruise line.  Most people would never know.  Stock jumped 7% today after Royal announced a 30 day hiatus .

Edited by taglovestocruise
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

I think it's pretty clear that the best thing would be take the full refund. 

I don’t think anything is clear about this whole situation. 

mac_tlc

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

That’s where your insurance would be used. 

What kind of insurance will cover the flight expense due to trip cancellation? Credit card? Our airline offers credit good for one year now, but if I prefer full refund. Can I contact my credit card company to cover my flight insured for trip interruption? 

5 minutes ago, pineapple666 said:

What kind of insurance will cover the flight expense due to trip cancellation? Credit card? Our airline offers credit good for one year now, but if I prefer full refund. Can I contact my credit card company to cover my flight insured for trip interruption? 

Try your credit card but this is why people buy trip cancellation and interruption insurance. 

13 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

BK wipes out debt, has little impact on the cruise line.  Most people would never know.  Stock jumped 7% today after Royal announced a 30 day hiatus .

Wipes out shareholders, wipes out debts. Like debts relating to refunds.....it is of minor importance what the stock did today...what is of major importance is how long this freeze takes place and the ability for RCCL to pay its debts. With all the new builds and time out of service for existing fleet, this could get ugly in a hurry. Personally, I pray that it does not because I have a lot invested in the company the past 20+ years. Unfortunately the damage the media and alarmist have done may reach a breaking point.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, pineapple666 said:

It will depend on the type of credit card you have and the policy.  Both my visa and mastercard include trip cancellation as a benefit but you'd have to contact your own credit card company or look at the policy to see what is covered for your situation.

7 minutes ago, rolloman said:

Wipes out shareholders, wipes out debts. Like debts relating to refunds.....it is of minor importance what the stock did today...what is of major importance is how long this freeze takes place and the ability for RCCL to pay its debts. With all the new builds and time out of service for existing fleet, this could get ugly in a hurry. Personally, I pray that it does not because I have a lot invested in the company the past 20+ years. Unfortunately the damage the media and alarmist have done may reach a breaking point.

Keep in mind almost no airline bankruptcy plan has dared eliminate frequent flyer miles accumulated for fear of how it would impact likelihood of those passengers returning to the airline.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

You probably fall under the rules of the day you cancelled.  I assume you got 100% FCC? If you want a refund you could probably call and ask, or ask to get the extra 25% FCC.  But in all fairness, you agreed on a deal, so don't get too upset if they hold you to it. 

No idea yet. My TA first has to get the rebooking in her name, and then I'll let her work it out as to what we qualify for and what she suggests would be the best. The rebooked cruise is a few hundred $ more than the one I just canceled. I'm fine with the (100%) FCC, but if that's the deal I get, perhaps worth asking for the extra 25% as well. All I know is, these cruise lines are going to be hip-deep in sorting all this out - thousands of cancellations, rebookings, credits, etc. Sheesh. And I thought the March '19 Viking Sky was a complex situation!  That only involved refunds, etc. for @900 passengers. My TA, last night, must have been just worn out and a little frazzled. She was doing email with me while also on the phone with vendors and also working with clients at her desk. Similarly, in talking with my financial advisor - he too sounded the same way, going bananas with people panic-selling. What a changed world in just a few weeks!!!

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, elephant98 said:

Royal can’t count to 30 apparently. They made it very clear on their website that, “beginning at midnight tonight, we are pausing the fleet’s US sailings for 30 days.”   NOT

28, 30, all same....using Royal Math.

• Like 1

We were scheduled to leave on Sunday 03/15/20 on Liberty the Seas, I am choosing a full refund to be applied to my credit card as 125% FCC might be less of a value for a future cruise based on the lack of supply of cabins, itineraries and ships, just something to ponder. 

PS Trying to get by United airfare refunded now,  wish me luck 😬

1 hour ago, taglovestocruise said:

The last line is not accurate. The stock jumped 7% before the announcement. Stock trading was halted at that time to prevent any wild swings in stock price caused by the announcement. Check the graph.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RosieRoo said:

What about credit for booking onboard? Is that considered promotional OBC?

They have not specifically mentioned this but more FAQ’s are coming.  They may be the same as the previous cancel policy in which next cruise OBC was retained. 

• Like 1