125% for credit or take the cash

I just received an e mail regarding Celebrity.

“Anyone who made the voluntary decision to cancel their cruises prior to the announcement of voyage cancellations will remain with what they agreed to at the time of cancellation. “

I’m fairly certain the same will apply to Royal. 

• Thanks 1

We're in a different boat ... <ahem> ... we are/were booked on Serenade for June 14 out of Vancouver and, also yesterday afternoon, Canada said no ships over 500 passengers until July 1.  I emailed our TA but she's on the east coast and was probably already out of the office by that time.  

It's been booked for over a year to celebrate younger son's high school graduation.  And we had an aft cabin.  😪

• Like 1

I read over the first few pages, but not the rest so forgive me if this has been brought up. 

Does anyone know what they do with your current OBC that may be applied to your account (not given by cruiseline or TA) if your cruise gets cancelled? I have about $500 of OBC that I purchased using my RC points cc. 

We will be playing the waiting game for our cruise...due to we will be the first sailing after they lift the 30 days (if it doesn't increase after that). 

• Like 3

On 3/14/2020 at 8:58 AM, TexasRon said:

I just checked the website; my 4/13 cruise out of Port Canaveral does not show when I search for a new booking.  Perhaps it is 100% booked (it wasn't a few days ago, but people with flexibility may have moved there from canceled cruises), it may actually be cancelled, or, more cynically, Royal's IT department knows how to count to 30 better than the rest of the company.

There is a 4/12 departure from the same port for a longer cruise available still...

Following up on this...I reached someone at Royal in less than 10 minutes last night and he looked up the cruise.  It looks like, at that point, it was fully booked...so it did not show as available.  I guess people jumped on the lower pricing as 20-30 cabins (or more) were available when I checked before the 30 day announcement came out. 

I have cancelled all of our purchases for the cruise (drink package, wifi, etc.) to get that money in the process of being returned.  The cruise will be cancelled, but I am holding for now in case there is an additional "no cruise" announcement.  I don't want FCC; I'd rather have a refund.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Wondering the same thing, I submitted the refund request as well and I have not received anything further.  They indicated that a confirmation email would be coming but I also have not seen anything yet.  I assume that it will show up, but has anyone successfully gotten the refund confirmation email?

Dan

I haven’t got the confirmation email so far after submitting the refund request online. Did you book your cruise via agent or RCI directly? I just talked with RCI, and asked when I could receive the confirmation email. They didn’t know the answer, and just suggested me to contact my agent to re-submit the full refund request. 

Just been informed by RCL that our April 26 cruise on Jewel out of Barcelona has been cancelled. Not sure yet if we take the money back or keep the 125% FCC.

We booked this cruise on our last cruise and got a special rate because of this. Do you think RCL will offer some kind of discount for rebooking?

On 3/15/2020 at 10:20 AM, TexasRon said:

Following up on this...I reached someone at Royal in less than 10 minutes last night and he looked up the cruise.  It looks like, at that point, it was fully booked...so it did not show as available.  I guess people jumped on the lower pricing as 20-30 cabins (or more) were available when I checked before the 30 day announcement came out. 

I have cancelled all of our purchases for the cruise (drink package, wifi, etc.) to get that money in the process of being returned.  The cruise will be cancelled, but I am holding for now in case there is an additional "no cruise" announcement.  I don't want FCC; I'd rather have a refund.

I am doing the same thing.

6 hours ago, Brandis said:

Just been informed by RCL that our April 26 cruise on Jewel out of Barcelona has been cancelled. Not sure yet if we take the money back or keep the 125% FCC.

We booked this cruise on our last cruise and got a special rate because of this. Do you think RCL will offer some kind of discount for rebooking?

We are in the similar situation and agree with Biker19...fortunately, we were able to also "keep" our obc (received from booking onboard) towards our new booking.  Hope this helps.

On 3/14/2020 at 12:09 PM, RBKL said:

When you request a refund do you get the insurance costs refunded.

If you opt for a FCC does the insurance carry over.

How is the cruise RCI insurance handled when RCI cancels.

On 3/14/2020 at 1:21 PM, jrapps said:

I didn't see this answered and I have the same question. When Royal cancels your cruise do they also refund you the cruise insurance?

Also when they give you the 125% credit, is that 125% of just the cruise fare and the other items are still refunded to credit card? (Taxes, fees, etc)

On 3/14/2020 at 4:09 PM, mitsugirly said:

I read over the first few pages, but not the rest so forgive me if this has been brought up. 

Does anyone know what they do with your current OBC that may be applied to your account (not given by cruiseline or TA) if your cruise gets cancelled? I have about $500 of OBC that I purchased using my RC points cc. 

We will be playing the waiting game for our cruise...due to we will be the first sailing after they lift the 30 days (if it doesn't increase after that). 

We are on the 4-12-20 Anthem transatlantic that hasn't been canceled yet.  I called RCCL Saturday night to book the April 2021 Anthem transatlantic in case our 4-12-20 gets canceled.  The rep told me that the RCI protection plan cost is never refunded after final payment date, even if Royal cancels.  He also told me that any FCC is based on CRUISE FARE ONLY and that my prepaid gratuities, Air2Sea charges, port taxes and cruise planner purchases (internet package, drink packages, dining package) would all be refunded in the form of original payment if I cancel or if Royal cancels.

I also asked about Royal Caribbean Visa OBC, as I have $200 in OBC applied to our 4-12-20 cruise.  He said that thus far the points are being returned to the credit card if Royal cancels but not if the passenger cancels.

Edited by KelJ

On 3/13/2020 at 6:01 PM, Pianogrl44 said:

Anyone know if cruises leaving this weekend, March 14-15, offering a bit more in the FCC because of travel expenses?  I’ve heard of other lines doing this.

I am wondering the same thing.  We flew 1500 miles and were in New Orleans when they cancelled.  We found out 12 hours before we were suppose to leave.  Othere people can cancel their hotel rooms and flights we counldn't.

We just got off Grandeur of the Seas this morning , then they closed the Baltimore port. We had a 13 day cruise and got to two ports b/c of the virus, and missed San Juan due to weather. Staff went above and beyond for the 13 day cruise. I've never seen such hard workers in my life! RC offered full refund or 125% credit, with until Dec 31 to decide if you want a refund. So we basically got fed great meals and entertained 13 days for free. I'm not making any snap decisions.

My March 22, 2020 Freedom of the Seas cruise was cancelled.  I was offered the 125% FCC or 100% full refund.  I took the cash.  My TA told me I would probably have to pay a new deposit to rebook before the FCC was applied.  It made more sense to take the cash.  

We decided to take the refund, today. We put out a lot of money for this cruise (for us), and I was excited about the extra 25%, but ultimately it no longer makes sense to keep cash tied up in these uncertain times. We have a small business which came to a grinding halt, so the economic impact has been swift for us. I'm now focusing on looking forward to the day we're no longer being told to stay in our homes, heck, going out to dinner will be seen as a luxury once this is all over with (I'm in TX where all restaurants, gyms, non-essential businesses, etc, are shut down). As many have said, once this blows over, we can always book another one.

Our April 5 cruise was canceled.  I originally booked this through our big box store CO----.  I requested the refund on the link that was sent to me by RCCL.  I could not get through several times to big box store.  So, I hope it goes through.  Now, I need to have DELTA refund our 8 rt tickets from Detroit to FL.  Delta is offering vouchers good through the end of the year, but let's be fair.  Delta is asking for billions in bail outs because their financial condition is in trouble.  Well, so is mine, so give me back my money.

I canceled and then had my TA request FCC, but instead it seems they are processing a refund (?)  Oh well...either way. From what she said, it's been pretty crazy - even just getting to speak to someone at RC. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/17/2020 at 12:54 PM, Brandis said:

On 3/17/2020 at 1:01 PM, Biker19 said:

You already got it with the 125% FCC - I certainly wouldn't expect more.

We found a transatlantic cruise on Jewel in Oct. 2021 leaving from Barcelona we liked and rebooked that one. I then asked our TA if she would check with RCL regarding the Future Cruise discount we got on the cancelled cruise. She got back to us and informed us that RCL would honor the full discount as well as giving us the 125% FCC. On top of that, we only had to leave a $100 deposit per cabin to secure the booking until the FCC has been processed.

Now we get a 12 nights cruise instead of 7 nights without any additional costs. So make sure to check with RCL if they will honor any discounts you might have had on your now cancelled cruise.

Going ahead and making final payment this week on our July Alaska cruise.  I already have the same week booked for next year as a back up.  If the cruise gets cancelled the 125% FCC will cover the new cruise with a bit left over. I’ll also take the 125% OBC offer to rebook our shore excursions. Luckily being from Ontario our entire trip is covered under TICO in the event Royal goes under.  No risk for us. 

• Like 2

This year we currently have 3 cruises booked with RCI  and one with MSC , the first cruise is Rhapsody OTS in May , not going to happen. 
At first hubby said we would take the FCC once Rhapsody is officially cancelled and just book another  RCI cruise next year . My train of thought is take  the refund , why tie yourself to one cruise line, they are all in dire straights   and will all be fighting for your business once ships are allowed to sail again.  
 As much as we all love our cruises for many cruising is going to be a no go zone for many months to come .