Refund Status for canceled cruises: Retitled after merges

lahore

2 hours ago, LDVinNC said:

I do not believe they are processing refunds in any particular order, no matter what  they say. 

Got refunds for April 11 and May 9 cruises at the same time. 

I think they are also processing thousands of refunds and then sitting on them. On a certain date (let's say every 2 weeks starting a few weeks ago), they are released to the credit cards. I was told mine was processed 2 weeks earlier and then last Friday, they released them back to the credit cards.

This explains why a bunch of people all got refunds within a few days and then we waiting 2 more weeks and the same thing happened.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, LDVinNC said:

You only mentioned receiving a conditional credit.  Hence my answer.

But, it's only conditional because they haven't processed the refund that Princess provided yet because of their extreme workload.  All explained. 

9 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

Confirmed by Princess or your credit card? I have never heard of a credit card taking a couple of weeks to process...a few days is the norm, even during COVID?

I am not in the habit of returning things that have hit my credit card so I didn't know this could take time but, I've read that it can take up to 45 days to process the sheer volume of refunds that are occurring ... I was very surprised to learn this. 

52 minutes ago, Carnevale said:

So glad we went the cc dispute route as we now have our full refund for our April 12th cruise (cancelled on March 12th by Princess with our option 2 request submitted that day).  

so happy for You!!!  Did you get  any FCC?

17 minutes ago, dog said:

so happy for You!!!  Did you get  any FCC?

sorry....should have added that the FCC came sometime ago.  Now we have to wait for the refund of our deposit for a September cruise (cancelled by Princess before FP).

Doing the travel “unplaning” to take all of our trip arrangements apart is no fun!

10 hours ago, lanzie99 said:

The frustration is very high, lots of emails from Princess but no results. We canceled March 10 for an April 25 sailing. We are getting close to 90 days. We have a travel agent but I think he is overwhelmed too. Filled out all the paperwork and wanted option 2, lower value but complete refund. I will not book a future cruise until this is handled. 90 days is a long time to get your money back when we are all suffering right now. PLEASE PRINCESS, hire more help...keep your Platinum members happy so they will book again with you.

We went elite after our last cruise, the bad way they are handling these refunds and a complete lack of communication from them is upsetting, we may never cruise with princess again after this, we have a cruise booked next Easter but only deposit paid so far, princess need to up their game if they want to keep our custom. 73 days and counting, they owe us £12000.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, lanzie99 said:

Havent done that yet, I so thought Princess would come through and didn't want to get Capital One involved if I didn't have to. I will wait until the end of June, they I will protest the charge

OK, so my refund showed up Monday finally. Here's what I did to speed things along:

1. Sent an email to:
     customerrelations@princesscruises.com, csteinke@princesscruises.com, lwarren@princess.com, jswartz@princesscruises.com. Make sure the subject line of your email is something positive to entice them to read it. "Status of my refund" will get it redirected to email hell but "Why Princess is my favourite line" will undoubtedly suck someone in to read it. They need all the good news they can get right about now.
  2. Make sure your contact info is in the email and ask for a call back, not an email response.  Send a follow up email at least twice a day asking for a response and telling them you haven't received one yet. Princess President's office did call me eventually.
  3. Call your credit card company and tell them the dates that you sent emails or called and received no response. Challenge the charge because of the lack of response. 
  4. Wait. My cc company (Capital One) said they would give Princess 7 days to respond and after 7 days if no response was received, the charge would be removed from my card pending further investigation which could take 50 days. Meanwhile, on those 50 days the charge is not on your card.

Monday I received a call from Princess telling me that my refund had been released - exactly 7 days after my call to the cc company. They called today and told my wife that although they were refunding in chronological order, they wanted me to know they refunded ours in part to ease our concerns from the multiple emails. I'm sure a call from the CC company helped as well.

Keep on them and don't forget, they started this mess when they stopped the refunds. Don't take any pity on them because they're busy. That's nonsense.

We've taken 29 cruises, many on Princess and RCI. This refund affair has affected cruisers on many cruise lines. For us its left a very bad taste in our mouths and I don't think we're alone when I say that our attitude towards cruising may be irreparably changed. I think we all found out how much the loyalty program really means to the cruise lines when push comes to shove. 
Edited by nbsjcruiser
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

I am not in the habit of returning things that have hit my credit card so I didn't know this could take time but, I've read that it can take up to 45 days to process the sheer volume of refunds that are occurring ... I was very surprised to learn this. 

Princess is claiming this but it is absolute BS. THEY STOPPED THE REFUNDS IN EARLY MARCH!!

I've been saying this on multiple posts on cruise critic for a couple of weeks now. This is not 1820, its 2020. They have world class transaction software and hardware. If they're in the cloud they can order more hardware like you or I can order a pizza only it will probably arrive quicker than your pizza.

In early to mid March when it became apparent nobody would be cruising for a while Princess (and other lines) stepped in and stopped all refunds. Why? Perhaps they felt that after a brief respite, things would pass and return to normal but the more likely reason is that they were playing balance sheet gymnastics by using our money to help float them for a few months.

I've been in the IT industry for over 20 years. I've dealt with transaction systems from the operating system level. Companies do not have people sitting at desks processing transactions one at a time. This is not a Charles Dickens Counting House. To believe they do is utter nonsense and each and every one of us has been lied to repeatedly over the last few weeks. This is why I've been so alarmed with their actions. It speaks to their tone deaf response to this pandemic and also lays the groundwork for how they will behave in the future. Before anyone steps foot on another cruise you all better make sure you do your homework. If this affair has taught us anything its that all cruise lines priority starts with their bottom line first. Your loyalty programs, health, safety, money - they all get in line NEXT. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, nbsjcruiser said:

Princess is claiming this but it is absolute BS. THEY STOPPED THE REFUNDS IN EARLY MARCH!!

I've been saying this on multiple posts on cruise critic for a couple of weeks now. This is not 1820, its 2020. They have world class transaction software and hardware. If they're in the cloud they can order more hardware like you or I can order a pizza only it will probably arrive quicker than your pizza.

In early to mid March when it became apparent nobody would be cruising for a while Princess (and other lines) stepped in and stopped all refunds. Why? Perhaps they felt that after a brief respite, things would pass and return to normal but the more likely reason is that they were playing balance sheet gymnastics by using our money to help float them for a few months.

I've been in the IT industry for over 20 years. I've dealt with transaction systems from the operating system level. Companies do not have people sitting at desks processing transactions one at a time. This is not a Charles Dickens Counting House. To believe they do is utter nonsense and each and every one of us has been lied to repeatedly over the last few weeks. This is why I've been so alarmed with their actions. It speaks to their tone deaf response to this pandemic and also lays the groundwork for how they will behave in the future. Before anyone steps foot on another cruise you all better make sure you do your homework. If this affair has taught us anything its that all cruise lines priority starts with their bottom line first. Your loyalty programs, health, safety, money - they all get in line NEXT. 

Sadly we have reached the same conclusion. 

4 hours ago, DavidandHeather said:

We went elite after our last cruise, the bad way they are handling these refunds and a complete lack of communication from them is upsetting, we may never cruise with princess again after this, we have a cruise booked next Easter but only deposit paid so far, princess need to up their game if they want to keep our custom. 73 days and counting, they owe us £12000.

We are in the exact same boat, so to speak.  I'm a brand new Elite after our last cruise in January, but I don't know if I'll ever reap those benefits.  We do have one more booked in Sept 2021 with just an $100 future cruise deposit.  Since we've been waiting over 60 days for our refunds ($5,000) for this year's cancelled cruises, I've pretty much decided it's not in my best interest to pay ahead for any future cruises.  From now on, I'll let payment wait until the last possible moment.  

15 hours ago, Chips401 said:

Refund Came!

Just wanted to let people know that today our full refund came on to our Visa. We cancelled March 12th.  We were suppose to sail on April 6th.  We received credit for the full price of cruise and two excursions.  We also have been credited on our account for future cruise credits.

There is Hope, just wait it out.

We just got our refund this week for a cruise on March 22nd, cancelled by Princess on March 12th.  I selected option 2, and the FCC posted about a month ago.  We plan to book another cruise with Princess for next winter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here is yet another slant on how/when FCCs & cash are paid.  (in the UK)

Refunds will be process and prioritised by sailing date of the cancelled voyage and Future Cruise Credits will be created in the order of when the guest preference was received

I have it in writing!!

Edited by Aulanis

2 hours ago, nbsjcruiser said:

OK, so my refund showed up Monday finally. Here's what I did to speed things along:

While I respect the fact that you did a lot to get your refund, the fact that MANY people (myself included) have gotten refunds this week, yours may have just been in the normal course of events.  Or, indeed, they wanted you off their backs!

All I did was file cc disputes 5/13, got provisional refunds within 2 days, and got full refunds 6/2.

I was surprised at how Capital One took 7 days for your conditional refund - they gave me mine immediately.  But perhaps that is the difference between Canadian and US credit card operations.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, pompeii said:

We are in the exact same boat, so to speak.  I'm a brand new Elite after our last cruise in January, but I don't know if I'll ever reap those benefits.  We do have one more booked in Sept 2021 with just an $100 future cruise deposit.  Since we've been waiting over 60 days for our refunds ($5,000) for this year's cancelled cruises, I've pretty much decided it's not in my best interest to pay ahead for any future cruises.  From now on, I'll let payment wait until the last possible moment.  

Unfortunately, I have reached the same conclusion. I have sent an email off to Princess and address I got from aa prior post.  I got an automated reply back telling me it was received.  I will need this for my CC Company. Trying to get my ducks in order before I file a CC dispute after July 3 (90 days). That is when my patience with Princess ends concerning refunds and I will do what I have to do.

and another gem

Please note that due to the unprecedented requirement to cancel forward cruises, we are currently reviewing and working through all affected bookings. We would ask for Mr  xxxxxx' patience whilst we undertake this significant piece of work."

Apparently in preference to dealing with long outstanding refunds. 

We had B2B cruises March/April canceled in March. Since we were already booked for 2021 I selected Option 1 to apply the larger percentage of FCC to that cruise. Waited like everyone for the FCC to be processed along with return of vacation protection, EZAir, taxes, port charges, etc to my cc. Note that I used two different cc for these charges. The FCC was posted to my Princess act April 20 and 21st. A week later I called to see what was going on with the credit to my cards. I was told it would hit any day. Finally after waiting weeks for the credit I called yesterday. They had just credited 1/2 of my EZAir to my cc. The other half was still in my holding account. Apparently the reason for this is because I had changed my departing airport back before the virus hit. So there was some rearranging with air. Also I discovered there was more than 1 holding account for us. Maybe because of the two linked cruises, but I'm just guessing. The Princess agent asked if I wanted to transfer the EZAir monies to my 2021 cruise. I told her I might not use air and drive so can I use it toward my deposit. She said no. Then she said if I decide not to use EZAir I can get a refund. 

Now I walked through the other charges that have not been credited yet. She was very nice, but it all seemed to be a little confusing to her as we sorted through the various charges applied to the 2 cruises. I repeated everything she said for clarity and wrote it down. I was put on hold several times so she could check with another department. The answers to the various charges changed a couple of times, but I think it was because what she was being told from the other end. 

Then after a long time on the phone she checks with the other end again and tells me that on June 2nd all the charges for the 1st cruise was posted back to my cc. I told her it hadn't because I check everyday and it didn't even show anything pending, but I would check with the bank since my card number had changed. However, I have received other credits for other things and the new card number was not an issue. Also, wondered why she wouldn't  know this at the beginning of our conversation. 

By the end of our conversation we had clarity on which charges are going where, however, now I will wait to see. I called the bank afterwards and asked it they saw anything pending that hadn't been posted yet. They did not. I told the agent that rumor has it that refunds have been done manually. She asked it that meant that they sent a check rather than electronically crediting it back. If so that would delay processing so check again in a few days. Who knows we will see.

So in summary the FCC is only the base price of the cruise and whatever percentage perk they offered you. All other charges go back to the cc. Give them a call. Be prepared to be on the phone for a while. Apparently they can get the credit to your card in the works if it hadn't been done yet. Lesson learned only use 1 cc in the future.  Good Luck!

34 minutes ago, LDVinNC said:

I was surprised at how Capital One took 7 days for your conditional refund - they gave me mine immediately.  But perhaps that is the difference between Canadian and US credit card operations.

I did file dispute with both Chase and Citicard in US. Chase took 7 days for a conditional refund, Citicard was within a day. Neither asked for any supporting documents. They wanted to contact and get a response from Princess first and then would ask for documents later.

Edited by Coral

It took Princess 87 days for my refund to show up this week. I also thought this would never come.

Maybe it is by cruise dates. Mine was April 21st cruise. Also some people that were to cruise early May are posting they received their money this week. I won't tell anyone to be patient because that is very hard to do. Friend of mine on the same cruise disputed on her credit card a couple of weeks ago. Still not resolved and no money back to them other than the hold.

In my case, better I didn't dispute. I have the credit and can use it.

Princess didn't return my FCD . I will wait on this , not the big picture for us.Will call Princess later on.We got most of our money back and also FCC (option2).

I have been reading the HAL cruise critic board and people are just as upset as we are regarding money owed them.

I hope Princess makes it right for everyone and we can all look forward to a healthy future and fun cruising again.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, nbsjcruiser said:

If this affair has taught us anything its that all cruise lines priority starts with their bottom line first. Your loyalty programs, health, safety, money - they all get in line NEXT. 

We have 70+ cruises, 20 (elite) w/ Princess, and this is a point that seems largely overlooked:  these are the people we have previously trusted with our at-sea safety, and going forward we would have to trust them with our medical safety, too. But for us, the trust is pretty much gone. It seems Princess (and most other lines) have less-than-zero concern for their passengers, despite their claims. Do we again want to trust our lives to these folks?

Edited by latserrof
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, latserrof said:

We have 70+ cruises, 20 (elite) w/ Princess, and this is a point that seems largely overlooked:  these are the people we have previously trusted with our at-sea safety, and going forward we would have to trust them with our medical safety, too. But for us, the trust is pretty much gone.

Very well said. We have well over 800 days on cruise ships When trouble stirs, the executives don't know what to do. They publish excuses verses developing and publishing a correction plan informing their loyal base on how they will fix the problems.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, latserrof said:

We have 70+ cruises, 20 (elite) w/ Princess, and this is a point that seems largely overlooked:  these are the people we have previously trusted with our at-sea safety, and going forward we would have to trust them with our medical safety, too. But for us, the trust is pretty much gone. It seems Princess (and most other lines) have less-than-zero concern for their passengers, despite their claims. Do we again want to trust our lives to these folks?

Not me!