MSC Meraviglia corona case

kc13

12 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

That means the crew currently on board may have been exposed to this person and then they may have exposed the passengers currently on board.

My thoughts as well. You have to wonder how many people felt sick but didn’t say anything as to not ruin their vacation or were carrying the virus but weren’t displaying symptoms yet. I don’t know what to do. CDC won’t test unless displaying symptoms. There were 5 of us in our group and I’m sure it’s a long shot but it makes me wonder. I thought there’s no way it would be on our ship. I was wrong. 

Edited by kc13

1 minute ago, kc13 said:

My thoughts as well. You have to wonder how many people felt sick but didn’t say anything as to not ruin their vacation or were carrying the virus but weren’t displaying symptoms yet. I don’t know what to do. CDC won’t test unless displaying symptoms. There were 5 of us in our group and I’m sure it’s a long shot but it makes me wonder. I thought there’s no way it would be on our ship. I was wrong. 

You need to self-quarantine for the next 9 days.

2 hours ago, 2013cruiser2013 said:

Why can't I find any news articles about this? 

I know. I’ve looked on their website and it seems the only thing they e done is cancel their cruises. They claim no cases but that’s not true. 

3 hours ago, kc13 said:

I know. I’ve looked on their website and it seems the only thing they e done is cancel their cruises. They claim no cases but that’s not true. 

There is no proof that the case was on the ship. The passenger could have easily gotten it at the airport on the way home and been well within the 2-14 days from exposure to symptoms. Seeing as they have to report all health issues to the ports they stop at, and nothing was cancelled this past week, chances are it did not spread on the ship. This message was a courtesy notice just in case. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, slei15 said:

There is no proof that the case was on the ship. The passenger could have easily gotten it at the airport on the way home and been well within the 2-14 days from exposure to symptoms. Seeing as they have to report all health issues to the ports they stop at, and nothing was cancelled this past week, chances are it did not spread on the ship. This message was a courtesy notice just in case. 

How do you know? Symptoms take 2-14 days to develop. He could of ACTUALLY gotten it BEFORE the cruise and carried it the entire length of cruise without displaying symptoms. When the email was sent, it had just been 5 days post cruise and 13 days from the start of the cruise. We don’t even know when he/she first developed symptoms, when they tested, Or how long it took for the positive test to come back before they sent the email. It’s very fair to say this could of been on our cruise. It seems MSC doesn’t want to take any accountability by letting the public know. That’s a problem. MSC needs to be more transparent. It’s convenient the day I get the email they suspend all cruises out of the same port in Miami. 

Edited by kc13
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, kc13 said:

How do you know? Symptoms take 2-14 days to develop. He could of ACTUALLY gotten it BEFORE the cruise and carried it the entire length of cruise without displaying symptoms. When the email was sent, it had just been 5 days post cruise and 13 days from the start of the cruise. We don’t even know when he/she first developed symptoms, when they tested, Or how long it took for the positive test to come back before they sent the email. It’s very fair to say this could of been on our cruise. It seems MSC doesn’t want to take any accountability by letting the public know. That’s a problem. MSC needs to be more transparent. It’s convenient the day I get the email they suspend all cruises out of the same port in Miami. 

That was exactly my point...Nobody knows when or where he got it. It would be just as irresponsible of MSC to say he definitely had it on the ship, as they don’t know. As soon as they found out, they alerted every passenger on the sailing with that person. The suspension of cruises was out of every US port for every cruise line. The timing is a coincidence. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, slei15 said:

That was exactly my point...Nobody knows when or where he got it. It would be just as irresponsible of MSC to say he definitely had it on the ship, as they don’t know. As soon as they found out, they alerted every passenger on the sailing with that person. The suspension of cruises was out of every US port for every cruise line. The timing is a coincidence. 

I never said he had it on the ship, but it would be irresponsible to assume he definitely didn’t. I just hope the people that don’t check their email, know. Or in our case there were several of us booked but all used same email. 

• Like 1

How would MSC have known?  The person was tested once returned home to Canada and the Public Health Agency did what they do - contacted MSC to inform them of the contamination.  MSC in return sent the email.  

• Like 2

Having been on Meraviglia this year, we can confirm that there were crew members coughing while serving.  This was, and should never be acceptable.  MSC should monitor their crew daily to prevent the crew from spreading illness.  If that would require temperature monitoring continuously it would definitely be worthy of the effort.

In this busy time of changes and announcements from various entities, if anyone is traveling, I hope that they are checking various sources for potential updates which includes checking emails. And hopefully if they don't have a primary email linked to their travel at this busy time, its probably time to reconsider that or to set alerts on your cell phone, tablet, or something so you can see when important emails come in which can save time..

I get it. My travel reservations are not sent to my primary email. But, with everything going on right now, I am for sure checking the account that gets all my travel stuff, certainly the account linked to any upcoming travel that I am concerned about.  I'm not going to wait for an announcement on the local news, CC, or however else publicly it should have been done. Plus, the media will probably tweak the story and who knows how it will be presented.  It's way too much going on to not consider being aware of what's in my email. If my travel is linked to someone else in their account, I still need to consider my responsibility. It's hard to blame a company if someone chooses not to check their email. 

I was on the cruise before this one (the one that got denied porting at Jamaica and Grand Cayman) and came home very very sick. I was knocked on my ass for two weeks. If testing kits were available two weeks ago, I'd have definitely gotten tested. I either had the big C, or a very bad flu.

OP, I hope you are doing well. I relied on Tylenol Severe Cold & Flu for ten days.

If MSC  cares to rebuild confidence is it's cruise brand, it should implement strick staff monitoring of any illness, elevated temperature or coughing, and offer its crew paid time off to protect the passengers from any potential illness.  Only that will re elevate MSC's brand in the passenger shipping market.

6 hours ago, neptuno said:

If MSC  cares to rebuild confidence is it's cruise brand, it should implement strick staff monitoring of any illness, elevated temperature or coughing, and offer its crew paid time off to protect the passengers from any potential illness.  Only that will re elevate MSC's brand in the passenger shipping market.

Think auto correct got you.

On 3/25/2020 at 6:18 AM, dexddd said:

Think auto correct got you.

Not sure about "auto correct" but the fact is that we have come home sick from MSC cruises 33% of the time.  All in all, our record of sickness returning from all cruises in general is 20%.  Factor out MSC and that percentage drops drastically.  MSC sincerely needs to monitor crew health, and pay salary them to stay in their cabins when coughing or with fever.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/24/2020 at 11:38 PM, neptuno said:

Dear nep,  I agree and confidence should be rebuilt by every cruise line that has been hit with Cov-19.

When MSC was "hit" by a terrorist attack years ago, on its Achille Lauro, it took action by using Israeli security to this day. Something akin needs to be taken again by the new leadership of MSC and follow in the footsteps of their past great leadership to thwart this and future biological threats to their industry.