Experienced, multi-Alaskan cruisers needed.....

Davis2010

Hi friends!

Hubs and I are having to rebook our cancelled May 9th Princess Alaska cruise for our anniversary. When we booked the first time, we went the cheapest balcony itinerary. But now that we will have the additional FCC we want to book our best itinerary option.

Which itinerary below is your favorite/must do/will do again and why?

We will be booking either June or July 2020 with Princess.

DE7C17BC-C656-4DB6-A699-92E714ACF2D2.png

A32E28F3-C8EE-421D-B061-16661D919B03.png

CDA9D2A0-943D-424A-852F-D62D21B4B257.png

BF17F3B7-0403-4254-8D1C-8862C8387C62.png

Yup, all cruises before July won't be happening and I would think twice about booking for July just yet!

We're booked on the May 17th sailing from Vancouver, so ours won't be happening either. However, we're outside the 150% FCC range right now, so we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

The way things are escalating, I'll be surprised if there even IS a 2020 season, but nothing is certain except uncertainty!

Ignoring the fact that Canada has just cancelled all stops in Canadian ports, instead of posting screen dumps, why don't you just type out and post the itinerary including port arrival and departure times.  That would make it easier for us to compare cruises.    You might get more responses.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

And, some reading around the board would get you great info, like the very common recommendation for Glacier Bay as a high demand sight with limited access, or doing as many "Glacier days" as possible. Either of the Seward/Vancouver routes would be my preference.

As said above, all June Alaska cruises will be impacted by the Canadian shutdown. I suspect that if any do happen, there will be further itinerary changes, so I wouldn't want to be making any plans with hard and fast expectations.

Also, I  went to Princesses site and the maps don't reflect the actual itineraries, so we don't have all the details.

All that being said, I would recommend the northbound route for a couple of reasons:

- Glacier Bay is the best glacier experience. Not just the glaciers, but the cruise into the park with the park rangers aboard add to the experience

- Although the map shows it, Ketchikan is not a stop on this itinerary. Don't get me wrong, Ketchikan is a great town (especially if you like rain), but you can get similar Alaskan experiences in the other ports.

- I personally love Icy Straight Point, though some will find it boring. I consider it "Real Alaska" (says the guy who lived in Alaska years ago) . Almost all the people you meet will be locals - they live there year round. Hoonah a very small town, but you can learn about their Tlingit heritage as well as life in Alaska. Usually great whale watching, good fishing and wildlife viewing and one, really long zip line for those so inclined.

- The northbound route ends in Whittier (another unique Alaskan town where most everyone lives in 1 building) which can be a jumping off point for further experiences, time and budget permitting. You can take a Princess tour or rent a car in Anchorage and do it yourself and spend time in Denali and/or the Kenai peninsula.

Note that either of the one way itineraries will likely add both costs and time to you vacation getting to/from Anchorage.

Good Luck! Enjoy your trip!

I don't think the one-way cruises are worth the expense and hassle unless you're able to add some days in Alaska before or after your cruise (depending on which way you go). I did back-to-back cruises last summer, northbound then southbound, from Vancouver. I had a great time both ways. Our immediately previous cruise was a cruise tour--five nights in Alaska then a southbound cruise. That was also great. We also had a good time on our round-trip cruises from Seattle. If you do one of them, I'd recommend the one that includes going to Glacier Bay.

On 3/13/2020 at 11:07 PM, Davis2010 said:

Hi friends!

Hubs and I are having to rebook our cancelled May 9th Princess Alaska cruise for our anniversary. When we booked the first time, we went the cheapest balcony itinerary. But now that we will have the additional FCC we want to book our best itinerary option.

Which itinerary below is your favorite/must do/will do again and why?

We will be booking either June or July 2020 with Princess.

DE7C17BC-C656-4DB6-A699-92E714ACF2D2.png

A32E28F3-C8EE-421D-B061-16661D919B03.png

CDA9D2A0-943D-424A-852F-D62D21B4B257.png

BF17F3B7-0403-4254-8D1C-8862C8387C62.png

I would not book so early, Alaska has shut down until at least July 1st. If all were normal I would take the voyages of the glaciers with Glacier Bay on the Coral Princess. Agree that 7 day cruises are to short and expensive. If you can afford it do a land sea tour,  Denali and a 7 day or longer cruise package. 1. Vancouver is a beautiful city, one of my favorites. 2.ketchikan is very commercial. 3. Juneau is the capital and has loads of tours available, nice city to walk around.. 4.Skagway is a treasure, brings you back to the gold rush times.All the buildings are stone or wood with wood side walks, The city is just two blocks wide and about  5 block long. 5. Glacier Bay is a must see. Have not been to the other glaciers or Anchorage.  We did two 14 day cruises and it was amazing. Have a great time you will love Alaska, hope your cruise happens.My next bucket list cruise is the land, sea package.

Edited by skrufy
Correction

• 3 weeks later...

I have been on all these options ,  multiple times.   🙂  

There is NO best.   You certainly will get great experiences and enjoyment out of each one.   Instead-  I suggest you back up and and determine what you want out of your trip??   How much time do you want to invest?    Look at each inside passage Alaska port-  only 6,  and what each offers for touring,   each very different from the other.   Rank YOUR preferences  and use a guide.     I do not agree Glacier Bay is "best" and nothing else should be considered.    I actually experience the uniqueness of each which is always changing.    To promote- there is only one "good" choice is a disservice.    It involves one day.   Every trip will involve many compromises.     

I agree that one way cruises,  should consider adding on days for mainland touring.  My minimum is 7 days,  take advantage of being there.  🙂    

It's important to educate yourself about the details.   I see a lot of wrong assumptions made with Alaska touring.     Know what you are comparing and looking at in your research.     You'll have a far more accurate answer for what choice will be best for you.