How do an 87 and 89 year old get home from Freemantle?

Kindergirl

45 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Sailing to Honolulu to disembark there might be an alternative although Cambodia will also be in play since they have experience there now with Westerdam under similar circumstances. Sailing all the way back to FLL via the Panama Canal could present additional problems if governments in Central and South America (Colombia) close their ports 

I could live with the decision to go to Hawaii.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dillpickle48 said:

Forget any ideas about Auckland.  No cruise ships allowed and anyone arriving in the country by plane must then spend 14 days in isolation.  The same rules may be in place in Australia any time soon. News Flash . It has just happened.

No cruise ships.  All arrivals must spend 14 days in isolation as of midnight.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-15/coronavirus-australia-live-updates-covid-19-latest-news/12056788

Reading the referenced story, it says cruise ships arriving from international ports will be denied entry.  Since the Amsterdam is coming from an Australian port, she may be allowed to dock in Darwin.  Only time will tell as this is a very fluid situation.

3 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

If we go straignt to Los Angeles, that would eliminate the issue with so many people who can't fly.   

If only... however, personally I can deal with the relatively short flight from Honolulu, but not the grueling haul from Perth.

• Like 1

Good morning folks, or good evening to you all on-board. 
Thank you for keeping us informed. It was your posts that caught us up last night as we struggled to connect with the parents. They called several times but the connection was so bad we are unable to have a conversation. 
I have written an email to them this morning and just hope by some miracle they check it. I was hoping that since passengers now have free wifi that their tablet might connect automatically, so I’ve also been sending voice messages and texts. But maybe they have to actively connect even with free wifi?

All of your flight and travel suggestions have been so helpful! Now when your course is determined I feel I have some ideas of how to proceed.

Hang in there Amsterdamers. We are with you in spirit and we’ll keep a close watch on your next steps.

• Like 3

You've got to get to Honolulu first.

Sydney - Honolulu flying time is over 10hrs

Melbourne to Honolulu  over 11hrs

Unfortunately no direct flights from Perth to Honolulu - flying time is over 14hrs.

Yes it's a long way to anywhere from down here 😊

They've got a big job on their hands but I'm sure HAL will make the journeys home safe secure and comfortable.

Edited by cranethie

My understanding is that American Airlines will reduce their international flights by 75 percent and plan to ground all of their wide body aircraft.

Other carriers will no doubt be doing the same.  Another challenge.

i am astounded that anyone with a medical condition who cannot fly would even consider a world cruise, let alone be able to acquire out of country medical or trip interruption insurance.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

If we go straignt to Los Angeles, that would eliminate the issue with so many people who can't fly.   

I think that would take a while longer to get to and who knows if they shut down american ports sooner.   Best bet is hawaii and people fly to LA as expediency is key.  After that an abundance of options open, train, car, plane for people.

Hi Kindergirl, I sympathize with your situation.

Just so nothing is overlooked, you do know that Freemantle is the seaport for Perth, a much bigger city 9 miles away. I'm impressed by your thoughts of your folks staying at Perth or someone flying out to accompany them back. What I would like to add is:

-as a few cruises are terminating at Perth, staying there for several days may improve the chances of getting a workable flight.

-some major airports have sleeping rooms inside the security area. A couple of times we have consciously chosen misconnecting flights so that we could use these rooms to get 8 hours in a bed before moving on.

-I'm not sure where you are but in addition to the Sydney-Los Angeles flights available, Air Canada has direct flights from both Sydney and Brisbane to Vancouver that would also enable one to cross the Pacific without having to go by way of an Asian airport. The flying time for the segment is 14  hours. If you are on the East Coast, flights via Dubai or Qatar are possibilities.

- https://matrix.itasoftware.com/ is a website that seems to have all the air schedules in one place. You do have to read and use all the buttons to get its full benefits but it will then quickly give you a realistic picture of what air routes might be feasible.

Good Luck, Bill

Don’t forget Perth to Melbourne ( regular flights with QF etc) as this city has AC flights direct to Vancouver & virgin, Qantas, UA direct to SAN Fran & LAX.
Most of these are daily flights plus Jetstar, a cheaper Qantas budget service direct to Honolulu. I believe these are all flying as I type.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On 3/16/2020 at 12:58 AM, iancal said:

My understanding is that American Airlines will reduce their international flights by 75 percent and plan to ground all of their wide body aircraft.

Other carriers will no doubt be doing the same.  Another challenge.

i am astounded that anyone with a medical condition who cannot fly would even consider a world cruise, let alone be able to acquire out of country medical or trip interruption insurance.

Qantas is reducing its international flights by 90% and domestic flights by 60%

Qantas

Edited by MMDown Under

Just want to say that the HAL board was my first foray into CruiseCritic some 8 years ago, so popped on to see how all are doing.  Was touched by your thread. 

I hope all goes well Kindergirl and I'm sure that given the unusual circumstances, special arrangements will be put in place to help those who are stranded out in Freemantle.  Some great advice and I'm sure HAL will be pulling out all the stops to get passengers safely home. 

Update:  I have finally spoken with my parents and had started working on their medical waiver when they decided they’d do the flights. They are flying from Perth to Sydney to LAX to Tampa, where I will pick them up.  They do not want me to fly there and at this point I’m not sure of their flight numbers so trying to book the same flight back is not possible. I think they are worried about ME! 
i will say that when I spoke to Linda in the Seattle Family and Friends line, she was incredibly kind and helpful.  Even when I was abrupt she allowed me to apologize and we moved on. She got in touch with the ship and I’m guessing they came to talk to them, because Linda called back to let me know of their decision. I felt heard and action was taken. Thank you HAL for that support. 
And thank you to all of you for your kind words, understanding and excellent suggestions. 
To those of you who enjoy victim blaming saying elderly folks shouldn’t take cruises, please keep in mind that while perhaps there are good reasons for sticking close to home as we are now all learning, and while regulations will likely change if the cruise industry survives, these regulations were not in place, nor brought up when my folks booked their cruise, payed their money, nor when they got HAL’s platinum health coverage. 
Very few people could have predicted what the world would be like in March at the time they left on Jan 4th. Personally, I assumed that if they had a medical emergency, they’d get taken off the ship and I would get there to wherever they were.  Yes, we would then have to figure out how to get back but I would be there to help. I am not part of the “cruise community” so I had no idea other cruises have had to end mid way through. 
In times like we are in, we have to pull together. Stop being so judgemental picking apart everything to be able to lay blame. Support your neighbours and your community.  Let the little things go and consider that people are trying to do their best with their own circumstances and the information they have. Look for the good in people, know that are differences are our strength. Accept and give help as you are able. And above all please keep yourselves safe. 
end sermon 
Canada is mostly in lockdown now, but the US is way behind in containment. Today I will convert my car so the only thing I have to leave it for is gas. That’s how worried I am going to the US.  If you aren’t forced to do so, please still self isolate if at all possible. Keeping folks away from each other is the key to containment and it’s how you keep yourself safe. 
My thoughts will be with you all on the Amsterdam as you disembark in Fremantle, especially for those afraid to fly and those who are elderly and will likely pay dearly for this voyage...and no, not financially. Godspeed 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

I am so glad to read that HAL is taking care of your parents.  Hope all goes well with their flights.

PA is in lock down.  No malls open, restaurants are closed, liquor stores are closed, all schools and colleges are closed, grocery stores -- most are out of food.  DH is even having problems getting a prescription refilled.  We are in out late 70's and have had to cancel doctor appointments.  Have food for only 2 weeks -- not for 2 months.  Several other states are in the same situation.  Most are not.

Hope you have no problems getting to Tampa and back home.

• Like 2

@Kindergirl safe travels to you and your parents.

I have found that the most judgmental people often have a need to feel superior than others, because of a subconscious lack of self-confidence. Often a legacy of their upbringing. I admit it is often difficult at times to bear.

And kudos to you for recognizing the need to apologize to the HAL rep & then doing so.

• Like 4

Sounds like things are under control, as much as they can be. I think your parents are right to fly..... not remain with the ship. Despite what people would think.... it would not be a continuation of the cruise and would have very limited resources. Good luck to you and them.

Susan

• Like 1

@Kindergirl 

I'm so glad that you were able to make contact with HAL and they provided you with some help. You now have a plan and I hope everything goes well. 

Please, if you have some time in the future, let us know how this all turns out for you and your parents. I, for one, will be thinking of you.

• Like 2

Remember to take some nitrile gloves to operate the gas nozzles!  I made DH do that yesterday, and he was annoyed with me but he did it.  I take a pen top with an eraser to touch the pin pads, too if I can't  tap.  Stay safe and healthy, and let us know how your drive goes down to Florida.  

• Like 1

Gloves check, but I forgot about the pin pads. Thanks!

I am truly grateful for you all and I will definitely keep you posted. They are for sure going to want to see where I was getting all my info!

Stay safe everyone and if you are between Ottawa and Florida and you see a small and lonely black car on the road, that will be me. 👋 

• Like 3

Glad you Have a plan @kindergirl.    Not knowing is the hardest.    Just wondering if there are any nonstop flights LAX to YYZ?   Would be shorter but with so many cancellations who knows?,   

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 1