How do an 87 and 89 year old get home from Freemantle?

Kindergirl

13 minutes ago, Kindergirl said:

Gloves check, but I forgot about the pin pads. Thanks!

I am truly grateful for you all and I will definitely keep you posted. They are for sure going to want to see where I was getting all my info!

Stay safe everyone and if you are between Ottawa and Florida and you see a small and lonely black car on the road, that will be me. 👋 

BYOTP!

Bring your own toilet paper.  Though by the time you get to Florida, we might be restocked.

I am on the East Coast of Florida, but yell if you think I can help. Traffic should definitely be lighter, though there will be lots of semis on the road.  

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 2

Update:  I have finally spoken with my parents and had started working on their medical waiver when they decided they’d do the flights. They are flying from Perth to Sydney to LAX to Tampa, where I will pick them up.  They do not want me to fly there and at this point I’m not sure of their flight numbers so trying to book the same flight back is not possible. I think they are worried about ME! 
i will say that when I spoke to Linda in the Seattle Family and Friends line, she was incredibly kind and helpful.  Even when I was abrupt she allowed me to apologize and we moved on. She got in touch with the ship and I’m guessing they came to talk to them, because Linda called back to let me know of their decision. I felt heard and action was taken. Thank you HAL for that support. 
And thank you to all of you for your kind words, understanding and excellent suggestions. 
To those of you who enjoy victim blaming saying elderly folks shouldn’t take cruises, please keep in mind that while perhaps there are good reasons for sticking close to home as we are now all learning, and while regulations will likely change if the cruise industry survives, these regulations were not in place, nor brought up when my folks booked their cruise, payed their money, nor when they got HAL’s platinum health coverage. 
Very few people could have predicted what the world would be like in March at the time they left on Jan 4th. Personally, I assumed that if they had a medical emergency, they’d get taken off the ship and I would get there to wherever they were.  Yes, we would then have to figure out how to get back but I would be there to help. I am not part of the “cruise community” so I had no idea other cruises have had to end mid way through. 
In times like we are in, we have to pull together. Stop being so judgemental picking apart everything to be able to lay blame. Support your neighbours and your community.  Let the little things go and consider that people are trying to do their best with their own circumstances and the information they have. Look for the good in people, know that are differences are our strength. Accept and give help as you are able. And above all please keep yourselves safe. 
end sermon 
Canada is mostly in lockdown now, but the US is way behind in containment. Today I will convert my car so the only thing I have to leave it for is gas. That’s how worried I am going to the US.  If you aren’t forced to do so, please still self isolate if at all possible. Keeping folks away from each other is the key to containment and it’s how you keep yourself safe. 
My thoughts will be with you all on the Amsterdam as you disembark in Fremantle, especially for those afraid to fly and those who are elderly and will likely pay dearly for this voyage...and no, not financially. Godspeed 

• Like 7

59 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Glad you Have a plan @kindergirl.    Not knowing is the hardest.    Just wondering if there are any nonstop flights LAX to YYZ?   Would be shorter but with so many cancellations who knows?,   

That's negative, as far as Toronto-Pearson; Air Canada does have a daily non-stop LAX - YYC (Calgary), as do Westjet, Delta and United. Unfortunately do not know what the current status of those flights are under the current circumstances

Don’t understand the LA to Tampa.  Why not LA to Toronto, or NYC, Boston, Detroit, Montreal, or somewhere closer?

Westjet is cancelling all international flights as of the 25 or 26 of March.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, boulders said:

Air Canada has nonstop flights LAX to YYZ and YUL. I would try to get them into Canada as expeditiously as possible. Borders may close. Restaurants are closed in many places. 

True. I don't know where OP is coming from, maybe near Toronto? I know in our state and pretty much all around us the food options are dwindling to only things that have a drive thru or curb side option as most restaurant dining areas are completely closed now. And many are closing by 8pm, as are groceries. Bathroom options on the road may be pretty limited too. Our towns and cities are ghost towns now.

Tampa is a long haul from here, much less Canada. And with severely limited services and God forbid you have car trouble. I don't like to think about it. The only thing that's gonna be left on the road are semis so traffic will probably be fine but still. I know flying is something noone wants to do but a 20+ hour car drive one way is physically exhausting for driver and rider.

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 1

Our friends on the Amsterdam have just sent out an SOS as they were booked to fly from Perth to Melbourne and then on to Los Angeles. Unfortunately, LA airport will now be closed so they are now trying to work out how to get to the East Cost of the U.S. I have suggested either flying to Canada and then try to get a flight home or hire a car or alternatively, fly to Hawaii and spend time there relaxing until the flights can be resumed to the States.  Any thoughts. They were hoping that HAL would put on some charter flights but unfortunately that is not going to happen.

Jennie

4 hours ago, Aussie Gal said:

Unfortunately, LA airport will now be closed so they are now trying to work out how to get to the East Cost of the U.S. I have suggested either flying to Canada and then try to get a flight home or hire a car or alternatively, fly to Hawaii and spend time there relaxing until the flights can be resumed to the States. 

Oh Dear. Heard on the Tv news that Canada and USA are negotiating to mutually close our borders to non-essential travel. Possible announcement Wednesday morning. Once that goes into effect, flights between the two countries will be scarce. 

2 hours ago, Kindergirl said:

I’ve looked and can’t find any info about LAX closing and they do have international flight listed on today’s arrivals. 
@Aussie Gal is there any chance of finding out more info from your friends? How did they find out they can’t fly to LA?

It does not appear that LAX is closed.  They have implemented night time parking, etc. closures.  Simply Google "Is LAX closed".  You will get your requested info.  In fact, I think that LAX is one of the few airports designated for screening returning U.S. residents.  

20 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

That's negative, as far as Toronto-Pearson; Air Canada does have a daily non-stop LAX - YYC (Calgary), as do Westjet, Delta and United. Unfortunately do not know what the current status of those flights are under the current circumstances

This is completely untrue. Air Canada has four flights per day LAX-YYZ (788,790,792,796) and WestJet has one (1101). They all departed and arrived yesterday as scheduled. Air Canada canceled one flight today. Obviously, things are changing, and some or all flights may be suspended going forward. I'm amazed that people want to chime in with information that is not only false but easily obtained with the smallest effort.

Edited by LP Dad
Added airport codes

4 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

Oh Dear. Heard on the Tv news that Canada and USA are negotiating to mutually close our borders to non-essential travel. Possible announcement Wednesday morning. Once that goes into effect, flights between the two countries will be scarce. 

It has been announced, and flights are pretty much done anyway.
Canadian govt is announcing a financial package for those who have to stay put for the duration, but must still quarantine when they eventually arrive back in Canada.  Sorry to be so vague, just half-listening to the news while reading CC!!

14 minutes ago, T8NCruise said:

It has been announced, and flights are pretty much done anyway.
Canadian govt is announcing a financial package for those who have to stay put for the duration, but must still quarantine when they eventually arrive back in Canada.  Sorry to be so vague, just half-listening to the news while reading CC!!

Very sorry to hear that. All the best to Aussie Gal's friend. Perhaps, Hawaii is best. Don't know how long this wilt take.

Edited by HappyInVan

3 hours ago, Kindergirl said:

Hi Folks,

just saw this news. Omg. Now what?

just to clarify, I live in Ottawa, Ontario. My folks live in Sarasota. 
off to see what I can figure out. 
thank you all for The info!

When are your parents scheduled to arrive in Tampa?

I don't know if car services will still be running, but you might try looking for a limo service that will get your parents to Sarasota. Uber is still running in some cities, at least as of now. 

I know you want to be there to take care of your parents, but if they can get as far as Tampa, there might be other ways for them to do that last segment of less than 100 miles than for you to drive all that way and pick them up. From your posts, I had the impression that you were planning to drive them home to Ottawa. Are you planning to stay in Sarasota with them?

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
typo

3 hours ago, Kindergirl said:

Hi Folks,

just saw this news. Omg. Now what?

just to clarify, I live in Ottawa, Ontario. My folks live in Sarasota. 
off to see what I can figure out. 
thank you all for The info!

@Kindergirl

Please check whether you will be able to cross the border  because Trump decided  not to wait to issue a joint statement with Canada and just posted this :

Screen Shot 2020-03-18 at 11.26.36 AM.png

2 hours ago, LP Dad said:

This is completely untrue. Air Canada has four flights per day LAX-YYZ (788,790,792,796) and WestJet has one (1101). They all departed and arrived yesterday as scheduled. Air Canada canceled one flight today. Obviously, things are changing, and some or all flights may be suspended going forward. I'm amazed that people want to chime in with information that is not only false but easily obtained with the smallest effort.

You are absolutely correct and I should have done a much better job checking thoise flights before I posted the info! My apologies!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

KIndergirl,

There are times when the best course of action is to do nothing,  and for many that is the hardest thing to do.

If you haven't already done this please sit down and as objectively as you possibly can write down  a list of your options as you understand them and then write down the  pros and cons against each option.

The physical writing part is important. When you've done that go over what you have written and attempt to remove any adverbs and adjectives. That is not an exercise in grammar it will force you to be objective and be sure that what you have written is factual and not an emotional response or based on uncertain information.

Your already know well enough that your parents do not need your well being added to their current list of concerns.

Edited by old mike
spelling
  • Like 7

6 hours ago, LP Dad said:

I was not chiming in with false information. In fact what I said was true. My friends on the Amsterdam had sent me an email with the information that LA would be closing and therefore they cannot leave Australia until April 15th on Delta Air. They are looking into my suggestion of flying to Hawaii but as the internet is so slow on the ship, they are sending my emails on to their TA in the States.  I certainly would not be putting incorrect information on this Board if I hadn't heard it from my friends who are in the same difficulty as Kindergirl's parents.

Jennie