Canada postponing cruising until after 7/31

BND

4 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Full refund should be coming your way. 

Maybe not if they decide to change the itinerary and have extra stops or extra days in places like Bar Harbor, Portland, Boston etc  Or just cruising the St Lawrence and Saguenay rivers without a Canadian port stop.

Edited by M&A

2 minutes ago, M&A said:

Maybe not if they decide to change the itinerary and have extra stops or extra days in places like Bar Harbor, Portland, Boston etc  Or just cruising the St Lawrence and Saguenay rivers

The PVSA would come into play with no foreign port visits.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BND said:

The PVSA would come into play with no foreign port visits.  

So all Alaska cruises must stop in Canada?? 

5 minutes ago, M&A said:

So all Alaska cruises must stop in Canada?? 

The way I understand it is all cruises leaving from the U.S. must have a foreign port stop (I think it's called the Jones Act). Going to Alaska, where else are you going to stop?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

The way I understand it is all cruises leaving from the U.S. must have a foreign port stop (I think it's called the Jones Act). Going to Alaska, where else are you going to stop?

You are correct,  I just looked it up.   Unless it's a US registered ship they can't go US port to US port.

None of the cruise lines are registered in the US

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Full refund should be coming your way. 

But they may not let you know until the last minute.   We are booked on Ovation to Alaska in June, so it looks like that would be affected.

it has been a while since it was announced the port of Baltimore was closed, except to disembark passengers that are on a current cruise.  Royal has not notified those on the sailing of 3/19 of any change yet, and they still show that you can book that sailing.

9 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

But they may not let you know until the last minute.   We are booked on Ovation to Alaska in June, so it looks like that would be affected.

it has been a while since it was announced the port of Baltimore was closed, except to disembark passengers that are on a current cruise.  Royal has not notified those on the sailing of 3/19 of any change yet, and they still show that you can book that sailing.

But, if the US follows suit and closes ports here, then it's done and they'll contact people in order of cruise date more than likely.  They've probably been looking at options up until today.  I expect that Royal has a clue what's coming from the President's press conference/announcement and that's why they're doing theirs before that.  I'm expecting at least a 60 day cancellation.  

Edited by BND

3 minutes ago, BND said:

But, if the US follows suit and closes ports here, then it's done and they'll contact people in order of cruise date more than likely.  They've probably been looking at options up until today.  I expect that Royal has a clue what's coming from the President's press conference/announcement and that's why they're doing theirs before that.  I'm expecting at least a 60 day cancellation.  

Has RCL announced a press conference? I saw that rumor but also saw that Facebook was removing those posts. 

Just now, Floke said:

Has RCL announced a press conference? I saw that rumor but also saw that Facebook was removing those posts. 

It was reported in multiple places apparently, but I don't know.

Just now, Labmom3 said:

We went on a Princess cruise a few years ago that went to Bermuda first and than New England/Canada.  Perhaps they will change it to Bermuda and New England.

The followon (we're b2b) is Bermuda/Caribbean.  Doesn't matter for us anymore.  My DH's company has already announced the 14 day self-quarantine following a cruise.  He's not going to use 14 more days of PTO on top of our trip.  We have a b2b in Nov on Harmony booked already.

1 minute ago, Labmom3 said:

We went on a Princess cruise a few years ago that went to Bermuda first and than New England/Canada.  Perhaps they will change it to Bermuda and New England.

Bermuda is way out of the way as a foreign port just to go to New England.