Where are the ships going now?

Mudhen

Does anyone have any idea of what Regent is physically doing with their ships now?

Are they all just hanging out at the dock they ended up at? Will they be anchored off shore?

I would think it would be extremely pricey for them to just hand at the pier.

1 hour ago, Mudhen said:

Does anyone have any idea of what Regent is physically doing with their ships now?

Are they all just hanging out at the dock they ended up at? Will they be anchored off shore?

I would think it would be extremely pricey for them to just hand at the pier.

Well, the Splendor was supposed to be on a FAM trip for TA's over 12-13 Mar, which was cancelled.  Based on the positioning site I use, it was anchored just off the pier in North San Diego Bay last night.  This morning it is back at the pier, where it WOULD have been taking on provisions and new passengers.  Will be interesting to see where it heads around the original scheduled sailing time. 

On 3/14/2020 at 10:17 AM, RJ2002 said:

Well, the Splendor was supposed to be on a FAM trip for TA's over 12-13 Mar, which was cancelled.  Based on the positioning site I use, it was anchored just off the pier in North San Diego Bay last night.  This morning it is back at the pier, where it WOULD have been taking on provisions and new passengers.  Will be interesting to see where it heads around the original scheduled sailing time. 

We were in San Diego waiting to board the Splendor.  She came into the North Broadway pier at 0600 on Thursday morning.   We were staying close by and saw her dock from our window.  We left our hotel for the airport at about 1000 yesterday (Saturday) and she was still at the pier.  In fact she was still there when we took off for Toronto at 1215. (Saw here from the plane!)  More than that I cannot say.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

We were in San Diego waiting to board the Splendor.  She came into the North Broadway pier at 0600 on Thursday morning.   We were staying close by and saw her dock from our window.  We left our hotel for the airport at about 1000 yesterday (Saturday) and she was still at the pier.  In fact she was still there when we took off for Toronto at 1215. (Saw here from the plane!)  More than that I cannot say.

Splendor is still docked in San Diego as of the moment of this posting.

Splendor -- moored in San Diego

Explorer -- moored in Nassau, Bahamas

Navigator -- anchored in Tauranga, New Zealand

Voyager -- moored in Abu Dhabi

Mariner -- sailing towards Fremantle (Perth), Australia (shortened end of world cruise) 

16 hours ago, mdunne48 said:

Splendor -- moored in San Diego

Explorer -- moored in Nassau, Bahamas

Navigator -- anchored in Tauranga, New Zealand

Voyager -- moored in Abu Dhabi

Mariner -- sailing towards Fremantle (Perth), Australia (shortened end of world cruise) 

The Regent web site still lists the Explorer cruise R/T out of Barcelona starting April 17th (first day after the current cruise moratorium ends).  Disregarding the developing situation in Spain, it'd take Explorer over 8 days @20 knots (all the time) to sail from Nassau to Barcelona, at an absolute minimum.  So if the ship monitoring sites don't show her underway by April 8th, it isn't going to happen.  Also unclear whether sailing without passengers is OK under the current restrictions.

Similar test calculations could be applied to the other ships.  However, my personal vested interest is for our Explorer cruise scheduled for May 4th.

23 minutes ago, Portolan said:

Also unclear whether sailing without passengers is OK under the current restrictions.

As the Bahamas is not a U.S. Territory the present agreement would not be breached by Explorer setting sail from Nassau.

"CLIA ocean-going cruise lines will be voluntarily and temporarily suspending cruise ship operations from U.S. ports of call for 30 days ............"

Edited by flossie009

14 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

As the Bahamas is not a U.S. Territory the present agreement would not be breached by Explorer setting sail from Nassau.

"CLIA ocean-going cruise lines will be voluntarily and temporarily suspending cruise ship operations from U.S. ports of call for 30 days ............"

Of course, but Regent has suspended operations everywhere.

I am told (via a friend who has a relative who is a crew member) that the Splendor will remain in San Diago for the time being until decisions about future cruises are made. Also all crew still on board, which tells me they are being pad.

39 minutes ago, doc47 said:

I am told (via a friend who has a relative who is a crew member) that the Splendor will remain in San Diago for the time being until decisions about future cruises are made. Also all crew still on board, which tells me they are being pad.

I hope each crew member is taking a turn sleeping on the bazillion dollar Regent Suite bed!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Portolan said:

The Regent web site still lists the Explorer cruise R/T out of Barcelona starting April 17th (first day after the current cruise moratorium ends).  Disregarding the developing situation in Spain, it'd take Explorer over 8 days @20 knots (all the time) to sail from Nassau to Barcelona, at an absolute minimum.  So if the ship monitoring sites don't show her underway by April 8th, it isn't going to happen.  Also unclear whether sailing without passengers is OK under the current restrictions.

Similar test calculations could be applied to the other ships.  However, my personal vested interest is for our Explorer cruise scheduled for May 4th.

If this is Lisbon to Southampton, I would have said the chance of this cruise going ahead is slim to none, in the UK the news is for at least 15 weeks before any return to normal especially as the Iberian peninsula is badly affected by the virus . USA is behind the curve on this from Europe.

Keep well, but don't pin your hopes on 04/05 !

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, GrJ Berkshire said:

If this is Lisbon to Southampton, I would have said the chance of this cruise going ahead is slim to none, in the UK the news is for at least 15 weeks before any return to normal especially as the Iberian peninsula is badly affected by the virus . USA is behind the curve on this from Europe.

Keep well, but don't pin your hopes on 04/05 !

Oh, we fully expect our cruise to be cancelled.  Regent is, no doubt, scrambling to figure out what they will offer after the next few months.  I guessing it'll be closer to home like Miami to Miami with a sub-portion of the fleet.

My calculation above is only to demonstrate that we may see it being physically impossible before it'll be formally canceled.

• Like 1

Crew on Splendor were able to get off ship on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.  They now must remain on ship.  

This info via a friend who is a crew member on Splendor.  Last news they received was that ship would stay in San Diego until April 10.  The Splendor, of course, looked lovely from the Embarcadero.  I look forward to my November 13 transatlantic!

Hang in there, everyone.

Mariner is now moored in Fremantle (Perth) - 07:15 on Tues 17 March local time.

Presumably that officially marks the end of this year’s World Cruise.

Hope everyone can travel home safely & healthily without too much inconvenience.