Where are the ships going now?

Mudhen

10 hours ago, SusieQft said:

I thought the original idea (posted here anyway) was that some of the crew would disembark in Barcelona.  That was before we found out about the positive antibody tests.  Surely they can't go into dry dock with 450 crew on board, so they will have to find someplace to let them off before that.

As the Spanish ports are closed at least til June 7th and as they needed an exemption for the stop in Barcelona I doubt that they were planning to disembark crew there. The exemption was made because they suspected a case of Covid-19 and needed to get tests.

The 450 crew is the total of people onboard - this includes the repatriated crew and the still working crew. Wouldn´t make much sense to keep the repatriated crew onboard for a dry dock.

steamboats

23 minutes ago, steamboats said:

The 450 crew is the total of people onboard - this includes the repatriated crew and the still working crew. Wouldn´t make much sense to keep the repatriated crew onboard for a dry dock.

Of course, but they are not repatriated yet, which was my point.  I wonder if they even have a full crew (normal working crew) on board during dry dock.  They might need a slightly different mix and number than during normal sailing.  But in any case they presumably still need to repatriate the crew who are no longer on duty before they go into dry dock.

Usually it´s not a full working crew when in dry dock... A full working crew would include shops, spa, all waiters, cooks, cabin stewards. Depending on what kind of work is done many of them won´t be necessary and wouldn´t have nothing to do onboard. Sure you still need cooks and some more hotel stuff for the remaining crew but not all cooks who usually work in the main galley to prepare the meals for the passengers. Sometimes some parts of the crew stays onboard to do other stuff like empying cabins, tearing out carpets... (so supporting/preparing the work of the shipyard workers).

If it´s just a "small" job like working on the propulsion for a couple of days the crew usually stays onboard. Some time ago an AIDA cruise ship went into dry dock in Cadiz for two or three days even with passengers onboard.

steamboats

We are not aware of how many crew members got off of the ship so far (in the Philippines, etc.).  From what we have been told on CC, it is necessary to fix something on Navigator - not a typical dry dock - the ship already went into a "normal" dry dock last year.  It sounds as if they will only be fixing the specific issue that would not require having many people onboard.  

8 hours ago, steamboats said:

As the Spanish ports are closed at least til June 7th and as they needed an exemption for the stop in Barcelona I doubt that they were planning to disembark crew there. The exemption was made because they suspected a case of Covid-19 and needed to get tests.

Barcelona was the intended destination when Navigator left Miami.

If there was a problem with the authorities in Spain, Regent may have decided to disembark the European crew in Italy if the authorities in Genoa are more amenable.

Navigator has now docked in Genoa. It appears to have entered the harbour briefly at 12:30pm LT, then back out to sea before coming back in about an hour ago (5pm LT):

952274616_Navigator_28May2020.thumb.jpg.544d4b45c67de9ac5320deb1990fbd6c.jpg

2 hours ago, flossie009 said:

Barcelona was the intended destination when Navigator left Miami.

If there was a problem with the authorities in Spain, Regent may have decided to disembark the European crew in Italy if the authorities in Genoa are more amenable.

Navigator has now docked in Genoa. It appears to have entered the harbour briefly at 12:30pm LT, then back out to sea before coming back in about an hour ago (5pm LT):

Since the tests were false, it is possible that crew members did disembark in Barcelona (or perhaps could also be disembarked in Italy).  Only crew members and TA's (like Pcardad) know some of what is going on - Regent is likely not going to report this to passengers.  Interestingly, posters on Regent's board knew that no one on Navigator had the virus.  

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

Since the tests were false, it is possible that crew members did disembark in Barcelona (or perhaps could also be disembarked in Italy).  Only crew members and TA's (like Pcardad) know some of what is going on - Regent is likely not going to report this to passengers.  Interestingly, posters on Regent's board knew that no one on Navigator had the virus.  

There were 2 false positives and this made local news in Europe (Stern, etc.). Rumors where flying and Regent put out an internal memo a few days ago clarifying it because people were concerned.

PS - This information is not privileged...they are sharing the content with people who ask but not the memo itself.

Edited by Pcardad

Re Navigator:  On Thursday I heard from my friend.  They had arrived in Genova.  His contract runs until June 8 and he has been working on the ship since it left LA.  He was originally on the Splendor before crew were moved to Navigator.  At this point, he has no other info and doesn't know whether he will go to his home in Italy or...?

1 hour ago, cerise638 said:

Lovely video from the Voyager Crew on the RSSC Facebook page.  Sorry having difficulties posting a link. It made me a bit tearful and yearning to get cruising again

I just watched it and it is beautiful to see.  It was interesting that everyone on the bridge (including the Captain) wore a mask.  They are setting a great example for others.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cerise638 said:

Lovely video from the Voyager Crew on the RSSC Facebook page.  Sorry having difficulties posting a link. It made me a bit tearful and yearning to get cruising again

Sweet video....sniff.....We do miss cruising so much!

• Like 1

So it seems as of today, June 2nd, the ships are approximately in these places:

Mariner - Oakland, CA

Explorer - off Amelia Island in Florida

Voyager - Livorno, Italy

Navigator - Genoa, Italy

Splendor - west coast of Mexico

Is that more or less accurate?

Splendor has spent most of her time since March going back and forth between California and Mexico.  She is scheduled to do Mediterranean cruises from August until November.  With that part of the world being pretty iffy at the moment, she is likely better staying in North America until more is known about when and where she will resume sailing.  Keeping her “exercised” is necessary

• Haha 1

Thanks, Travel Cat.   I too think it is unlikely that Splendor will get to Europe this year, especially as it is heading away from the Panama Canal.

What a pity, though, that Regent is still offering cruises in July, and expecting us to pay the rest of the price for our cruise in October when they know, and we strongly suspect, that there is little chance of our cruise taking place.  If we don't pay, we lose the deposit of over £5K, and if we do pay it could be 2021 before we see our refund.

Not good customer service, Regent.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, MikeD1000 said:

If we don't pay, we lose the deposit of over £5K

If you intend to cruise in the future and don't mind extending your "interest free loan" to Regent for a while longer you could ask Regent to convert your deposit to a Future Cruise Credit.

This possibility was reported by @Guerncruising on another thread:

On 5/14/2020 at 8:15 PM, Guerncruising said:

Flossie009 we have converted our deposit for 16th July Barcelona to Venice cruise into FCC - rightly or wrongly.

Edited by flossie009

I can confirm that our deposit was converted to FCC although on my account it shows as Shipboard Credits. It has been confirmed by Regent as FCC and the amount. 

My only problem now is, whilst we have had no new cases for 38 days, our borders are effectively closed. No problems on a small holiday island but would much prefer to be cruising. 

Soon, let’s hope.

• Like 1