Explorer Ushuaia to Valparaiso Update

FauxNom

Our happy band of travelers received startling news today: a passenger who was medically evacuated from the ship in Tortel, 2 days ago, has tested positive for Covid 19.  While awaiting permission to go ashore in Castro, we were told to return to our cabins. No news yet on what happens next; we are still at anchor. We really thought the odds were in our favor, as the ship was fresh off the Antarctica season, every passenger was screened for fever at the beginning, and passengers seemed to have been really diligent about hand sanitizer. So it feels really strange to get first hand experience with the cruise ship debacles I’ve been following in the news. (By the way, could someone tell MSNBC they need to run fewer self-promotion commercials? They don’t leave much room for the news!)

Fauxnom

Not good news, so sorry to hear about your current situation. Hope things improve in you and your fellow travelers favor. 

I wonder if those self promotional ads you see on MSNBC are  a result of the cruise lines satellite feed and they have to fill that commercial time that you usually get at home,  is not available out at sea so they fill that time with promotional ads. I remember that used to drive us crazy , but because we refuse to watch Fox News , I don’t know if they have normal ads on Fox News. 

Again  best wishes for a good outcome for all.

So sorry to hear. If I remember right, you were heading to Easter Island, hope that is not a problem docking ?

You probably already know the next, I think two voyages have been removed from their website. Do you know where the ship is going to hang out till April 16th?

• Like 1

Thanks so much, everyone. Fletcher is correct:  no Easter Island for this ship. They actually announced this the same day the ill passenger disembarked in Tortel. We heard that a tour group of 70 people cancelled their planned embarkation in Valparaiso, so that likely played a role in the decision to cancel the onward cruise. There are probably fewer than 10 people on the current cruise who were doing the extension to Easter Island. They were disappointed but that pales in comparison to our quarantine!

We did get lunch delivered and were given the menu to order dinner. So while we went without food for a whole 6 hours (!!), it does look like we will be taken care of. Still at anchor and no news about next steps.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fletcher said:

It seems that the Explorer is stuck at Castro, Chiloe Island.  It should have left at 1730 on the 14 March and it's still there nearly 12 hours later . . . 

Folks are reporting from on board that they have received no information and have no idea what is to happen next.  They truly are in limbo at this time, anchored off the coast.

Yes, we are still sitting at anchor in Castro, with exceedingly scanty information. The captain finally announced yesterday evening that they were getting some help from shoreside to assess the medical situation. I thought this meant they would visit and screen passengers, but that doesn’t seem to be happening. There’s some speculation that they are looking at crew first. Since we didn’t leave overnight, I’m guessing the medical help will continue this morning. 

They are feeding us well, but falling short in the communication department. I would love to know what assessment is being done and what scenarios are being considered. I did find out from the internet that the disembarked passenger was an 85-year-old man from Britain. 

The captain just reported that they had been negotiating with local authorities and we are now being allowed to go out to open water to replenish our clean water supply. He said a few people had been disembarked in Castro. I assume those are either guests or crew, and not just the local authorities who went back ashore.

15 hours ago, FauxNom said:

The captain just reported that they had been negotiating with local authorities and we are now being allowed to go out to open water to replenish our clean water supply. He said a few people had been disembarked in Castro. I assume those are either guests or crew, and not just the local authorities who went back ashore.

Thanks for keeping us updated. Hope things improve soon.

• Like 1

After a long trip out to open ocean to replenish water, we are headed back inside —to a port unknown. We have learned that the folks who departed yesterday were 4 passengers and 1 crew. No updates on their condition.

The most startling news is that the village of Tortel , where the ill patient disembarked, is now under quarantine for 14 days. My Spanish is very limited but that’s what I was able to glean from local press. I am so sorry that this has happened.

I also read that Chile has forbidden cruise ships to dock. If we stay at anchor, we will have to repeat our water gathering trip every two days (if I understood the captain correctly). That’s a long trip that could really get old! On the bright side, maybe the big seas will cut down our food consumption.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Fauxnom

The news article states 5 more pax positive for corona virus.

Are you quarantined to suite?

Oh, yes indeed. We were confined to our suites as soon as the first test came back positive. Boy do I miss fresh air! But food and drink have been plentiful, always left outside the suite after a knock on the door.

• Like 1