Cruise Critic Community
FauxNom

Explorer Ushuaia to Valparaiso Update

Most of the Suites on the Explorer don’t have a Verandah

1 hour ago, Bucephalus53 said:

I have been wondering about this but afraid its a dumb & obvious question...You aren't allowed on the Veranda or you don't have one?

That’s not dumb and obvious! I didn’t want to whine about not having a veranda, but I sure feel some envy for those who do. My understanding is that those with a veranda can use it.

Any updates from the Explorer?  I hope all onboard are managing well in this difficult situation.

1 hour ago, zigtraveller said:

Any updates from the Explorer?  I hope all onboard are managing well in this difficult situation.

According to Chilean officials quoted in a New York Times article today, passengers disembarked yesterday and flew home on chartered flights.

19 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

According to Chilean officials quoted in a New York Times article today, passengers disembarked yesterday and flew home on chartered flights.

Thanks, that’s great news.  Hopefully the crew are being well cared for as well.

Sorry I wasn't able to post details, but we are thrilled to be home. The CDC decided most of us could quarantine at home. Silversea did a heroic job organizing the evacuation. It's not as easy as it looks!

Welcome home; glad to hear that you made it OK. Stay well!

1 hour ago, FauxNom said:

Sorry I wasn't able to post details, but we are thrilled to be home. The CDC decided most of us could quarantine at home. Silversea did a heroic job organizing the evacuation. It's not as easy as it looks!

That’s wonderful. Do you know if all the guests were repatriated.

8 hours ago, FauxNom said:

Very pleased to hear that you are home again.

Dear SS

My dear what a catalogue of problems and disappointments you have all endured, both on the Whisper and the Explorer, and for those maybe not be up to speed, also the Shadow which has spent the last week holed up in Recife, with no date currently, as to their ordeal ending.  Seemingly it is now over for some of you and soon you Mr & Mrs SS will be back in dear old Blighty - probably not as you remember it though!!

Have a safe flight, and as so many Silversea aficionados have said in the last few weeks, hats off to Silversea and their amazing staff and crew.  There are many of us who have had cruises cancelled, and one wonders just how long we will have to wait to assuage our cruising withdrawals.

God bless one and all

Kindest regards

Master Echo

Well-said, Master Echo. And thanks, all, for the kind words.

To answer a couple questions:

Not all the guests came home when we did, as some were hospitalized and some in isolation on the ship. Not sure, but assume they also were hospital-bound. They are in my thoughts for a speedy recovery!

Expedition staff were evacuated with us, but I was told the rest of the crew would be staying on the ship, remaining on salary and taking care of the ship during the hiatus. Hooray for that!