Confirmed COVID - Celebrity Silhouette, Feb 23 - Mar 6 Southern Caribbean

spryder

1 hour ago, prfctmrtini said:

My wife and I were on this cruise as well. We have no symptoms and we feel great (biked 25 miles today) and are not concerned. We will wait for Celebrity to issue some sort of response to the "supposed" effected passenger before we take the advice of "Dr. Wonderman"  

The supposed affected passenger is confirmed by the public health board.  

You really expect Celebrity to be transparent at the point?   Don’t hold your breath for some sort of response.  

1576389510_ScreenShot2020-03-14at9_23_00PM.thumb.png.15be186823c2bf519390d002a4c61a48.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, prfctmrtini said:

My wife and I were on this cruise as well. We have no symptoms and we feel great (biked 25 miles today) and are not concerned. We will wait for Celebrity to issue some sort of response to the "supposed" effected passenger before we take the advice of "Dr. Wonderman"  

🙄

• Like 5

2 hours ago, scubagal44 said:

Annnnd responses like this are exactly why this virus is continuing to spread out of control.  🙄

Exactly! The ignorance is astounding and scary. And people wonder there are so many angry out there at cruise lines and people cruising right now. I don't like to even mention that I love to cruise anymore as I've been shamed several times on other social media sites and I haven't even cruised since last fall.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lizinindy said:

What happened to all the rest of this discussion on this topic? Looks like they’ve all been edited out?

It looks to me like the posts are still here?  But I'm not sure how many there were in total. 

I do know that I posted this to the "Celebrity Silhouette" Facebook Group (8000+ members), and it started a huge discussion amongst people who had been on this exact cruise and had no idea about the situation.... and I was summarily removed and banned from the group as a result.  People are actively limiting the dissemination of information about infected people on cruise ships and its mind-boggling to me. 

• Like 1

It’s about awareness.  When my wife and I had symptoms of a cold we decided not to go into work. That same day woman in Waterloo who was on our cruise tested positive and her husband tested a few days later.  Some people don’t show specific signs of the virus like ourselves.  We self isolated immediately upon hearing about the Summit cases.  We are both fighting something but not showing major signs.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, prfctmrtini said:

Hope you will self isolate or lay low for a few weeks ...esp if someone on your cruise has been ill...before, during or after the cruise.

Even those who feel well and are symptom free can be carriers and endanger the less robust members of a Community it's not just about you at this point!!

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, spryder said:

and I was summarily removed and banned from the group as a result.  People are actively limiting the dissemination of information about infected people on cruise ships and its mind-boggling to me. 

Burying heads in sand won’t stop the spread.  Honestly, I would *want* to know if I’ve been exposed so I could self-isolate and monitor.  It’s not just about “me”, it’s about social responsibility and community.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, hvbaskey said:

I agree with that - but there is still a large % of the planet that are just unaware.   Me?  first thought is COVID-19, but my conversations with people in general result in - ohhhh probably just the flu ...

Anyhow - it is what it is ... hopefully people become more aware of the virus, its impact, and social responsibility.

Not a remote chance that this person did not know.  I am 1000% sure that the cruise ship itself would be constantly reminding passengers about the rules regarding symptoms. A very selfish person who needs to be charged!!!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Well that's just great.   We were also on the Silhouette on that cruise.  I feel like I have a little bit of a cold, but it feels a lot worse now.  I wish I knew if we had any contact with this passenger.  As we were waiting in line to get off with several Canadians and it sure seemed like most of them were coughing.

ipee- I truly hope that the two of you are OK.  Maybe you need to self-isolate and get tested?  Better safe than sorry.  Please let us know how you are doing.

1 minute ago, TeeRick said:

ipee- I truly hope that the two of you are OK.  Maybe you need to self-isolate and get tested?  Better safe than sorry.  Please let us know how you are doing.

Thanks.  We are going to self-isolate at least for the next week.   No testing available now because I don't have the classic symptoms (fever, hacking cough or shortness of breath) and we don't have any serious underlying health issues.  I do feel sorry that I had a dentist appointment last week and we were around my 84 year old MIL.  At this point my MIL is my main concern.  We are cancelling other dentist appointments  later this week.  (I guess the teeth are the first things to go).   Testing has shown 96 - 98% of the people with symptoms that are tested don't have the virus, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.  It's probably just a cold. 

However, I can't help remember the final minutes of the cruise, standing in line waiting to get off with the guy from Canada behind me doing a lot of coughing.  I was just concerned about catching a cold, I had no thoughts of the virus.  He looked older than someone in his 40's so I'm hoping it wasn't him.

Take care 

I think common sense dictates what to do.  Be responsible and assume you have the virus and self isolate for 14 days whether you feel sick or not.  Several people like myself are not exhibiting sever symptoms 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Thanks.  We are going to self-isolate at least for the next week.   No testing available now because I don't have the classic symptoms (fever, hacking cough or shortness of breath) and we don't have any serious underlying health issues.  I do feel sorry that I had a dentist appointment last week and we were around my 84 year old MIL.  At this point my MIL is my main concern.  We are cancelling other dentist appointments  later this week.  (I guess the teeth are the first things to go).   Testing has shown 96 - 98% of the people with symptoms that are tested don't have the virus, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.  It's probably just a cold. 

However, I can't help remember the final minutes of the cruise, standing in line waiting to get off with the guy from Canada behind me doing a lot of coughing.  I was just concerned about catching a cold, I had no thoughts of the virus.  He looked older than someone in his 40's so I'm hoping it wasn't him.

Take care 

My dentist last week had a sheet that required you to state that you had not traveled outside the USA in the last 60 days.  Or they would ask you to reschedule.

4 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

My dentist last week had a sheet that required you to state that you had not traveled outside the USA in the last 60 days.  Or they would ask you to reschedule.

There will likely be more of that kind of policies.  In my case, my dentist knew that I was going on a cruise and we talked about it.  Given everything going on, his policies might also change.  If it were me, I'd defer all routine exams and only do critical work in order to protect myself and other patients.  

13 hours ago, prfctmrtini said:

It is people like you who are spreading this deadly disease. I am totally disgusted by your unpleasant response. 

• Like 4

Just got off the Silhouette after getting on March 6th.    Nothing was said on board and no obvious changes in protocols.... we were able to still serve ourselves, etc.

Asked the cruise director on the gangway this morning and she said the case from last week is "not confirmed but we are aware of the media reports"   Sounds like a response from "corporate" to me.

Now trying to decide if we should self-quarintine.  Unfortunately,  most folks who got off the last cruise and this one probably have no idea about the confirmed case.

Brad

24 minutes ago, ihopfar said:

Just got off the Silhouette after getting on March 6th.    Nothing was said on board and no obvious changes in protocols.... we were able to still serve ourselves, etc.

Asked the cruise director on the gangway this morning and she said the case from last week is "not confirmed but we are aware of the media reports"   Sounds like a response from "corporate" to me.

Now trying to decide if we should self-quarintine.  Unfortunately,  most folks who got off the last cruise and this one probably have no idea about the confirmed case.

Brad

The guest on board the Silhouette was symptomatic during the cruise.  It was confirmed by the public health board.

Be a Barrier and Not a Carrier - would highly recommend self-quarantine. 

covid.thumb.jpg.178a72e826682d53444b797ee9b5479c.jpg

Edited by hvbaskey
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, prfctmrtini said:

I agree with Sheffield’s reply to your post when he said it is people like you that are spreading this deadly disease.

P.E.I.’s first confirmed case of Covid-19 came yesterday for a person returning home on March 7th from a cruise. The ship wasn’t named but with that date I’d bet it was the Silhouette.

P.E.I.’s gov’t has issued a Public Health Advisory asking all residents to self-isolate for 14 days after all international travel, including the U.S. (ALL travellers, not just those exhibiting symptoms).

My DH and I are returning home asap, cutting our usual Florida holiday short by many weeks. Once home, we had planned to self-isolate for 14 days before anyone told us to, simply because we will be in 2 airports and on 2 flights to get there.  It’s the right thing to do at this time.

Cavalier attitudes, like yours, Mr. “prfctmrtini”, will cause the deaths of many before this is all over I’m afraid.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, prfctmrtini said:

These are the people that will be responsible for the death of 8% of the people over 65 in the US. Be proud. 

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

My husband had an appointment with his cardiologist around the middle of February.  He was asked to fill out a questionnaire of his whereabouts in the last month.  They were especially concerned about any recent travel to Europe.  

Hopefully, with Spring Break for both colleges and school kids coming up, in addition to some schools closing and making the vacation longer, the virus spread will lessen.  I noticed a couple of the college websites are telling students to stay away from the campus if they have been on a cruise in the last 14 days.   

1 minute ago, Iamthesea said:

My husband had an appointment with his cardiologist around the middle of February.  He was asked to fill out a questionnaire of his whereabouts in the last month.  They were especially concerned about any recent travel to Europe.  

Hopefully, with Spring Break for both colleges and school kids coming up, in addition to some schools closing and making the vacation longer, the virus spread will lessen.  I noticed a couple of the college websites are telling students to stay away from the campus if they have been on a cruise in the last 14 days.   

All college and university campuses where I live in PA are closed.  Students have been asked to use online courses to complete their studies.  In fact all of our public schools are closed too.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TeeRick said:

All college and university campuses where I live in PA are closed.  Students have been asked to use online courses to complete their studies.  In fact all of our public schools are closed too.

Ours have, as well.  My teacher daughter just informed me that she got the call.  No school for at least two weeks.  They have Spring Break a week from tomorrow. Had already cancelled their travel plans.