Chances of T/A Cancelations

DW and myself are booked on the April 17 Silhouette Crossing. Trump just announced the UK has been added to the Travel Ban. What are the chances Celebrity may now include the T/A with the other Cancellations that were announced yesterday.

What do you think?

If the situation in Europe stays the same what ports are or will be open? Where would they cruise? With multiple closures?

If the ports open and thing greatly improve do you think X will sail?

Anything today is pure speculation. My Magic 8 Ball said to ask again later.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TourDeCruise said:

We are booked on the April 24th Reflection British Isles and Ireland TA and cruise that follows. We are not optimistic. We are also hoping others will weigh in on this.

It's all speculation at this point IMO. 

It's hard for me to imagine Europe (in general) being ready to open ports/accept ships by late April/early May. I actually think Canada was smart to implement their ban through July 1. But it's a catch 22 all the way around for each/every country. 

12 minutes ago, cruiserchuck said:

100 percent they will not sail with passengers as currently scheduled.

I AGREE. At this point I will wait for X to cancel my TA to Southampton. Airline already refunded.

My opinion as stated elsewhere is X needs 2 weeks to get the current cancellations sorted. Also the hundreds of cancellations that will come.  About April 1st they will need to deal with the reality of whatever the situation then starting with Alaska and then the TAs. They have then another week to deal with Europe for May at first.

Edited by az_tchr
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, az_tchr said:

I AGREE. At this point I will wait for X to cancel my TA to Southampton. Airline already refunded.

My opinion as stated elsewhere is X needs 2 weeks to get the current cancellations sorted. Also the hundreds of cancellations that will come.  About April 1st they will need to deal with the reality of whatever the situation then starting with Alaska and then the TAs. They have then another week to deal with Europe for May at first.

4 hours ago, TourDeCruise said:

We are booked on the April 24th Reflection British Isles and Ireland TA and cruise that follows. We are not optimistic. We are also hoping others will weigh in on this.

I think it's very unlikely it will go ahead.

We are in the UK and they are saying the peak of the virus will be mid May / early June.  

I have just cancelled our Ireland/Iceland cruise from Southampton for end of May.

Agree with previous post about the UK. Not the time to arrive given the announcements of the peak.

Anyone coming to Europe in April/May (and beyond) might find everywhere locked down and you will be floating around the Mediterranean until someone takes Celebrity's dollar to allow you to disembark and fly home.

But then again it might magically disappear. Depends on who you believe!

Edited by idh2019
update

50 minutes ago, Cruzinram said:

Did you have air arranged by Celebrity? And if so why did they cancel before going public with T/A cancellations. ? Or did you decide just go ahead and cancel.

Booked my own air.

Our April 19th X TA to Rome has not been cancelled but I am quite certain that there is no way that we will port in Rome (Civi) or possibly anywhere in europe in April. X's responses to our concerns are frustrating to say the least.  I wish X would simply cancel our TA and put us out of our misery!

Edited by dogs4fun

Nearly all the April TAs are repositioning cruises which get the ships to Europe for the summer season.  But there can be no TAs or summer cruises on a continent where all the ports are closed to cruise ships.  If you simply look at the news, the infection and death rates in Europe continue to increase.  Even if these rates level off in the next few weeks it is very doubtful that you will see any European port opening to cruise ships.  

One could be cynical about the cruise lines who have yet to cancel late April TAs, and suspect that they would prefer passengers to make the cancellation decision.  When the cruise lines cancel they are in a very weak bargaining position on refunds and must quickly grant total refunds if so desired by passengers.  The lines would prefer to get folks to accept FCCs in lieu of cash refunds.  My problem with FCCs is that some expect cruise lines to increase the cost of many future cruises because they know that there are going to be a lot of folks with big credits which need to be used within a specific time frame.

Hank