Aeroflot Airlines.

FredT

So...   Trying to think of SOMETHING other than the virus, my mind keeps coming back to a  recent (last week) flight we took to get home from a cruise on Aeroflot.  Like many (Americans at least) I was VERY hesitant to book the Russian national airline, for a bunch of reasons.  But then I looked at them for a flight from Dubai, through Moscow to New York.   One THIRD the price of anyone else's cheapest fare. 

OK... so what kind of aircraft are they flying?   Brand new 737 to Moscow, and a relatively new 777-300 from Moscow to Kennedy.   

OK...   What about space?  Turns out that their "premium economy" was STILL less than anyone else's economy.  (39" seat pitch and 21" wide seats vs 30" seat pitch and 17" wide seats, and brother that DOES make a difference!)  So, even with a 8 hour layover in Moscow, we went for it.  

All I can say is wow.....   While the first leg to Moscow was pretty standard tourist in a 737, the plane was spotless, the flight service was impeccable, and the food was excellent.  (And FAR superior to any US carrier in recent years.)   After a Looooong layover in Moscow, (Which to be honest was not bad, the terminal had dozens of restaurants open all night, including TGIF's and Burger King for those "unadventurous" Americans.)  we boarded the plane to NYC.    again, wow.   Aeroflot's idea of "premium economy"  is basically what "first class" was 30 years ago.  Large comfortable seats, plenty of legroom,  hot steamed towels given to each passenger FIVE times over the 10 hours (by white gloved, VERY attentive flight attendants) and two complete meals with a choice of 2 mains, a salad, an app, and a dessert. (Oh yeah, and hot rolls served separately).    Unlike the last couple US carriers I have flown internationally, the flight service crew also came around every 45 minutes offering juices, soda or water.   And yes, the seatback screens had all of the newest Hollywood movies, which we enjoyed with complementary earphones, slippers for our feet, toothbrush and toothpaste. (And your own blanket and sleep mask.) 

I guess what I am trying to say here is that for the money ( less than $700.00 per person for the premium economy, vs $1,800 on American/Air France or Emerites.   They are one hell of an alternative as long as you dont mind the one stop in Moscow.   (And by the way EVERYONE we interacted with, from airline personnel, to restaurant workers, to government types in the airport spoke perfect English.)   

I know that going forward, they are an alternative I will certainly entertain for those long, international trips to our cruises!

Edited by FredT
spelling
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, FredT said:

So...   Trying to think of SOMETHING other than the virus, my mind keeps coming back to a  recent (last week) flight we took to get home from a cruise on Aeroflot.  Like many (Americans at least) I was VERY hesitant to book the Russian national airline, for a bunch of reasons.  But then I looked at them for a flight from Dubai, through Moscow to New York.   One THIRD the price of anyone else's cheapest fare. 

OK... so what kind of aircraft are they flying?   Brand new 737 to Moscow, and a relatively new 777-300 from Moscow to Kennedy.   

OK...   What about space?  Turns out that their "premium economy" was STILL less than anyone else's economy.  (39" seat pitch and 21" wide seats vs 30" seat pitch and 17" wide seats, and brother that DOES make a difference!)  So, even with a 8 hour layover in Moscow, we went for it.  

All I can say is wow.....   While the first leg to Moscow was pretty standard tourist in a 737, the plane was spotless, the flight service was impeccable, and the food was excellent.  (And FAR superior to any US carrier in recent years.)   After a Looooong layover in Moscow, (Which to be honest was not bad, the terminal had dozens of restaurants open all night, including TGIF's and Burger King for those "unadventurous" Americans.)  we boarded the plane to NYC.    again, wow.   Aeroflot's idea of "premium economy"  is basically what "first class" was 30 years ago.  Large comfortable seats, plenty of legroom,  hot steamed towels given to each passenger FIVE times over the 10 hours (by white gloved, VERY attentive flight attendants) and two complete meals with a choice of 2 mains, a salad, an app, and a dessert. (Oh yeah, and hot rolls served separately).    Unlike the last couple US carriers I have flown internationally, the flight service crew also came around every 45 minutes offering juices, soda or water.   And yes, the seatback screens had all of the newest Hollywood movies, which we enjoyed with complementary earphones, slippers for our feet, toothbrush and toothpaste. (And your own blanket and sleep mask.) 

I guess what I am trying to say here is that for the money ( less than $700.00 per person for the premium economy, vs $1,800 on American/Air France or Emerites.   They are one hell of an alternative as long as you dont mind the one stop in Moscow.   (And by the way EVERYONE we interacted with, from airline personnel, to restaurant workers, to government types in the airport spoke perfect English.)   

I know that going forward, they are an alternative I will certainly entertain for those long, international trips to our cruises!

👍 I am so happy to read your post -  wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your flights & found them a good value.

To many, if not most, westerners, Aeroflot still retains its cold war reputation from 40 years ago. I have flown Aeroflot from Russia to the USA several times and have also flown Rossiya a number of times (from St. Petersburg to Tel Aviv & domestically within Russia). My experiences on both carriers have been excellent (Rossiya is owned by Aeroflot) and, IMHO, superior to most carriers serving USA to europe routes.

Regarding the 8 hour layover in Moscow, when I fly home from Saint Petersburg on Lufthansa, I always have a 6 hour layover in Frankfurt - IMHO, if I was flying your route, an extra 2 hours in Moscow would be an excellent exchange for a $1100 per person savings. 😎