Age & Doctors Release to Cruise

cruzsnooze

This smacks of age discrimination to me. What about screening young folks who may not be symptomatic but are carriers. What about people with underlying health conditions like diabetics or cancer patients?  What about youngsters with Asthma?

Norwegian Cruise Line announced today that effective immediately all guests who are 70 years of age and older must provide a Certificate of Medical Fitness to Travel form prior to embarkation.

This easy-to-complete form must be signed by a licensed medical professional and be dated no more than seven days prior to the date of embarkation or seven days prior to the start of a guest’s travels if the guest is traveling for more than seven days before a voyage, according to a statement. 

Those who do not present the form will be denied boarding and will be issued a future cruise certificate for the value of their cruise.

"The cruise industry has been in active discussions with the White House and federal agencies on preventative measures such as this. We are proactively notifying guests of this requirement in order to ensure they are prepared given the rapid developments related to COVID-19. This update to our health and safety policies is being implemented immediately across our ships that embark or disembark in a U.S. port. While we apologize for any inconvenience, we are taking significant comprehensive preventative measures to maintain the safety and well-being of our guests and crew. We greatly appreciate your attention to this very important matter," the company said in a statement sent to travel agents.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Renmar said:

The title didn't reflect this topic so I didn't open it. I thought it would be about if you would stop cruising due to Covid 19 not regarding the age discrimination.  I wonder if AARP would have an interest in this proposal from the cruise lines.

Edited by cruzsnooze
  • Like 1

It's not discrimination, as they will are not banning everyone over 70, they are only limiting their risks by allowing healthy people on board, and they want a physician's approval that they are healthy enough for a sea voyage, far away from hospitals, and acute care.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

It's not discrimination, as they will are not banning everyone over 70, they are only limiting their risks by allowing healthy people on board, and they want a physician's approval that they are healthy enough for a sea voyage, far away from hospitals, and acute care.

What about kids with Asthma or people who are  diabetics or people with cancer? It's targeting a specific group that doesn't feel right to me. FYI I am under 70 so I'm not defending myself.  There are many underlying health conditions far worse then being a 70 year old.

• Like 1

I had read that NCL now requires guests over 70 to have a doctor's letter, but the only mention I have heard about it applying to Princess is on this forum. Does this apply to Princess cruises? If so, can someone please supply a link to the announcement.

2 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

This smacks of age discrimination to me. 

I agree, it seems as though the virus is discriminating against us older folks.

confirmed cases
DEATH RATE
all cases
80+ years old
21.9%
14.8%
70-79 years old

8.0%
60-69 years old

3.6%
50-59 years old

1.3%
40-49 years old

0.4%
30-39 years old

0.2%
20-29 years old

0.2%
10-19 years old

0.2%
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I've seen far too many overweight,  physically challenge to walk without stopping, no too mention people well under 70 who have significant health problems that require modifications at home and on the ship. Do they need to complete a medical form letter from their MD? No! SO if 69 you're ok but once you hit 70, you are required to submit a letter.  Annoying IMO, as I just returned form the gym did my 4 miles, and spent another half hour in the weight room. 

When we used to take my Mom on cruises throughout the world, we always had a letter from her PCP stating that at this time she was medically stable and able to travel. It was a suggestion of our TA as this could help if we need to access travel insurance and there could possibly be any question about her health prior to and during a cruise. 

Far too many variables in all this and I'm sure risk management is behind the letter requirement to absolve cruise lines of potential litigation. So sad...

Well, if all goes as planned, we are flying to LHR in a few weeks, not a cruise but a wedding.  Taking every day as it comes.

Darcy...and the other half, both over 70

2 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

This smacks of age discrimination to me. What about screening young folks who may not be symptomatic but are carriers. What about people with underlying health conditions like diabetics or cancer patients?  What about youngsters with Asthma?

Norwegian Cruise Line announced today that effective immediately all guests who are 70 years of age and older must provide a Certificate of Medical Fitness to Travel form prior to embarkation.

This easy-to-complete form must be signed by a licensed medical professional and be dated no more than seven days prior to the date of embarkation or seven days prior to the start of a guest’s travels if the guest is traveling for more than seven days before a voyage, according to a statement. 

Those who do not present the form will be denied boarding and will be issued a future cruise certificate for the value of their cruise.

"The cruise industry has been in active discussions with the White House and federal agencies on preventative measures such as this. We are proactively notifying guests of this requirement in order to ensure they are prepared given the rapid developments related to COVID-19. This update to our health and safety policies is being implemented immediately across our ships that embark or disembark in a U.S. port. While we apologize for any inconvenience, we are taking significant comprehensive preventative measures to maintain the safety and well-being of our guests and crew. We greatly appreciate your attention to this very important matter," the company said in a statement sent to travel agents.

They do the same thing with pregnant women and newborns. You are not being discriminated against, you’re being protected from dying in the middle of the ocean or in a foreign port.

• Like 4

It's not discrimination.  It's common sense actions based on the current global situation.  Having to get a form filled out by a medical professional is a minor inconvenience.  At one point or another there is a good chance many people will be inconvenienced.   Sort of like the folks who showed up for their sailing only to find out it wasn't sailing.  They were all ages.

Edited by ColeThornton
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

What about kids with Asthma or people who are  diabetics or people with cancer? It's targeting a specific group that doesn't feel right to me. FYI I am under 70 so I'm not defending myself.  There are many underlying health conditions far worse then being a 70 year old.

They are simply trying to reduce their risk. No ifs ands or buts. (without a doctor's ok)

3 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

It's not discrimination.  It's common sense actions based on the current global situation.  Having to get a form filled out by a medical professional is a minor convenience.  At one point or another there is a good chance many people will be inconvenienced.   Sort of like the folks who showed up for their sailing only to find out it wasn't sailing.  They were all ages.

Would you be opposed to having everyone do it?  

Now, my doctor is risk adverse and hates to sign any release since it exposes him and his practice to liability in the event that I drop dead on an activity. In this case, would the cruise line sue my doctor if I had COVID-19 and carry it on the ship. 

29 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Would you be opposed to having everyone do it?  

Now, my doctor is risk adverse and hates to sign any release since it exposes him and his practice to liability in the event that I drop dead on an activity. In this case, would the cruise line sue my doctor if I had COVID-19 and carry it on the ship. 

No, absolutely not.

While this is clearly an impact on your business you need to step back and respond as a consumer and not a service provider.

Edited by ziggyuk
typo

Maybe we're looking at this from the wrong angle.  When they met with the administration to pitch this idea, the government officials were reportedly not on board. They didn't want the cruise lines letting anyone on over 70 it seems.

The plan pitched by the cruise industry also had ideas for taking care of sick people and not letting anyone who's ill on the ship. 

It's the government who wanted to completely discriminate against anyone over 70.  The cruise lines talked them down to a doctors note. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/coronavirus-pandemic-tests-clout-of-cruise-industry-and-its-long-standing-ties-to-trump/2020/03/12/3f79a1ba-63aa-11ea-912d-d98032ec8e25_story.html

So we need to see the doctor within the seven day window prior to our sail date and before the 48 hr cancel deadline so we can get either a refund or FCC if the Doctor won't sign off.  Does that sound about right?  If one is able to cancel and all goes well, good enough, but what If there is a hitch and NCL doesn't allow the Refund or the FCC. Say you throw in a cruise insurance option, hopefully it would apply.  Any thoughts? 

13 hours ago, NLH Arizona said:

I agree, it seems as though the virus is discriminating against us older folks.

confirmed cases
DEATH RATE
all cases
80+ years old
21.9%
14.8%
70-79 years old

8.0%
60-69 years old

3.6%
50-59 years old

1.3%
40-49 years old

0.4%
30-39 years old

0.2%
20-29 years old

0.2%
10-19 years old

0.2%

Right on. I saw the same statistics and it seems that are not so much protecting others from getting the virus but helping to make sure that the most vulnerable (those over 70) are protected. I am with NCL on this. By the way I am 72 and have a cruise booked. I have no problem going to my family physician and getting the certificate. Just chill and do be so easily offended.

I agree that it is age discrimination.  Are the cruise lines concerned that people over 70 will die?  Or they concerned that people over 70 will spread the virus?  I believe they are concerned about money.  

IMHO They should be concerned about people spreading the virus at this point.  Along with that, let's test everyone!  Especially the children who are "carriers".  LOL 

1 hour ago, SouthLyonCruiser said:

Right on. I saw the same statistics and it seems that are not so much protecting others from getting the virus but helping to make sure that the most vulnerable (those over 70) are protected. I am with NCL on this. By the way I am 72 and have a cruise booked. I have no problem going to my family physician and getting the certificate. Just chill and do be so easily offended.

what happens if he or she will not sign the certificate? don't get mad, just chill.

1 hour ago, bbtondo said:

I agree that it is age discrimination.  Are the cruise lines concerned that people over 70 will die?  Or they concerned that people over 70 will spread the virus?  I believe they are concerned about money.  

The 70 year old is no more likely to catch/have/spread the virus than a 25 year old. In fact the 25 year old is probably worse since they have poorer hygiene. 

The consequence of getting sick is statistically far worse. Partly because of age and mostly because is older folks have other medical conditions that make recovery more difficult. 

So yes, it is all about liability of having acutely sock people on ships. And not so much about making ships safer. I, for one, resent being singled out because of age. If you’re going down the path of a doctor’s note, then manor everyone get one. That will last about a week. 

• Like 1

And then there is that silly medical form one signs (initials) at registration boarding.

Who is going to honestly fill out that darn thing denying boarding the ship right in front of you

that you are packed and waited months to enjoy your vacation.

One more reason to be dishonest with forfeiting fares paid and insufficient cruise credits and

insurance ambiguities screwing up that vacation of a (LIMITED) lifetime ! 

If you are old you have a very LIMITED time to take travels even though it is thought that you have all the time in the world !

Que sera sera - the future is not ours to see - the cruise you have booked now maybe your last.

Mess with us seniors and you have another thing coming - we are not going to be walking virus bombs

fouling others travels but needing a note from the doctor to travel - that crap should have gone the way of dodo bird

when you needed a note from your parents to miss school because you were sick or other reason.

You don't need a note to fly on the airlines

You don't need a note to attend an event (even though they are now cancelled or postponed)

You don't need a note to go shopping

You don't need a note to drive a vehicle (although you do need a drivers license)

I and DW are over 70. I have yet to see any official word from NCL regarding said letter. Out TA also has not notified us of this requirement. Unless someone can point me to an actual definitive link to an official NCL statement we will continue to consider this, as our dear Commander in Chief might say, Fake News.