Age & Doctors Release to Cruise

cruzsnooze

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

The 70 year old is no more likely to catch/have/spread the virus than a 25 year old. In fact the 25 year old is probably worse since they have poorer hygiene. 

The consequence of getting sick is statistically far worse. Partly because of age and mostly because is older folks have other medical conditions that make recovery more difficult. 

So yes, it is all about liability of having acutely sock people on ships. And not so much about making ships safer. I, for one, resent being singled out because of age. If you’re going down the path of a doctor’s note, then manor everyone get one. That will last about a week. 

No. you're absolutely wrong. As we age our immune systems do not work as well so all other things being equal a 70 year old does have a greater probability of catching the virus than a 25 year old. Please read this from the authoritative and respected government source, MedlinePlus:

https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/004008.htm

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Hrhbob said:

I and DW are over 70. I have yet to see any official word from NCL regarding said letter. Out TA also has not notified us of this requirement. Unless someone can point me to an actual definitive link to an official NCL statement we will continue to consider this, as our dear Commander in Chief might say, Fake News.

No NCL cruises are operating until at least April 12, so at present it's moot. The form did exist for a short period of time just before the shutdown and copies of it were published on other threads on Cruise Critic .

It's anyone's guess what may be required when cruises resume. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, njhorseman said:

No. you're absolutely wrong. As we age our immune systems become does not work as well so all other things being equal a 70 year old does have a greater probability of catching the virus than a 25 year old. Please read this from the authoritative and respected government source, MedlinePlus:

https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/004008.htm

Don't you know everyone on CC is an expert!

I'm 70 (cancer survivior); DH is 85 (high blood pressure); I have to make appts to see my physicians months in advance...they're busy. I can't say "I need a letter to cruise" is an emergency..lol.

I, for one, am happy about these restrictions.  I don't need some millennial to sneeze, touch the button on the elevator, and next his bugs fly to me.  I'm glad the govt and/or cruiselines are making the decision easy for me.

I plan on living many more years; I watch what I eat; I exercise; I live a healthy life style.  Cruising during a pandemeic is absolutely an unnecessary risk.

• Like 5

On 3/14/2020 at 5:21 PM, cruzsnooze said:

This smacks of age discrimination to me. What about screening young folks who may not be symptomatic but are carriers. What about people with underlying health conditions like diabetics or cancer patients?  What about youngsters with Asthma?

I believe that carnival has made the policy for people over 70 and anyone with serious chronic medical conditions. The problem is that if I am 25 with asthma, there's no way for carnival to know I need a doctors note unless I tell them. I supposed they can ask but I can lie easily. They know if you are over 70 because they have your DOB. I think they are simply addressing the risks that they can't help but to know about. 

• Like 1

Latest - NY Times - 2 ER doctors, frontline war against COVID-19, from NJ and WA are in critical conditions and they should've been well protected with full sets of PPE.   

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/two-emergency-room-doctors-are-in-critical-condition-with-coronavirus/ar-BB11ecaw

NY, NJ and CT governors are implementing sets of coordinated tri-state-wide policies to address this (pending) pandemic crisis with community infections - it is not fake news for anyone to take lightly.  + 

CDC issued, yesterday, its latest guidance/advisory to health care providers - for all US nationals (regardless of age/health, but especially "older" adults without the lowest age cohort spelled out) ... good luck getting your PCP/doctor's statement or notes, etc. to clear you to cruise worldwide, not just in US or nearby waters, including river cruises.  I've already posted this elsewhere but will put this here.   

It is a free country, please feel free to ignore it and do as you wish.  I should further note - as a snapshot of NY's data, for those infected with this virus and must be hospitalized, 60% were/are in ICU and 44% are on ventilators - there are just 3,000 ICU capacities across the state of NY, typically at 80 to 90% occupancy as they are super costly to run & maintain ... cancellation & postponing elective surgeries & procedures can only free up a limited # of ICU beds for an expected spike/surge in COVID-19 cases.  

BTW, be sure you have a health care proxy and next-of-kin information updated, including end of life/DNR instructions clearly written out, signed & on file, in the unlikely event ...  There isn't time for these acutely stricken patients to transition into hospice or end of life, comfort care.  These are the graphics & not pretty forecast that the small # of high risk patients (and their families/loved & closed ones) will be faced with - especially if we do not adjust, realign and change our mindset & thinking.  

Stay healthy, live happy, and frequent hand wash with soap. There is always another cruise that one can sail on later.  Let's stay safe. 

Screenshot_20200316-005815_Gmail.thumb.p

Screenshot_20200315-221003_Gmail.png

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

On 3/14/2020 at 11:33 PM, CineGraphic said:

It's not discrimination, as they will are not banning everyone over 70, they are only limiting their risks by allowing healthy people on board, and they want a physician's approval that they are healthy enough for a sea voyage, far away from hospitals, and acute care.

A note that can be forged using microsoft word, the letterhead from the doctors website and a  pen? for what that statement is worth.

Edited by ace2542
  • Like 1

just make a decision if your cruise is worth the trouble of getting a doctors note with everything else. We are canceling our trip.  Cruising for us is not a priority and we definitely don't want the aggravation whether people will be sick on board or not, whether we will be quarantined, whether the ship will be allowed on a port etc etc etc. We can wait for now. Is it ageism? who knows. The truth is the virus affects the older crowd more, specially with compromise immune systems, my companion is over 70 years old and we did not want to take the chance.  Good luck

• Like 3

Experience from the Kirkland nursing home has seen people going from being asymptomatic to gravely ill within an hour. The level of medical care on a ship isn't up to any sort of real supportive measures, so if you get really sick on a ship you have a good chance of dying. I don't think any cruise line wants a film crew on the dock when body bags are being offloaded, and wailing relatives are being led away to quarantine in hazmat suits.

• Like 1

Late to this discussion but perhaps my ha’penny worth is in time. We have a TA booked in December ex BCN to NYC.  We never travel without comprehensive worldwide insurance that includes cruise travel.  Now I can understand the company wanting to exclude sick passengers and have no problem with required (but meaningless) self declaration or remote temperature checks at checkin, but if an insurance company has granted cover then the cruise line is absolved from liability for medical costs.  With regard to cross infection I could be checked by a ten man expert medical committee and declared as fit as a flea 7 days before sailing and pick up any number of ghastly diseases in the intervening days.  The compulsory possession of insurance is surely more important.

On 3/15/2020 at 3:03 PM, MsTabbyKats said:

Don't you know everyone on CC is an expert!

I'm 70 (cancer survivior); DH is 85 (high blood pressure); I have to make appts to see my physicians months in advance...they're busy. I can't say "I need a letter to cruise" is an emergency..lol.

I, for one, am happy about these restrictions.  I don't need some millennial to sneeze, touch the button on the elevator, and next his bugs fly to me.  I'm glad the govt and/or cruiselines are making the decision easy for me.

I plan on living many more years; I watch what I eat; I exercise; I live a healthy life style.  Cruising during a pandemeic is absolutely an unnecessary risk.

hear hear. I cringe when i hear people say, i will do what i want, i am young, etc etc without thinking of anyone else..