11 Night Ultimate Caribbean Cruise Photo Review - Celebrity Reflection

Marvy Mare

15 hours ago, Marvy Mare said:

Norris

How do you quote a post without copying everything? Still figuring this out.

Maris

If you highlight a part of a post a little box will pop up with "Quote Selection", like in this example.  You can quote parts of multiple posts in the same reply.

image.png.a298977e9eca4ab09c5415b1f290c718.png

• Like 1

Just back from our isolated dog walk. We rarely see anyone at the park where we walk our dogs. It's very icy for walking. We have to wear spikes on our boots. We did see one other person and dog this morning at the appropriate distance of a few hundred metres 😁. When we got back to our car, we found that the other person had parked right in front of us, bumpers almost touching. Must be missing close proximity to people. There were no other cars parked there. Back to my story.

March 3 - DAY 2 - At Sea

We followed almost  the same routine every morning. We are early risers and I have trouble sleeping. Though I must say, the rocking of the ship, helped me sleep like a baby. Didn't stop me from getting up early. 'Every day is a gift!' (Thanks Lorie). I was awake at 4:30. I read for a little while but was out of bed by 5. Before I went to pick up our first coffees, I stepped out on our deck. Hotish, but not that tropical heat yet.

Then I headed down to Guest Relations. Celebrity Today told me that they were open 24 hours a day. Surprised to find that there was no one at the desk. There was a phone there and a number to call to talk to someone, but I didn't figure overpaying for our dinner was an emergency, so I headed back up to Deck 14 to get two coffees. There were usually at least 2 or 3 guests up there at that time. One early morning I met staff heading back to bed after their night shift. They were in uniform so supervisors? There were always a few employees working in the Oceanview at that time of the morning, keeping things ultra clean and the coffee filled. 

The early breakfast ( muffins, croissants, fruit, etc.) starts at 6am, so only beverages were available. Since Ken & I like sweets in the morning, our last trip to the buffet in the evening was to see the cookie/ice cream girl and we were served a couple of cookies each to enjoy with our morning coffee. 

I make two coffee runs early in the morning. Ken is one fortunate guy! It was very windy out, so we had our coffee in the room.

Then it was up to Deck 15 for my morning walk. My favourite part of the day, really. When I first get there, there were usually only a handful or less other people walking or running. There was an older gentleman, older than me anyway who I saw most mornings. He ran without any walk breaks, for at least an hour. I know this because, I'd do my walk and then head back to get my camera, if it looked like a promising sunrise. He would still be running when I returned. It is pretty cool to be up there on a ship full of people with only a few others. This first morning, it was so windy that I had to struggle up one side of the deck and almost run without any effort down the other side. So a struggle on starboard? and running on port? if we were heading into the wind. Confusing.

It was our first morning and though it didn't look as if we were going to get a photogenic sunrise, I headed down to get my camera anyway after about 1/2 hour. 

_DSC4339

_DSC4342

_DSC4343

Does anyone know why they put the nets in the pools at night?

_DSC4351

Deck 16 - Solstice Deck -It's my understanding that when the ships are Edgified the Solstice Deck will become strictly a retreat for the Suite guests. May be my last time up there.

_DSC4356

Edited by Marvy Mare
corrections
  • Like 3

_DSC4343

Does anyone know why they put the nets in the pools at night?

Maris, it's probably to stop people using the pool outside of Pool Hours. Ditto the hot tubs.

Norris

• Like 1

March 3 - DAY 2 - At Sea

The sunrise was not anything to write home about, but our first at sea, so I have to share.

_DSC4358

I guess that's all I got. It gets better later in the trip. The morning sun is rising like a....... If you know the rest of the words, you may be dating yourself. I was 13. 

_DSC4359

Looking at these photos, I'm thinking that maybe I missed another rainfall. I know they wash the decks each morning, but this looks like a little more than that.

_DSC4361

A map by every elevator. Even I couldn't get lost very often. But if I'm supposed to go right I'll invariably go left and aft always leads me fore. 

_DSC4365

_DSC4363

Our room. I never did get a photo when it was perfect. Our room steward, Michael did a great job. We weren't too messy anyway. Well, Ken wasn't. He wouldn't like these pics with the bed not made. 

_DSC4366

From our deck looking forward.

_DSC4368

My toes. You can kind of see me in the reflection. I hate my photo being taken. This is the best you will get. Lol

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, h20cruzer said:

Thanks so much for your review and pics. It's just what I needed. My cruise is cancelled as well as many others. 

Reflection looks good. 

Norma

Hi Norma

Just what I need too, to keep me busy. When was your cruise supposed to be. We got out just under the wire.

Maris

4 minutes ago, CruiserFromMaine said:

We’re booked on the Reflection in December—hope we make it!

im enjoying your trip report. Thanks for doing it! 

I hope you make it too. Things have got to be better by then. Or not. So stressful!

Maris

I had chores to do. Ken needed help taking sheets of drywall into the basement. His COVID 19 project. Basement refinishing. Fortunately we had all the materials delivered before we went away. I don't even know if hardware stores are open at this time. I also took our younger dog (Stella) for a walk. Since we are home all day every day, she has become very demanding. In, out, in, out. After I take her for a long walk she's happy for awhile. I saw more people today. Mostly driving, but a few walking. Getting out before the torrential rain predicted for tomorrow.

March 3 - DAY 2 - At Sea (cont)

Before we went for breakfast I made a call to Guest Relations and told them my story of the cost of dinner at the Tuscan Grill. They put me through to Martin. Unfortunately, one piece of paper I didn't bring home was the pictures and list of some of the staff. Not sure what Martin's job was, but he was the man to help me. I left a message. He was probably a busy man.

We had our usual breakfast at the Oceanview Cafe. Ken enjoys the corned beef hash and a few other things. There is a great variety there for breakfast, though I must say sausages and blood pudding (part of the English breakfast) didn't look too good to me. My Scottish grandma believed in porridge every morning. Telling me that it would stick to my ribs didn't make it any more palatable. Anyway, my breakfast was the same most mornings - an egg white omelet with tomatoes, spinach, ham & feta cheese. Mmmm. Alway good. I usually added some crispy bacon, pineapple and oranges. It took me about 10 nights of cruising to realize I should use my Starbuck's name. People just can't seem to get Maris right. Not exactly a common name. Just check on Facebook. I think there is only one of me. Anyway, my Starbuck's name is Mary and everyone got it right. We ate out on the back patio every morning. As I've mentioned before, the weather was exceptional. 

After breakfast we headed to the Sky Observation Lounge for the Cruise Critic meeting. At these meetings you really only talk to the people right next to you, but I wanted to meet Judi and thank Bev again for making the name tags. Judi made lists of the people on our Roll Call and arranged for our dinner at Passions on the Beach. There were 6 couples booked to go. She wanted to make sure that we were all going. She had to put a deposit on a table for 12. A very popular spot & highly recommended. 

_DSC4371

This gentleman introduced all the Officers on staff. I think his title was Activity Director but his name escapes me. He was very enthusiastic.

After our meeting we found a seat on Deck 15. We like looking over the pool people watching and there is some shade there as well. We happened to sit by Lorie and Angus (from Peterborough) again. It became a habit. Haven't seen them for almost a week now. We will have to get together again when we are able to get out. Social distancing will be much easier when we can get outside  in the spring. I'm getting to hate that expression, but I'll never forget it. 

I went back to our room to get changed and grab books, water & sunscreen. Martin had called me back. So I returned his call. I told him my story. He said, that he couldn't see anyone offering us 50% off even for as important an event as my birthday 😁, but he would check into it. He would call back. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Marvy Mare said:

_DSC4371

This gentleman introduced all the Officers on staff. I think his title was Activity Director but his name escapes me. He was very enthusiastic.

Hi Maris-

We kept pretty much to ourselves on this trip, but made a few activities. Our idea of a perfect cruise is kicking back and watching the water with a good book. I believe that the picture is of Rich, the cruise director. 

Crystal

• Like 1

On 3/18/2020 at 5:27 PM, Marvy Mare said:

Thanks Diane

Next February things should be back to normal. Have you been on the Reflection before? It is beautiful.

Maris

We've cruised Silhouette three times and she's been our favorite.  Reflection is a sister ship so know we will enjoy her also.

• Like 1

I tried to load some photos up to Flickr overnight. I guess my Lightroom update cut in and things were very confusing this morning. Good thing I'm not longer trying to make any money from this hobby. I lost a few pictures but I know they will turn up. 😊

March 3 - Day 2 - At Sea (cont.)

We spent much of the day up on Deck 15, reading, people watching and talking to people. This was our friendliest cruise ever. Not that I've been on many, but still, people were talking. I think it was that cloud hanging over us that was getting bigger. For cruising I bought a package from my Mobile provider. When we were in port, I had cell service. So other than listening to others I was blissfully unaware of the evolving situation. As I have probably mentioned before, Ken is a worrier. I'm like "What me worry" (Alfred E Newman - a long time ago). I'm worried now, but aren't we all. Anyway, I would say to people 'Don't tell Ken". That didn't always work. Something else I discovered on this voyage was a universal language. When your partner is saying something you'd rather they didn't, you kick them under the table. Gently of course. It's difficult to do when standing and to a stranger. They might get the wrong idea, or charge you with assault. So Ken was getting the information despite me.

We had a quick lunch outside the Oceanview and then back by the pool. A lot of people were getting very burnt. We did get some sun but by the time we get back in society, no one will be able to tell that we ever left. Probably a good thing.

Around 3 or so  in the afternoon a snack was delivered to the room. We were back before then to enjoy a quiet time on our deck with a snack and a glass of wine. I did finally reconnect with Martin at that time. He said that he had been in touch with the man who sold us our dinners and that he couldn't possibly have offered us 50% off The Tuscan Grill. I guess we misheard. I'm not an arguer (Ken would probably disagree) so it was him against me. I couldn't storm off the ship. They would credit back the $90 and then charge us 30% off for the Tuscan. Last time I buy a dinner package on the ship.

It had been a wonderful and exhausting few days and a nap was in order. I set my phone alarm for 5. It was 4:30. A half hour nap is perfect. Woke up with a start at 6:30. I'd set the alarm for 5am. Dinner was scheduled for 7:15 and it was Evening Chic (Dress up). I'm not really a dresserupper and I can't see without my glasses, so I don't wear much makeup. We managed to get ready and haul ourselves out the door for our first dinner in the Opus Dining Room

Ken gave our room number to the nice young woman on reception. Those people do an amazing job. On our last cruise the receptionist was called home on an emergency. It was chaos after she left. I think we had one of those annoying beepers every night. Not at all on this trip. We like to sit in the back right section. It's quiet. I hissed to Ken when he requested that area."I just don't want to face the wall" Oh well, the wall was looking good. Our waiter was very nice - Renil from India. Dinner was great -Baby Spinach and Treviso Salad and Beef Tornedo. The salad was very good. The beef was melt in your mouth amazing. I wish I had a picture.

Edited by Marvy Mare
  • Like 2

Very much enjoying this review.  Presentation format is excellent...

Sorry you did not get the 50% off for dinner.   We avoid all quicksells on board and book through a maitre d.. For dining and spa everything we agree to must be in writing and we reconfirm pricing  upon arrival..Tacky but necessary, esp with dining and spa...have had issues with both so we learned. "Trust but verify".

• Like 2

From the review:

."....... As I have probably mentioned before, Ken is a worrier. I'm like "What me worry" (Alfred E Newman - a long time ago). I'm worried now, but aren't we all.........." 

For those who do not know Alfred E. Newman...Mad Magazine!

t_500x300.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, hcat said:

Very much enjoying this review.  Presentation format is excellent...

Sorry you did not get the 50% off for dinner.   We avoid all quicksells on board and book through a maitre d.. For dining and spa everything we agree to must be in writing and we reconfirm pricing  upon arrival..Tacky but necessary, esp with dining and spa...have had issues with both so we learned. "Trust but verify".

Thanks. I guess I learned my lesson. Next time.

Maris

36 minutes ago, hcat said:

From the review:

."....... As I have probably mentioned before, Ken is a worrier. I'm like "What me worry" (Alfred E Newman - a long time ago). I'm worried now, but aren't we all.........." 

For those who do not know Alfred E. Newman...Mad Magazine!

t_500x300.jpg

😂 That's it. My brother used to get Mad Magazine. I think we even knew someone who looked a bit like Alfred!

March 3 - Day 2 - At Sea

Celebrity Showtime was All McCartney Live - A tribute to Paul McCartney. I've always been a Beatles fan. I listened to the White Album over and over.Paul McCartney and Wings, not quite so much but still... My sister-in-law was a huge John Lennon fan. I still remember where I was the day he was murdered. At my birthday dinner before we left coincidentally Elaine was telling a story of seeing the Beatles live in Toronto and somehow ending up near the stage & John "looked right at her".

The concert was was quite enjoyable Ian B. Garcia (Paul) made no attempt to look like Paul. At times he sounded like him. Other times not so much. From a distance he looked to me like a neighbour that I really don't like. Upon closer inspection, he didn't look like the neighbour at all. Sorry Ian, it coloured my enjoyment of the concert a bit. 

_DSC4377

If you were on our cruise, you may find yourself in one of these photos. 

_DSC4380

_DSC4383

_DSC4379

_DSC4383

_DSC4384

_DSC4387

We headed back to sit on the deck for a few minutes. We had been sailing South East most of the day. It was getting warmer. I checked the TV map before bed. We has just passed between the Dominican Republic & The Cayman Islands.

One more Sea Day and then Cartagena!!!!

• Like 2