Travellers to Australia have to self-isolate for 14 days

15 minutes ago, Hawka said:

i some how thought they could not dock just re read they will just have to isolate themselves for 2 weeks 

The way I read the announcement is that ships that can dock by midnight tonight are OK as are those in Australian waters (the Sea Princess on its shortened around Australia cruise). However, the ships in NZ might be stuck there and the passengers flown home to go into isolation at home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pushka said:

As flight crews will have to comply with the 14 day curfew, this effectively stops international travel in Australia.  

I just heard on the news that flight crews are exempt. ( TEN news from Sydney )

I also saw the story of an Australian man returning home from Europe and had a Covid 19 test done here and while awaiting the results flew to NZ where he was contacted by his doctor to say he had tested positive. Yes the NZ authorities were notified.

Grrr, I feel like this guy didn't care about anybody else but himself. I would think that he would of been told to self isolate until his test results came back, not got on another plane to potentially spread his infection around.

The states are going to determine on Monday what penalties apply for breaking isolation.

I not sure but I think that Queensland may be bringing in a fine of $13 000. I hope someone else out there knows if I am right about this.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

I am presuming they will be tied up at the nearest port to where they are ,or where they finish the present cruise

Ports with plenty of room ??

Tauranga, Fremantle, Sydney ,....White Bay..Newcastle......what others ?

Ships could also be double berthed ie side by side. , or held at anchor or at a buoy.

Port Kembla, Eden? Both large ports too

40 minutes ago, sewgood said:

I just heard on the news that flight crews are exempt. ( TEN news from Sydney )

I also saw the story of an Australian man returning home from Europe and had a Covid 19 test done here and while awaiting the results flew to NZ where he was contacted by his doctor to say he had tested positive. Yes the NZ authorities were notified.

Grrr, I feel like this guy didn't care about anybody else but himself. I would think that he would of been told to self isolate until his test results came back, not got on another plane to potentially spread his infection around.

The states are going to determine on Monday what penalties apply for breaking isolation.

I not sure but I think that Queensland may be bringing in a fine of $13 000. I hope someone else out there knows if I am right about this.

It's disgusting isn't it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

The way I read the announcement is that ships that can dock by midnight tonight are OK as are those in Australian waters (the Sea Princess on its shortened around Australia cruise). However, the ships in NZ might be stuck there and the passengers flown home to go into isolation at home.

The sensible thing would have been to allow Australian-based ships to return to the port of embarkation for that cruise and disembark there but ... 🙄

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The sensible thing would have been to allow Australian-based ships to return to the port of embarkation for that cruise and disembark there but ... 🙄

The government might allow it. The announcement said "cruise ships coming from a foreign country". An argument could be made that the ships currently in NZ actually came from Australia.

3 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

The government might allow it. The announcement said "cruise ships coming from a foreign country". An argument could be made that the ships currently in NZ actually came from Australia.

Yes. Unfortunately the government hasn't made it very clear.

8 hours ago, Pushka said:

As flight crews will have to comply with the 14 day curfew, this effectively stops international travel in Australia.  

When done previously, that has not been the case. I'm not sure it's changed this time.

9 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Cruise ships from foreign ports have been banned from arriving in Australia for 30 days, and that will go forward on a rolling basis.

That's going to be a big problem for those cruises currently in NZ or in the South Pacific. 

It's a very Trumpian announcement. They made some mention of catering for Australians, but as we are a tourist market, how are the non-Australians onboard these cruises out of Australia meant to get off? Have the ship sail to each resident's country... Ridiculous thought bubble and announcement there.

6 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

It's a very Trumpian announcement. They made some mention of catering for Australians, but as we are a tourist market, how are the non-Australians onboard these cruises out of Australia meant to get off? Have the ship sail to each resident's country... Ridiculous thought bubble and announcement there.

Agreed, there will be many exceptions to the rule.

24 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

If you’re travelling or returning to Australia, you'll now be required to self-isolate for 14 days. This applies to all travellers, including Australian citizens. For details see the Australian Border Force website.

Our neighbours flew to Fiji last week, they now have to self isolate for 14 days on their return......and the two kids.

I have their house key as we feed the fish and water plants, so will grocery shop and fill the fridge and pantry for them before they get back.

They both work, are social and sport people, life will be tough in that house for 2 weeks😨

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, cheznandy said:

Our neighbours flew to Fiji last week, they now have to self isolate for 14 days on their return......and the two kids.

I have their house key as we feed the fish and water plants, so will grocery shop and fill the fridge and pantry for them before they get back.

They both work, are social and sport people, life will be tough in that house for 2 weeks😨

It will be hard on many people, I hope I don't have to do it. will go stir crazy.

9 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

It will be hard on many people, I hope I don't have to do it. will go stir crazy.

You would not be the only one . Let’s hope it does not happen,. Did you see the videos on YouTube of the Italians entertaining their neighbours with music from their balconies. Just heard all movie theatres in LA told to close, 

23 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

You would not be the only one . Let’s hope it does not happen,. Did you see the videos on YouTube of the Italians entertaining their neighbours with music from their balconies. Just heard all movie theatres in LA told to close, 

Things (like banning social gatherings) need to happen quickly if the spread of this is to be slowed and give the medical profession time to deal with the sick or many more will die that could have been saved.

2 hours ago, cheznandy said:

What a wonderful neighbour you are Cheryl. I'm sure your neighbours will be very grateful for your kindness. Good luck buying what they will need.

My daughter co teaches with a friend who is in the US at the moment, due back on Friday. She will be in the same boat as your neighbours as will be many others. She is married and has a pre-schooler and a ten year old at home. 

Leigh

Edited by possum52