alternate vacation plans

Fun4Us2013

We are booked on the May 2 Mediterranean tour leaving from Rome. It is a dream vacation for us and we are still holding out but in the event we can’t go, I’m trying to figure out where else to go for a much needed rest. Has anyone else thought about an alternate place to go? 

Yes, but for now, just doin a staycation. There is so much changing, you really can't make any meaningful plans. My May flight back from Rome to US on Norwegian Air, unrelated to NCL, is now cancelled. In fact they cancelled all Rome - Boston flights through end of May. So now, I just wait for NCL to cancel so I can get 100% money back or file CFAR and get 75% back. If anyone has flights on Norwegian Air that are cancelled, file your refund claims promptly. Who knows if they have cash to issue refunds. They are in severe financial trouble. If no bailout, they'll probably be done within a couple of months. Safe travels to anyone traveling.

Just now, blcruising said:

Yes, but for now, just doin a staycation. There is so much changing, you really can't make any meaningful plans. My May flight back from Rome to US on Norwegian Air, unrelated to NCL, is now cancelled. In fact they cancelled all Rome - Boston flights through end of May. So now, I just wait for NCL to cancel so I can get 100% money back or file CFAR and get 75% back. If anyone has flights on Norwegian Air that are cancelled, file your refund claims promptly. Who knows if they have cash to issue refunds. They are in severe financial trouble. If no bailout, they'll probably be done within a couple of months. Safe travels to anyone traveling.

So true about Norwegian.  They are by far my favorite airline to travel to Europe, but they've been having huge financial problems for a while now.  They can't survive this. 

• Like 1

We were looking for a cruise over Easter.  That isn't going to happen.  Right now, we are staying close but have a week booked in Orlando (we live in Tampa) in June at a resort for the kids.  Just going to hang out by the pool and relax.  We are letting our kids bring someone so they can go off and have fun since, god forbid, they hang out with each other. 

4 hours ago, Fun4Us2013 said:

We are booked on the May 2 Mediterranean tour leaving from Rome. It is a dream vacation for us and we are still holding out but in the event we can’t go, I’m trying to figure out where else to go for a much needed rest. Has anyone else thought about an alternate place to go? 

Interior painting of our home.
Yoga at home.

Walking and exercising at home.

Avoiding people.
Staying healthy and active while watching the wordometer.com daily updates.

We weresupposed to do Bermuda in May and Europe this fall. Not now.

Supposed to visit our adult kids out West. Not now.

Trying to convince 93 years old parents who are still in Florida to fly home to New England so we can help them.
We’re age 65 and higher risk factors. Adjust and stay home.
You can never get your health back!

• Like 7

49 minutes ago, elwood_98034 said:

www.bostonglobe.com/2020/03/13/opinion/coronavirus-cautionary-tale-italy-dont-do-what-we-did/?p1=Article_Feed_ContentQuery

'Many of us were too selfish to follow suggestions to change our behavior. Now we’re in lockdown and people are needlessly dying.'

Perhaps it is time to stay home for a while.

Or remember to treat this like any other flu and wash your hands with soap and water instead of hiding in your homes and counting toilet paper.

Yes, the .7% mortality rate is a concern, and for those people that are high risk they should avoid other people. FOr the majority of the population, there really isn't a lot you can do to avoid this.

Do you go to work with other people?

Do you ride the still operational NYC subway system?

When this hysterical panic is over, Mom & Pop places, hotels, restaurants, other small venues, will have gone out of business from lack of patronage. Big corporations will happily close in and take over their market share.

Meanwhile, those working jobs and living paycheck to paycheck will go to work, or they won't get paid and probably lose their jobs.

The hospitality industry is the 5th largest industry in the US employment, while wholesale and retail industry is the 2nd largest industry employment. This panic is doing exactly what several groups want, destroying the US economy in a manner that it may take years to recover.

It also may force the November election to be put on indefinite hold due to a state of national emergency.

• Like 1

We will likely stick around town for a while.  I've always wanted to take a road trip on Route 66 and take in Americana.  Maybe we'll do something like that.  I don't know at this point.  For us, it's too soon to tell or to even begin thinking about our next vacation moves.  I've got beer in the fridge and I now see my back yard in a whole new light.  When the time is right, it will be important for people to vacation again.  Our economy will depend on it.

1 hour ago, elwood_98034 said:

www.bostonglobe.com/2020/03/13/opinion/coronavirus-cautionary-tale-italy-dont-do-what-we-did/?p1=Article_Feed_ContentQuery

'Many of us were too selfish to follow suggestions to change our behavior. Now we’re in lockdown and people are needlessly dying.'

Perhaps it is time to stay home for a while.

When I read things like this, I think, how can I get infected now before the hospitals reach capacity, while there is still a remote chance of first class treatment if I am one of the people who need hospitalization.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DarkJedi said:

Or remember to treat this like any other flu and wash your hands with soap and water instead of hiding in your homes and counting toilet paper.

Yes, the .7% mortality rate is a concern, and for those people that are high risk they should avoid other people. FOr the majority of the population, there really isn't a lot you can do to avoid this.

When this hysterical panic is over, Mom & Pop places, hotels, restaurants, other small venues, will have gone out of business from lack of patronage. Big corporations will happily close in and take over their market share.

Meanwhile, those working jobs and living paycheck to paycheck will go to work, or they won't get paid and probably lose their jobs.

The hospitality industry is the 5th largest industry in the US employment, while wholesale and retail industry is the 2nd largest industry employment. This panic is doing exactly what several groups want, destroying the US economy in a manner that it may take years to recover.

It also may force the November election to be put on indefinite hold due to a state of national emergency.

I just got off a NCL ship today. My hands are actually peeling from constant washing and hand gel.  Problem is if I had a dollar for every person I saw cough without covering their mouth or cough into their hands!!! I would be rich today.  Had to walk out of a restaurant because our waitress was coughing non stop into her hand.  Saw that in another restaurant. Actually saw way less coughing in elbow (passengers for sure) so all my hand washing with this going on was a double edged sword.

BTW the death rate for a 70 year old is not .7 it is 8%.  Huge difference and after 80 it doubles.  So my point is until people start waking up all the hand washing isn’t 100% of the answer. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DarkJedi said:

I work in a big ER in Seattle. I will give you a big tip, at a certain point a certain number of people like me are going to decide they don't need a job at the moment, or it is time for a career change, or maybe even retirement. We are running short of gloves and masks as well. If they run out I would suggest that a good number of my co-workers will walk out the door and not look back. That is the day you don't want to get carried into an ER. And don't forget, EMT's have families too. They can always go get a job somewhere else as well.  No one forces us to go to work, we do it voluntarily.

• Like 8

I don't know where this 0.7% mortality rate is coming from.

"3.4% Mortality Rate estimate by the World Health Organization (WHO) as of March 3
In his opening remarks at the March 3 media briefing on Covid-19, WHO Director-General Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus stated:

“Globally, about 3.4% of reported COVID-19 cases have died. By comparison, seasonal flu generally kills far fewer than 1% of those infected.”"

And that won't include the people who die of renal failure after their 'recovery', or suffer permanent long term lung damage. Another thing that isn't getting much traction, is that because the testes form with the kidneys embryonically, there has been a little bit of research coming out of China where high virus loads have been found in the seminiferous tubules, and that the infection may cause infertility, but that won't be known unless people go out and get tested. So, 'asymptomatic' doesn't mean you have got away with it. Your renal function may have been permanently reduced, or you may have become infertile and don't even know it. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, mnsweeps said:

what are you talking about? Every airport in US will be open. Its the flights that are reduced.

Every airport in the US will be open? That's great news. Like the Canadian cruise ports? Oh, that's right. They just closed. Oh, so did the US ones. Well, that's awkward.

• Like 5

I've kept my Heathrow and Copenhagen hotels for now, plus the Copenhagen flight, on the hopes that Denmark will re-open borders before I'm due to go in June - I seem to have bought 'cancel for random reasons' insurance on 'most everything so it can't hurt and might help some businesses stay alive.  I think the cruise will most likely be cancelled but I'd still like something to do during that time off that I've booked

2 hours ago, elwood_98034 said:

I work in a big ER in Seattle. I will give you a big tip, at a certain point a certain number of people like me are going to decide they don't need a job at the moment, or it is time for a career change, or maybe even retirement. We are running short of gloves and masks as well. If they run out I would suggest that a good number of my co-workers will walk out the door and not look back. That is the day you don't want to get carried into an ER. And don't forget, EMT's have families too. They can always go get a job somewhere else as well.  No one forces us to go to work, we do it voluntarily.

My heart goes out to the Hospital staff, as you are getting hit the hardest. I work in a 10x10 clinic with no ventilation, and all I have right now are surgical masks and gloves, no gowns, and no n95 masks. Today, 2 sick people came in and argued with me about wearing a mask! And you are right, I too feel like walking away, especially when people come in and act like this is no big deal. Besides being an FNP, I am also the caregiver of an elderly parent that has COPD. Sadly, many people will have to find out the hard way, when it hits someone in their own family. 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, DarkJedi said:

Is this argument still happening? This is not the flu. First it’s not a .7% mortality rate it’s multiple percentage points. Second, that’s not even the point anymore. The point is how contagious it is and how fast it spreads without controls in place. And this fast spreading (much faster than the flu) to everyone exposed (no vaccinations, no built up immunity) causes the number of people who have the severe form (believe it’s around 20%) to overrun the health care systems and put anyone who needs life saving health care in danger of not getting it. This is a group problem, not individual, which is why it needs a group solution. 

We are following the experts advise and staying home as much as possible. I won’t be taking any trips until this gets worked out.

• Like 7

My cruise got cancelled like so many others and the so-called "staycation" was in my plans but now our state just closed down all restaurants and BARS as of tomorrow at closing.

First the virus, then NO sports, then the stock market going south and now this.   Ugh.

Yea, I know..it could be worse.

19 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

My cruise got cancelled like so many others and the so-called "staycation" was in my plans but now our state just closed down all restaurants and BARS as of tomorrow at closing.

First the virus, then NO sports, then the stock market going south and now this.   Ugh.

Yea, I know..it could be worse.

Which statecare you located in?