Canceled prior to Corona Virus

tinatark

Looking for advice (because the hold time for Travel Guard is untenable!) ... Cancelled our January 2020 cruise to to my father in law's death.  Provided death certificate/obutuary to Travel Guard for proof of claim.  My most recent email from Travel Guard is asking for the below:

Required Documents

COPY OF REFUNDS/ PROOF TRIP COST IS NON-REFUNDABLE

Please provide a copy of any amounts refunded to you for this trip or proof the trip cost is non-refundable

I'm pretty sure this request is because of the refunds/FCC's offered to cruises currently being canceled. 

I booked through a big box agency.  Any idea of how to "prove" we didn't get a refund for this cruise (cancelled 4 days before sailing).

Thanks for the advice!

Your 'Big Box' is in a position to provide that documentation as you went through them, paid them and etc.

Call (or email if that is an option) and ask for a letter or something which supports the info requested by the insurance company.

Will it be quick coming? Possibly not, but you will have your request in regardless.

A 'wait on hold' possible still...

Sorry about the loss of your family member, I know it must be tough.

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

43 minutes ago, tinatark said:

Looking for advice (because the hold time for Travel Guard is untenable!) ... Cancelled our January 2020 cruise to to my father in law's death.  Provided death certificate/obutuary to Travel Guard for proof of claim.  My most recent email from Travel Guard is asking for the below:

Required Documents

COPY OF REFUNDS/ PROOF TRIP COST IS NON-REFUNDABLE

Please provide a copy of any amounts refunded to you for this trip or proof the trip cost is non-refundable

I'm pretty sure this request is because of the refunds/FCC's offered to cruises currently being canceled. 

I booked through a big box agency.  Any idea of how to "prove" we didn't get a refund for this cruise (cancelled 4 days before sailing).

Thanks for the advice!

This has always been required for our claims, be they cruises or airfare or hotels.

The insurer had the right to make sure that the claim is really for a loss, etc.

I think for cruises, the cancellation acknowledgment shows that the cancellation date was in the "no refund" time frame (e.g., 60 days before departure or whatever).

ETA: This was the case even when we used a travel agent.  They just forwarded the regular docs from the cruise line, etc.

GC

Edited by GeezerCouple
  • Thanks 1

I wonder if it would help or even be necessary to include a copy of the amended cancellation policy that was issued by most cruise lines once the coronavirus pandemic caused them to change their terms and reimbursement policies.

That would be one way to prove that your cancellation pre-dated any other compensation from the cruise line.

I’m sorry that the extra paperwork is adding to your stress at this time of loss.