Cruise Ship Locations - During the cruise ship ban of 2020/2021/2022

39 minutes ago, Vader1111 said:

Royal Caribbean is an American company, so the ships should either go to the USA, or the port where they are registeredShips

I don’t think they want them in Miami because they aren’t registered and crewed by America. Also Royal Caribbean is incorporated in Liberia.

Most of there ships are around coco cay ,the private  Island.

Send them to Lelepa , their pacific island 

Edited by Chiliburn

44 minutes ago, Vader1111 said:

Royal Caribbean is an American company, so the ships should either go to the USA, or the port where they are registered.

It may come as a surprise to you but most of the cruise lines are not American companies. They are incorporated in other countries.

Hi Folks

Out of all the hundreds of ships around the Australian coast the now empty cruise liners offer very little threat ... they will find safe haven at a number of commercial ports away from the bright lights

give a moments thoughts to their crews ..a long way from home and not a chance in hell of getting home

So stop being silly Australia , without ships this country will wither away .....show some compassion allow them to swing at anchor out in the bay

Regards

John

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

He probably doesn't know that Australia is their "port of origin": many ships are based in Australia. On the other hand, maybe he means port of registry??

Which is why I said he doesn't have a clue.

7 hours ago, Vader1111 said:

That applies to some ships...

However, there are a lot of ships which are only based here for 6 months of the year.  For example, I have no idea why the Royal Caribbean ships are still hanging around offshore.  There's not a snowball's chance in Hell of them taking any passengers onboard until Spring at the very earliest (probably Spring 2021).

I guess the question is where these ships should actually go?  They can't just go to their (Australian) winter homes - Singapore or Vancouver - as both ports are closed.  So where are they supposed to go?  I guess they could go home to the USA, but the docks in Miami are probably full already.

They're sitting here for want of clarity in their situation. Better to stay put until things clear up, as the situation can - and has - changed before they've gotten to their next port already. Hence the sensible thing for the governments to handle them is to do what the law of the sea says for the same reasons - deal with those in or closest to your territorial waters.

This policy on the run and ignorance of convention as well as disregard for human life from our political leaders is a disgrace - but unfortunately not out of character.

3 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

I don’t think they want them in Miami because they aren’t registered and crewed by America. Also Royal Caribbean is incorporated in Liberia.

Most of there ships are around coco cay ,the private  Island.

Send them to Lelepa , their pacific island 

US ports had not closed down to cruise ships so they're actually 'welcome' there, in formal respects. Although with the changes in the past few days and massive growth of cases and deaths in the US, that may well change by the time a ship got there.

That's why there is uncertainty on the two HAL ships heading to Florida. They're believed all good to go and dock there, but as this shows, human self interest sometimes overrides agreed rules and conventions.

10 hours ago, Vader1111 said:

If they're only here for 6 months of the year, then Australia is not their home port.

Royal Caribbean is an American company, so the ships should either go to the USA, or the port where they are registered.

Ships which operate out of Australia 12-months of the year, such as the P&O fleet, should be allowed to stay.

The Ruby Princess should be allowed to stay as well, while they still have CV-19 onboard.  It's not feasible to send them to the US, sailing across the open waters of the Pacific, with crew on board who may require urgent medical care.

But that means they are somewhere else for only 6 months as well (which is nearly never where they are registered), so where do they go.

20 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

On a bright note, while these are ships sitting off our shores without pax and very little crew, At least Australia is sill getting some income from them for services that they regularly need and the port fees.

And Trussed Rod should be happy now because they are not polluting the world as much as before.  (Couldn't resist the pun😉)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

But that means they are somewhere else for only 6 months as well (which is nearly never where they are registered), so where do they go.

The problem is that most ports around the world are now closed to cruise ships.  We have some ships which alternate between Sydney & Singapore - Singapore has closed to cruise ships, so where do they go?  Similarly, those which do the Alaska run in the northern summer also have nowhere else to go.

12 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Sea Princess and Sun Princess have been home-ported in Australia for years. Golden and Ruby are here currently.

Some of the Princess ships are home-ported here permanently, others are not.  I figured I was safer using P&O Australia as my example, as all of their ships are home-ported here 365 days of the year.  The examples were not meant to be exclusive!

27 minutes ago, Vader1111 said:

Some of the Princess ships are home-ported here permanently, others are not.  I figured I was safer using P&O Australia as my example, as all of their ships are home-ported here 365 days of the year.  The examples were not meant to be exclusive!

I wasn't contradicting you: I was adding to your comment. 🙂

• Like 1

13 hours ago, VK3DQ said:

give a moments thoughts to their crews ..a long way from home and not a chance in hell of getting home

So stop being silly Australia , without ships this country will wither away .....show some compassion allow them to swing at anchor out in the bay

Ahhh some sanity among all the chatter - thank you John

13 hours ago, VK3DQ said:

Out of all the hundreds of ships around the Australian coast the now empty cruise liners offer very little threat ... they will find safe haven at a number of commercial ports away from the bright lights.  give a moments thoughts to their crews ..a long way from home and not a chance in hell of getting home

I agree. 👍 And as Mic said, Australia is getting some income from the supplies that these ships need.

• Like 1

It would make some sort of sense for ships to be returned to their country of registration. That is technically their home port regardless of the marketing stuff the cruise lines put out about such and such a ship having Melbourne or Sydney, for example, as their home bases.

I thought this was interesting enough to share. As I understand it, the reason some ships were changed to say, UK registration is because Bahamas does not allow same sex marriage in its jurisdiction which includes on ships registered to that country.

'The regulations that apply to ships are determined by the country where they are registered.

Some countries have stricter regulations, such as the US, which supplies the cruise market with the majority of its customers.

A ship registered in the US is governed by United States maritime law, which specifies the wages that must be paid to crew, the environmental safeguards that apply to waste disposal, the certifications for ships' officers and the right of passengers to take action against the cruise operator in a US court of law, to name just a few of the strictures.

A cruise operator might decide that they would rather operate under a less strict regime, and most do.

This means they register in another country and adopt a flag of convenience, and in the cruise industry the preferred flag is that of the Bahamas. Among other advantages, the Bahamas does not impose any tax on income. Any profit the cruise line makes is untaxed, neither is there any tax on capital gain if a vessel is sold at a profit.'

A few years ago, Princess explained that they changed their port of registry from the UK to the Bahamas because under UK law, the captain of a ship could not legally marry people. By changing their registration to the Bahamas, Princess could add a new rather lucrative 'extra' - weddings at sea. I haven't heard that any have been changed back to the UK.

• Like 1

Yes FOC - Flag of convenience - the majority of cruise ships - are governed by there flag state, as are all ships.

This also governes certification of the officers - Navigation & Engineering. Other senior personel are hotel staff.

This means that the officers on a FOC ship may not have certificates that are recognised by for example UK, USA, Norway, Netherlands & Australia among others. This is a subject that few people would know fully & I certainly do not.

Aust Traveller is correct - under UK registration marriages cannot be done but several Princess cruise ships are now registered back in UK including those permanently in Australia.  This also applies to P&O Australia vessels.

• Like 1

Sorry, I have not bee able to post another update, for a few days, I have not had very much internet access since we had to go in to lock down here in New Zealand.

I am currently doing another update, and will post it when its complete 🙂.

• Like 1

David - some positions PM 1st Atril :-

Azamara Journey  BNE container berth

Wind Spirit dep. BNE  AIS  Hay Point Qld. [near Mackay & Whitsundays]

Carnival Spirit due BNE 2/4

Sun Princess - NSW N.coast   AIS - Gladstone 4/4