Cruise Ship Locations - During the cruise ship ban of 2020/2021/2022

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

We had a visitor in Victoria today. We happened upon a small group excursion at the summit of Mt Tolmie, you can see the ships from there. I decided to take a picture, a royal visitor as it were.

20220710_123825.thumb.jpg.14bee6660be8d3d1265f35d88a830fa8.jpg

Mmmm, Victoria. Barb's Fish & Chips and the pickle boats are my fondest memories. It is great when you return to the pier and it looks like a parking lot for ships.

30 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Mmmm, Victoria. Barb's Fish & Chips and the pickle boats are my fondest memories. It is great when you return to the pier and it looks like a parking lot for ships.

Aren't the little harbour ferries fun? We take them sometimes just because they are fun. We can park outside the downtown core and hop the little ferry into the inner harbour and wander around like a tourist.

We haven't really gotten into Barbs, our favourite Fish & Chips shop is nowhere near Downtown.

I was happy to see a ship that was here during the day. So many ships show up in the late afternoon and stay for about 4 hours. Victoria deserves a whole day, not just a 5 minute stop to fulfill the PVSA.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Aren't the little harbour ferries fun? We take them sometimes just because they are fun. We can park outside the downtown core and hop the little ferry into the inner harbour and wander around like a tourist.

We haven't really gotten into Barbs, our favourite Fish & Chips shop is nowhere near Downtown.

I was happy to see a ship that was here during the day. So many ships show up in the late afternoon and stay for about 4 hours. Victoria deserves a whole day, not just a 5 minute stop to fulfill the PVSA.

I agree Victoria and Vancouver Island deserve a longer visit.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Might be tainted a bit when you have a wife named Barb and she sells seafood for a living. The logo is awesome, so we tried to buy some merchandise, but had to settle for a few basket liners.

The pickle boats are cool. I will have to come back to use my "good for one hop" token.

30 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Might be tainted a bit when you have a wife named Barb and she sells seafood for a living. The logo is awesome, so we tried to buy some merchandise, but had to settle for a few basket liners.

The pickle boats are cool. I will have to come back to use my "good for one hop" token.

If you come back let us know, I'll stand the first round.

I'll see if Barbs has any merch for sale, they don't show any on their website.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

If you come back let us know, I'll stand the first round.

I'll see if Barbs has any merch for sale, they don't show any on their website.

The only thing they had with a logo apart from their liners was their aprons, but they weren't for sale. If you spot anything, I would sure love to surprise her.

We will get back one day, but no immediate plans. The whole Alaska & Canadian Rockies trip is about as good as it gets, and 3 times is not enough.

2 minutes ago, arxcards said:

The only thing they had with a logo apart from their liners was their aprons, but they weren't for sale. If you spot anything, I would sure love to surprise her.

We will get back one day, but no immediate plans. The whole Alaska & Canadian Rockies trip is about as good as it gets, and 3 times is not enough.

Have you been to the Yukon? We are looking at ways to do that. I haven't been there since 1977 and my wife has never been there. You could easily spend a week on Vancouver Island and only scratch the surface. I have lived on this island for most of my 63 years and haven't been north of Campbell River.

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Have you been to the Yukon? We are looking at ways to do that. I haven't been there since 1977 and my wife has never been there. You could easily spend a week on Vancouver Island and only scratch the surface. I have lived on this island for most of my 63 years and haven't been north of Campbell River.

Yes, but not seen much. Just the train up from Skagway to Fraser and a bus out to Carcross, and a couple of other spots. Next time in Skagway, we will look to get up to Whitehorse for a look around.

15 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Agree you could spend a week on Vancouver Island and only scratch the service.  We have visited Vancouver Island several times, traveling from south to north by train and car and by ferry then east to west to the beautiful West Coast.  You can catch a bus from the Vancouver Airport direct to Victoria, Vancouver Island.  We have flown to Victoria, when it had icicles on the lamp posts.  

We have just touched the surface of Yukon, driving from Skagway to Whitehorse, where it snowed in mid September.  I'd love to explore more of the Yukon.  

• Like 1

The Yukon is experiencing unprecedented wildfire activity this year. Here in BC we have had a rather mild fire season so far so we are lending some of our fire crews to the Yukon. This is our way of saying thank you to the Yukon for the help they gave us during our extreme fire season last year.

• Like 1

Australian Cruise Ships Update - 17 July 2022.

Here are the location of the last of the Aussie fleet who was sailing from Australia during our session (when covid hit) who are waiting to restart there service.

Pacific Adventure - Docked in Trieste, Italy:

pacificadventure16072022.jpg

Sapphire Princess - Has been a busy cruise ship since my last update!

She has left Limassol, Cyprus and headed for the Suez Canal:

sapphireprincess12072022.jpg

Sapphire Princess has left the Suez Canal

sapphireprincess14072022.jpg

Sapphire Princess is now on her way to Singapore:

sapphireprincess16072022.jpg

She is due in Singapore on 28th July 2022.

Diamond Princess - Is currently anchored off Manila Bay and soon she will be starting her long trip to Los Angeles, USA:

diamondprincess16072022.jpg

diamond-bridge16072022.jpg

Pacific Encounter - She has left the Suez Canal and is now on her way to Singapore:

pacificencounter06072022.jpg

On Thursday, Pacific Encounter had check in to AIS off the coast of Sri Lanka on her way to Singapore.

pacificencounter15072022.jpg

Pacific Encounter is due in Singapore on the 19th July 2022.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Kiwi_cruiser said:

Update on Pacific Encounter:

Pacific Encounter has come in to AIS range off the coast of Indonesia:

pacificencounter25072022.jpg

Stu, add Cruise mapper to your arsenal, as they have satellite AIS tracking of the cruise ships. A bit less detail, but you do get to see the whole journey.

She is out of terrestrial range again, but has cleared Indonesia and is now coming into the Arafura Sea, around 150 nautical miles north of our Melville Island. They should be picking up the reef pilot around this time on Thursday near Thursday Island. They picked the right day this time.

• Like 1

A bit of nostalgia. Reading the first page of this thread is a bit like the Twilight Zone. And we were all shocked at the time that cruising was shut down for a month.

Glad you have chronicled this so well Stu.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

A bit of nostalgia. Reading the first page of this thread is a bit like the Twilight Zone. And we were all shocked at the time that cruising was shut down for a month.

Glad you have chronicled this so well Stu.

Thank You Geoff 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks stu.

Was on her as Star Princess in March 2004, Sydney to Darwin, she was new then. She attracted heaps of interest at opt, largest ship to berth there, back then @ 109,000 tonnes.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Kiwi_cruiser said:

Pacific Encounter got to meet Coral Princess, as passing ships in the night.

pacificencounter04072022.jpg

Only 3 large cruise ships in the whole country, all between Mackay & Cairns. Explorer heading over towards Willis Island.

• Like 2

On 7/29/2022 at 7:03 PM, NSWP said:

Thanks stu.

Was on her as Star Princess in March 2004, Sydney to Darwin, she was new then. She attracted heaps of interest at opt, largest ship to berth there, back then @ 109,000 tonnes.

Was back before the fire.

• Like 1