Ponant Suspends Operations

Wendai

39 minutes ago, jland said:

directionfinder, if you obtain any other info about this cruise could I ask you to pass it on to me, I would be very grateful. Thank you.

jland, I don't have any other information about the Nord-West Passage from the talk to Ponant Germany. 

I talked to them also about the France cruises (see Thread) and they also told me that they might be able to get their Iceland /greenland cruises running.

But I just found this interesting piece https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23102-ponant-announces-comprehensive-covid-safe-protocol.html

In the text is also the link to the "save protocol".

I understand you problem well. I was supposed to fly to Japan next Monday to board for a four week cruise to Russia far east, Kamtschatka to Alaska, then flying to Seattle. My flight to Japan was canceled long time ago, and I got the money back within 7 days (Cathay), so I had no flight to Japan. But a week before we were supposed to pay the final fare, the cruise was canceled by Ponant, lucky me!

Now I still have a visa for Russia and a flight back from Vancouver to Germany! 

In Germany we still have a travel warning for a lot of countries (nearly all except EU) this helps people to cancel their trips.

Don't you have something like this in Australia? Can't you just cancel or would it be to expensive?

13 hours ago, directionfinder said:

jland, I don't have any other information about the Nord-West Passage from the talk to Ponant Germany. 

I talked to them also about the France cruises (see Thread) and they also told me that they might be able to get their Iceland /greenland cruises running.

But I just found this interesting piece https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23102-ponant-announces-comprehensive-covid-safe-protocol.html

In the text is also the link to the "save protocol".

I understand you problem well. I was supposed to fly to Japan next Monday to board for a four week cruise to Russia far east, Kamtschatka to Alaska, then flying to Seattle. My flight to Japan was canceled long time ago, and I got the money back within 7 days (Cathay), so I had no flight to Japan. But a week before we were supposed to pay the final fare, the cruise was canceled by Ponant, lucky me!

Now I still have a visa for Russia and a flight back from Vancouver to Germany! 

In Germany we still have a travel warning for a lot of countries (nearly all except EU) this helps people to cancel their trips.

Don't you have something like this in Australia? Can't you just cancel or would it be to expensive?

Did you get a refund for your cruise? I cannot cancel our cruise, we would lose our deposit but the transport minister has said our borders will remain closed until at least 2021, so we will not be able to do this cruise even if it goes ahead.

I just wanted to let everyone know I finally got my refund of my deposit less 10%.

I cancelled my cruise in March and decided to cop the 10%  cancellation fee because I didn't want ponant to get anymore of my hard earned cash. 

One thing I will guarantee is I will NEVER touch Ponant again or any company that is affiliated to Mr Pinault. 

• Like 3

Is there a link to the latest list of cancellations available?  Looks like Le Bellot's Iceland sailings of July 13 and July 20 have disappeared from the website and the first one showing is a Bergen - Honfleur on Sept 11.  Due to laborious airline connections involving too many stops, we had backed out anyway and transferred out deposit to Le Champlain for September 2021. 

Is anyone receiving word from Ponant about canceled cruises?  I am scheduled for one out of Vancouver on September 9th and I am sure it will not happen.  Final payment is due in 4 days and I don't want to pay it but I do want my deposit back.  My travel agent told me several weeks ago that I would be hearing from Ponant soon and then I could request a refund.  However, that has not happened.

Since you haven't heard back from your agent after several weeks, you might consider this suggestion from Seabiscuit68:

On 6/6/2020 at 9:02 AM, Seabiscuit68 said:

Catherine Brin is the Customer Service Manager for US reservations.  She is the individual who originally emailed us  the FCC when the cruise was cancelled.    Nsawhney is CEO and hbellaiche is VP of Sales and Marketing.

cbrin@ponant.com

usreservations@ponant.com

nsawhney@ponant.com

hbellaiche@ponant.com

12 hours ago, Big Timber said:

Is anyone receiving word from Ponant about canceled cruises?  I am scheduled for one out of Vancouver on September 9th and I am sure it will not happen.  Final payment is due in 4 days and I don't want to pay it but I do want my deposit back.  My travel agent told me several weeks ago that I would be hearing from Ponant soon and then I could request a refund.  However, that has not happened.

Big Timber, final payment is now due 30 days before you sail. My cruise is 28th August and that was the info Ponant emailed me. My cruise has not been cancelled but TA informed me on Monday a decision was imminent. With our borders closed until at least 2021 not sure how Ponant thinks we can fly anywhere. I remain discussed with this company, they will never ever see another cent of my money.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, jland said:

Big Timber, final payment is now due 30 days before you sail. My cruise is 28th August and that was the info Ponant emailed me. My cruise has not been cancelled but TA informed me on Monday a decision was imminent. With our borders closed until at least 2021 not sure how Ponant thinks we can fly anywhere. I remain discussed with this company, they will never ever see another cent of my money.

Sadly its not the company’s fault if travel restrictions are in place and prevent customers to travel to the embarkation port. Not even a travel insurance would pay in that case (thats at least the case in Germany, since we still have also travel warnings for most countries outside of the EU in place) 

13 minutes ago, schnapperin said:

Sadly its not the company’s fault if travel restrictions are in place and prevent customers to travel to the embarkation port. Not even a travel insurance would pay in that case (thats at least the case in Germany, since we still have also travel warnings for most countries outside of the EU in place) 

So if that is the case who issues my refund, I will not accept a credit. This company knows full well this cruise cannot go ahead but has refused to cancel it, therefore, in Australia at least, we cannot do a chargeback with our credit card. In your scenario who is responsible?

2 minutes ago, jland said:

So if that is the case who issues my refund, I will not accept a credit. This company knows full well this cruise cannot go ahead but has refused to cancel it, therefore, in Australia at least, we cannot do a chargeback with our credit card. In your scenario who is responsible?

Which cruise are you book at? There is still a possibility that it might not go ahead - at least around Europe there are ongoing talks with ports and countries what kind of cruises they will allowed and if when they will open up.

If the cruise will go ahead and you can‘t reach the embarkation port - which you are responsible for- then it’s legally your fault.

if might be differently if you booked a flight arrangements with Ponant.

I‘m currently in the same shoes - we have a travel warning for Turkey and quarantine restrictions, so because of legal reasons (work related id travel under those conditions even for a private trip) I won‘t be able to go. flight & Hotel booked separate and fully paid- I can‘t ask for a refund or a travel insurance since that case is 100% not covered.

22 hours ago, jonikal said:

Since you haven't heard back from your agent after several weeks, you might consider this suggestion from Seabiscuit68:

On 6/6/2020 at 9:02 AM, Seabiscuit68 said:

Catherine Brin is the Customer Service Manager for US reservations.  She is the individual who originally emailed us  the FCC when the cruise was cancelled.    Nsawhney is CEO and hbellaiche is VP of Sales and Marketing.

cbrin@ponant.com

usreservations@ponant.com

nsawhney@ponant.com

hbellaiche@ponant.com

Thank you for the information.  I've sent out emails so will see if I get a response.

10 hours ago, jland said:

Thank you for the response.  I will check with my travel agent on Monday and see if she has been informed about the change for final payment.  Although I think Ponant should be communicating better, I am still trying to get refunds from MSC for a March cruise so they are top of my list for poor customer service.

3 hours ago, Big Timber said:

Thank you for the response.  I will check with my travel agent on Monday and see if she has been informed about the change for final payment.  Although I think Ponant should be communicating better, I am still trying to get refunds from MSC for a March cruise so they are top of my list for poor customer service.

The information re 30 day final payment is on Ponants website, at least it is in Australia. As for MSC at least they are offering a refund even if you have to wait a long time, Ponant are refusing to refund. Also MSC are not as expensive as Ponant therefore most passengers are not risking $14000 deposit like I am. Ponant are the pits to deal with, even my TA is fed up with them. Their lack of communication is putting her in a very awkward position.

I contacted Catherine Brin, Customer Services Manager for USA reservations and received a quick response.  She said that, although I had a non refundable deposit that she would process a refund for me.  She did acknowledge that the September 9th cruise was cancelled, even though I had not received confirmation of that previously.  Now I shall wait and see if my refund reaches me.