Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

18 hours ago, mr walker said:

On the TV series' showing the goings on on Superyachts there is typically a crew of 10, and a passenger capacity of maybe 8 & the average length of the charters is 3 days, and you are expected to tip at least US$10K 🙂 

Best and biggest i have seen on youtube was Solo. Crewed by 18 staff for 12 guests, it was about 100 metres long. 

3 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Congratulations.  Did you get what you wanted in the end?  

Yes, pretty much.  We were careful with the developers we used and had a sunset clause in the contract which we could invoke if we wished.  Some of the finishing was a bit rushed so we are getting them back to re-lay the flooring which is inconvenient but overall, it has worked out.  There is definitely more of a risk buying off the plans, though.

8 minutes ago, onlyslightlymad said:

Yes, pretty much.  We were careful with the developers we used and had a sunset clause in the contract which we could invoke if we wished.  Some of the finishing was a bit rushed so we are getting them back to re-lay the flooring which is inconvenient but overall, it has worked out.  There is definitely more of a risk buying off the plans, though.

Also I imagine the NZ construction industry is a lot less corrupt than in Australia. There have been some shocking incidences of new apartment buildings with major faults in Sydney. Mostly discovered after owners have moved in and the constuction company no longer exists.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, onlyslightlymad said:

Looks like you were smart having a sunset clause and being careful with your choice of developers.  Glad the developers are coming back to re-lay the flooring.  Delays seem to be a common problem, some worse than others.  Also less than satisfactory finishing, like you found.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Looks like you were smart having a sunset clause and being careful with your choice of developers.  Glad the developers are coming back to re-lay the flooring.  Delays seem to be a common problem, some worse than others.  Also less than satisfactory finishing, like you found.  

I think the construction went so over schedule due to Covid etc, that they were desperate to get it finished and get some money from purchasers.  Consequently, some of it was a little rushed.  They do seem willing to fix up any faults, though.  Just a bit annoying and time consuming.

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Also I imagine the NZ construction industry is a lot less corrupt than in Australia. There have been some shocking incidences of new apartment buildings with major faults in Sydney. Mostly discovered after owners have moved in and the constuction company no longer exists.

My daughter goes to UTS and know a lot of highrise engineers.

Apparently we are only seeing the tip of the iceberg.

Another big issue that we don’t hear about is mould and concrete cancer.

People want a couple of plants on the balcony and the water runoff builds up in the basement and mould growth condemns the building.

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

My daughter goes to UTS and know a lot of highrise engineers.

Apparently we are only seeing the tip of the iceberg.

Another big issue that we don’t hear about is mould and concrete cancer.

People want a couple of plants on the balcony and the water runoff builds up in the basement and mould growth condemns the building.

Yikes! You'd certainly have to know what you were doing if you bought an apartment anywhere in Sydney. 

25 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yikes! You'd certainly have to know what you were doing if you bought an apartment anywhere in Sydney. 

I don’t know if you know the one in Ultimo with all the plants hanging off it but they had to evacuate it a couple of times because of mould.

Mould can be bad news for your health.

2 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

I don’t know if you know the one in Ultimo with all the plants hanging off it but they had to evacuate it a couple of times because of mould.

Mould can be bad news for your health.

I've seen it. They also had serious problems with mosquitos there according to my previous gardener.

14 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

My previous gardener is as hopeless as my current one. At least he has been around all the time due to civid, no overseas cruises for him.

Our gardener has actually got better over the past year & a bit. The yard has never looked better. As you say no overseas cruises, less social activities and mostly working from home, saving and hour + commute each day, have given him a lot more time. Who knows what the place may look like in another year??

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

One of the MSC ships has unloaded 2 passengers who have tested positive during their cruise. 

Had passed the 96 hour prior to boarding tests. 

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/italy-cruise-covid-test-scli-intl/index.html

Oh dear! And the timing couldn't be worse. I hope our governments don't read that, panic, and totally ignore all the successful Covid-free cruises MSC has done.

9 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Scotland has extended its cruise ban a the last minute.

I hope we don’t get the same.

I can't believe there's any possibility of the Australian government lifting the cruise ban. It must just be procedure that it's done in 3 month increments. I think if you get your hopes up every three months, you're just going to be very disappointed for another 6 or 9 months - maybe 12 months?  

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

Scotland has extended its cruise ban a the last minute.

I hope we don’t get the same.

Yes, MSC Virtuosa refused permission to berth in Greenock, for Glasgow etc. Moved ye olde goal posts.

2 hours ago, Docker123 said:

One of the MSC ships has unloaded 2 passengers who have tested positive during their cruise. 

Had passed the 96 hour prior to boarding tests. 

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/italy-cruise-covid-test-scli-intl/index.html

I would guess, but have no proof, that these guests were not vaccinated as only 75% allegedly were vaccinated. To me this just proves the need for 100% vaccination requirement. 

Edited by frantic36

2 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I can't believe there's any possibility of the Australian government lifting the cruise ban. It must just be procedure that it's done in 3 month increments. I think if you get your hopes up every three months, you're just going to be very disappointed for another 6 or 9 months - maybe 12 months?  

There’s no way they will lift the cruise ban before the end of the year.

But possibly a couple of midsize ships for testing,capped at 50% capacity.

1 hour ago, Cruisegroover said:

What cruise was that?

Ovation,27 September.

I’ll email my agent and see why the cruises have been taken down.

Cruise planner is still there but any live website doesn’t show it or other cruises.

I just read on the Singapore Cruise page on FB that the Carnival Splendor and Carnival Spirit have left Singapore OPL after being there many many months bound for Dubai.  Doesn't look good for our summer season.  They had already cancelled their sailings until Sept or Oct.  Will the Princess ships follow?