Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

16 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Well I beg to differ.

The US had a big political handicap and they have 43% fully vaccinated.

https://usafacts.org/visualizations/covid-vaccine-tracker-states/

5FD46B1B-EF44-48EF-97B3-93B8C8DAAA32.thumb.png.c411eebc06c9d6d6d261517595625b36.png

Phillip, they approved the vaccines under emergency procedures whereas we took the standard approval route. Therefore our vaccinations started well after them.

Secondly they are using Pfizer and other vaccines, which they produce in the US, so they don't have to wait until supplies arrive from overseas and the second dose happens a lot quicker for those.

Thirdly they had a massive outbreak which would have prompted sensible Americans to get vaccinated as soon as they could.

It's unfair to compare that situation with ours. 

But sure, our rollout hasn't been as good as it should have been, plus the blood clot issue caused a lot of people to hesitate about getting vaccinated. And our low incidence of cases over the past few months, until the recent Melbourne outbreak, gave people a false sense of security. The numbers appear to be improving now.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Come on Lyle,get off you chest.

I don't have much to add from earlier comments which caused offense for some. I'm not sure the US is a fair comparison, a change in administration was like a light switch there. I don't want to make comparisons but we had many of the same issues as you had with vaccine supply but we took a shotgun approach with vaccines having 4 approved (yes as an emergency approval because we are in an emergency), Me pointing fingers is not helpful. 

I hope you can get the wheels on the inoculation bus soon.

15 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Yes there are many variables        but 1% compared to 43%.

And aren’t these emergency times.

You're comparing apples with oranges.

5.6 million doses have been given in Australia so far. Some of those will be second doses - let's say about 10%, so around 600,000. So around five million have had at least one dose which is 20% of the population. Not ideal, but a long way from the 1% you are quoting which may be factual but gives an incorrect picture of the vaccination status.

There is truth in the old saying " there are lies, damn lies, and statistics" and you're giving a very good example of that. Statistics are only useful when used in the correct context.

Although the pandemic can be seen as a worldwide emergency, here in Australia we are controlling it fairly well (so far) so, no, it's not really an emergency here compared with many other countries.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1

I’m just voicing my opinion and I will stand by it.

The 2 carnival Australia ships have Left to the Middle East and possibly we may loose Ovation to west coast USA permanently.

This virus will be here for a long time .

14 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I don't have much to add from earlier comments which caused offense for some. I'm not sure the US is a fair comparison, a change in administration was like a light switch there. I don't want to make comparisons but we had many of the same issues as you had with vaccine supply but we took a shotgun approach with vaccines having 4 approved (yes as an emergency approval because we are in an emergency), Me pointing fingers is not helpful. 

I hope you can get the wheels on the inoculation bus soon.

And didn't Canada get a big supply of Pfizer from the US which helped your rollout?

We did have early deals with four vaccine manufacturers but one fell by the wayside and another has been slower in development so is not ready for the approval stage yet. I believe a deal has been struck with yet another supplier but delivery of that vaccine won't start until much later this year. 

There are countries much worse off than Australia and they need as much vaccine as they can get. Although it would be great to have Australia fully vaccinated as soon as possible, getting back to whatever new form of normality is going to rely on not only our vaccination rates but also on rates in other countries, and also on what new variants appear that may require vaccine modifications and revaccinations. I think we have a long way to go yet.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1

Let’s pick our rolls on Gilligans Island 

Mic said he is Gilligan

I would like to go for the professor but I don’t think I have the brains,maybe someone could place me.

Uncle Les would have to be the skipper 

Julie and Leigh possibly Maryanne or Ginger????

And Lyle is the big TEXAN surfer that caught the wrong wave .

Edited by Chiliburn

Yes Julie, the new administration for our allies to the south realize it is in their best interest to get their neighbours vaccinated in a timely fashion. They have also released many doses to the vaccine pool for other nations in need. I wonder if your PM asked the current administration if there was excess vaccine for purchase whether there would be a positive response. Like I said we had our problems but looks like we have finally got the show on the road. Someone should set some achievable goals with appropriate rewards, it works. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Let’s pick our rolls on Gilligans Island 

Mic said he is Gilligan

I would like to go for the professor but I don’t think I have the brains,maybe someone could place me.

Uncle Les would have to be the skipper 

Julie and Leigh possibly Maryanne or Ginger????

And Lyle is the big TEXAN surfer that caught the wrong wave .

Sorry Chili, there you go with that Texas thing. Also remember what I do for a living, I could fix the boat 😎.

6 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Sorry Chili, there you go with that Texas thing. Also remember what I do for a living, I could fix the boat 😎.

Yes Lyle, you've touched on one of the greatest mysteries of the 20th century. The professor could build a radio out of a coconut, but he couldn't patch a hole in the boat! 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, mr walker said:

Yes Lyle, you've touched on one of the greatest mysteries of the 20th century. The professor could build a radio out of a coconut, but he couldn't patch a hole in the boat! 🙂 

mr Walker you would be the million and his wife?

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

I like to think of you as a big Texan surfer Lyle,it’s in my dreams.

Edited by Chiliburn

Following the extension of the cruise ship ban, the Cruise Passenger website is reporting the following:

"The Cruise industry will now ask the government’s health advisers to meet with Dr Ian Norton, the founder and managing director of Respond Global and former head of WHO’s Emergency Medical Team Initiative in Geneva from 2014 to 2020, where he led responses to the Ebola, diphtheria and measles outbreaks in various countries." Full article link here.

5 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

Following the extension of the cruise ship ban, the Cruise Passenger website is reporting the following:

"The Cruise industry will now ask the government’s health advisers to meet with Dr Ian Norton, the founder and managing director of Respond Global and former head of WHO’s Emergency Medical Team Initiative in Geneva from 2014 to 2020, where he led responses to the Ebola, diphtheria and measles outbreaks in various countries." Full article link here.

Take them to the high court.

3 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

Damn, that pretty much wipes out the last glimmer of hope. If the government isn't showing any signs of negotiating a cruise restart by now then I doubt meeting with Dr Norton will change their minds. 😭

22 hours ago, Tikibird said:

We are also on that Coral PNG cruise.  Yeah, no way is it happening, people are freaking out over some Melbourne couple who snuck into Qld and turned up positive.   I know, bad move on them but it's more the freaking out that worries me than the bloody Covid.  I wish Princess would just cancel and give us credits.  We are in 20% cancellation fee stage now as of 31 May.  11 Sep is final payment day. This is so stressful! 

I've popped onto CC for this exact concern!  Our 100% refund cancellation date falls before the next govt announcement due on September 17th, so we're wondering whether to just cancel and wait for things to smooth over, or whether to sit tight and roll with the punches (and possibly have an underwhelming trip which includes 14 days of face masks, and only being allowed off the ship if we have booked a Princess shore tour).  The unknowns are making me very nervous!  Princess of course don't have any information because they are waiting on the Govt to make up the rules and they are rightfully saying that the cruise is still booked to go ahead.   Anyone got a crystal ball for me? 🙂

No crystal ball but I predict that Princess will cancel 21/22 season cruises if the government doesn't come to the party reasonably soon. Princess have actually been very fair with their cancellations in the past and I don't see them upsetting their loyal customers by screwing them this time. 

The face mask requirement may not be too onerous anyway, just while moving around the ship and in theatres. Once seated at a bar or dining venue madks can be removed, I don't think they are required outdoors  and definitely not in your cabin.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1