Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

All you youngsters talking about back then in dollars and cents, us real oldies remember the days in pounds, shillings, and pence. Put it this way, I was 4 years old when the first Holden rolled out of the plant.

Edited by Russell21

1 minute ago, Russell21 said:

All you youngsters talking about back then in dollars and cents, us real oldies remember the days in pounds, shillings, and pence. Put it this way, I was 4 years old when the first Holden rolled out of the plant.

Born 44 or 45 then, which century? 🤣  The first Holden came out in 48 or 49 did it not?  

Edited by NSWP

6 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Born 44 or 45 then, which century? 🤣  The first Holden came out in 48 or 49 did it not?  

Vintage '44 model, some say a classic, others disagree strongly. BTW I lived at Narooma for about 15 years, and that was about 42 years ago.

Edited by Russell21

4 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

Vintage '44 model, some say a classic, others disagree strongly. BTW I lived at Narooma for about 15 years, and that was about 42 years ago.

Narooma has grown a bit, they have an Aldi and Woolworths and colour tv and mobile phones now and Batemans Bay is almost a city.  They would have been villages 42 yrs ago.  I am 48 vintage model myself, what was that the FB model.   I had an EJ in 1967.

1 hour ago, Russell21 said:

I was doling out the new money in the Commbank The Entrance and Long Jetty. Hated the jingle.

2 hours ago, Russell21 said:

So were you born in 1904 or 1927?

The company was founded in 1856 as a saddlery manufacturer in South Australia. In 1908, it moved into the automotive field and even built the Ford Model T for a period before later becoming a subsidiary of the United States-based General Motors (GM) in 1931, when the company was renamed General Motors-Holden's Ltd.

24 minutes ago, DiamondFour said:

Does anyone have and new ideas about when it will restart in Australia at least now that the wine is starting to make me all nostalgic for another cruise.

for starters it depends when other countries open there borders, my next cruise is booked for dec brisbane up to cairns and willis island, also xmas 2020 to nz, i don't think we'll know for another 4 or 5 months.

• Like 1

I had been thinking that cruising in Oz would recommence early next year once the virus was controlled here. I thought that we would have some domestic cruises and possibly some to NZ, with only local passengers. After the Queensland announcement today kicking out all the ships, even those based here year round, I am now worried that we will have no cruising here for many years. I thought the NSW decision was an attempt to deflect attention and cover up their mistakes, but never expected Queensland to follow suit. They had a lot to gain with their brand new terminal under construction. I don’t know if the ships will return at all. I am angry and depressed by the whole situation.

2 hours ago, Relaxing Robbies said:

I had been thinking that cruising in Oz would recommence early next year once the virus was controlled here. I thought that we would have some domestic cruises and possibly some to NZ, with only local passengers. After the Queensland announcement today kicking out all the ships, even those based here year round, I am now worried that we will have no cruising here for many years. I thought the NSW decision was an attempt to deflect attention and cover up their mistakes, but never expected Queensland to follow suit. They had a lot to gain with their brand new terminal under construction. I don’t know if the ships will return at all. I am angry and depressed by the whole situation.

The ships will return. They may be more argumentative or demanding in negotiations, but if there's money to be made better than elsewhere they'll come back.

4 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I am expecting the cruising to start by October here, however the itineraries will be limited and there will be some tough restrictions of who can board.

Looking at a online cruise agent that shows booked and available cabins.

They are still plenty of people booked for next season and they are advertising all cruises. 

I think domestic cruises will be a go from October. 

The cruises that go to the islands and NZ may be altered and have a lot of sea days.

When it does start,it’s going to be busy as everyone has cabin fever.

31 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Looking at a online cruise agent that shows booked and available cabins.

They are still plenty of people booked for next season and they are advertising all cruises. 

I think domestic cruises will be a go from October. 

The cruises that go to the islands and NZ may be altered and have a lot of sea days.

When it does start,it’s going to be busy as everyone has cabin fever.

Yes you must move forward with a positive attitude.Those of us that enjoy cruising will be able to 

cruise again when things get sorted.

3 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I think that cruising will rebound fairly quickly. Travel "overseas" whether that is Australians traveling away or others like me travelling to Australia, will depend on when we all open our borders. I'm not really sure why Rod hates cruising so but from the little bit I've been able to glean, it interferes with his hobby so it is evil. Oh well suck it up buttercup, cruising will be back before the New Year.

I hope you are right and that cruising will be back before the New Year, but I doubt it with out government now regularly mentioning that the country will be shut down for "at least six months". 😁  Then it will take some time to get back to normal.

5 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I hope you are right and that cruising will be back before the New Year, but I doubt it with out government now regularly mentioning that the country will be shut down for "at least six months". 😁  Then it will take some time to get back to normal.

Well the optimist in me says 6 months from now is September. Doesn't Australian Cruise season start in November😉 and that is still 2 months Before the new year. And I really don't think I'm being unrealistic.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I'm extremely confident that cruising will be back before New Year... just don't ask me which year (it won't be NY 2020/21).

55 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I don't think flying overseas for a cruise will be an option for quite a long time, given the rate of infections in USA and Europe.

At the moment Africa is being overlooked as an infection source. Many, if not most, countries in Africa don't have the resources to fight a pandemic. It could be that African people will have to ride it out as best they can and, ultimately,  rely on herd immunity whether they like it or not.

In a news report I watched this morning (on Al Jazeera) people are rejecting known infection minimisation action and instead are going for charlatan cure claims that are being promoted on social media. e.g. eating acacia seeds, which have skyrocketed in price , and other oddball remedies. Not to mention preachers, Christian and Muslim, are calling people to pray for a cure en masse in their places of worship.

I do worry for them.

31 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Rod falls into the group I mentioned - he has never cruised and he never will. However, he was vehemently anti-cruise even before COVID, so the current situation has just given him fuel to add to his fire. 🙂

I have struck those people on another forum. And boy are they having a field day. 

• Like 1

The cruising industry is in a state  of utter confusion at the moment. Imagine the chaos in the kitchens that prepare the tens of thousands of meals for everyday consumption .Imagine the chaos in the supply chain. ......( eg ....cancel that order for a thousand tons of prime steaks .....we don’t  need 1 million eggs this month. etc )

Cruises are planned months if not years ahead . 

I have a feeling that any concern for cruising in Australia by the cruise lines will be way down their agenda .

1 hour ago, The_Big_M said:

I haven't seen anything like that on fb sites... but we already know that fb posts content supporting stuff that you seek out, and reinforce your viewpoint. I guess it's understandable that's the content you see there.

He would be in an anti cruise groups on FB

5 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I am expecting the cruising to start by October here, however the itineraries will be limited and there will be some tough restrictions of who can board.

I agree that there needs to be better health vetting of passengers who cruise, especially Princess and maybe Cunard.  On some Princess cruises I have done out of Melbourne the average age has been between 70 and 80.  Some can barely walk or breathe  and are in no condition to fight any virus that may get onboard.  God knows how some of them get insurance if they even bother.  I admire their spirit but from a practical and sensible viewpoint it worries me should something go wrong as has now.  My son at 56 is often one of the youngest on board.  And oh yes I am in the the problem age group but luckily in good health.  P&O Aus and Carnival have a much younger clientele. I never pick up bugs off them but always do when on Princess.

If we don't get some sort of start up by the new year then I think we are in big trouble with cruising and I love cruising and have several  booked for Nov and Dec.  There is a limit as to how long Cruise companies and TAs can exist without any income.  Just hanging in their waiting to see some clarification before I have to decide to make final payments.  Deposits were made 12 months ago!!

53 minutes ago, Pushka said:

I have struck those people on another forum. And boy are they having a field day. 

That's why leadership is about making sensible, rational choices, not just pandering to populism and 'mobocracy'.

2 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

That's why leadership is about making sensible, rational choices, not just pandering to populism and 'mobocracy'.

Pretty pleased with our PM and SA Premiers performance currently. They have likely and unexpectedly saved our family business, at least for the time being.