Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

It may be longer than we think. It would appear a major investigation is warranted into government authorities due to negligence and corruption if the following article is to be believed. The Ovation of the Seas a Royal Caribbean ship was allowed to dock in Sydney the day before Ruby Princess and allowed the passengers to scatter and disperse around the country and world. The ship had confirmed cases of the virus on board after passengers left and were tested.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/coronavirus/how-another-cruise-ship-was-able-to-dock-in-australia-with-sick-passengers-onboard-who-were-then-allowed-to-leave-without-being-checked-for-deadly-coronavirus-in-eerie-similarity-to-the-ruby-princess-debacle/ar-BB12rpOl?li=AAgfLCP&ocid=mailsignout

6 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Personally I don't think anything much will come from the investigation, it is likely to peter out as parts of the government look more and more guilty.

Of course. People are catching on to what happened. It is only a matter of time before all media organisations get onto this depending on left or right bias. People love cruising and millions of Australians love them. When it comes to politics and way of life and what people love they are bound to choose cruising over their favoured political party any day. It doesn't matter what side of the political fence you sit on with this one, it has shut down the entire travel industry, people want their way of life back. They will never let this be forgotten. People already are fighting back for the cruise industry. The investigation will fail that is obvious. We need people power to bring this issue front and centre and force the government to be held responsible for it.

Interesting article and worth registering to read it. Carnival Australia is not actually a company at all and Ms Sherry has disappeared and could never have legally held the title by which she was referred to. 

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/apr/10/ruby-princess-battle-begins-to-hold-someone-accountable-for-cruise-ship-coronavirus-debacle

18 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Hmm, wonder if it is going world wide or just for the US. Our cruise is supposed to leave 19th July from Stockholm

I don't think there is any chance of a European cruise in July going ahead. I am not even confident about our November cruise from Aus to NZ.

1 hour ago, DiamondFour said:

It may be longer than we think. It would appear a major investigation is warranted into government authorities due to negligence and corruption if the following article is to be believed. The Ovation of the Seas a Royal Caribbean ship was allowed to dock in Sydney the day before Ruby Princess and allowed the passengers to scatter and disperse around the country and world. The ship had confirmed cases of the virus on board after passengers left and were tested.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/coronavirus/how-another-cruise-ship-was-able-to-dock-in-australia-with-sick-passengers-onboard-who-were-then-allowed-to-leave-without-being-checked-for-deadly-coronavirus-in-eerie-similarity-to-the-ruby-princess-debacle/ar-BB12rpOl?li=AAgfLCP&ocid=mailsignout

Very interesting. Passengers on Ovation of the Seas weren't required to self-isolate because the ship didn't stop at any overseas ports after the cruise was cut short. However, this is another example of someone taking the virus onto the ship.

1 hour ago, Pushka said:

Interesting article and worth registering to read it. Carnival Australia is not actually a company at all and Ms Sherry has disappeared and could never have legally held the title by which she was referred to. 

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/apr/10/ruby-princess-battle-begins-to-hold-someone-accountable-for-cruise-ship-coronavirus-debacle

What a amazing story!

A company that doesn’t really exist.

like said ,I am very hesitant about paying for some RC cruises in a5-6 months because I may never see the money or the cruise.

Just now, Chiliburn said:

What a amazing story!

like said ,I am very hesitant about paying for some RC cruises in a5-6 months because I may never see the money or the cruise.

Agree. And would have laid buried but for Covid. 

43 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I don't think there is any chance of a European cruise in July going ahead. I am not even confident about our November cruise from Aus to NZ.

Same. Just wish Celebrity would cancel it now. But they won't. It departs Rome. Yeah. As if. Knowing Celebrity and what they did with earlier cruises (switched Singapore to Dubai) they will change the embarkation point to Miami then try say it is in their T&C's that an itinerary can be changed.  

I don't think the Do Not Travel Ban will be lifted by then anyway. 

19 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Hmm, wonder if it is going world wide or just for the US. Our cruise is supposed to leave 19th July from Stockholm

Depends on where your cruise line is headquartered.  Cruise lines based in the USA will apply this to their whole fleet, regardless of their physical location.  Cruise lines based outside the US are not bound by CDC rulings if they're not going to the USA.

Pushka, surprise surprise, I agree with you. I like Celebrity cruises and have a cruise booked in Eclipse for January. But some of the things they have done recently are ridiculous. Because Canadian ports were closed they thought re-routing to Nassau would be okay. Sorry, I may be a little biased but Canada and the Bahamas are not interchangeable Also the Singapore to Dubai thing you mentioned. And I don't think anything will be travelling anywhere in Italy until next cruise season.

I was once cautiously optimistic that the Alaska season would start in July but now it seems in jeopardy. Numbers seem to be getting better here in BC where Vancouver is a home port and Victoria is a convenience stop. I'm not sure what is happening in Seattle.

I can understand to a degree why Celebrity is holding off...one must understand that their call center is totally swamped and adding another couple thousand customers to the queue won't help. 

I would keep an eye on the ship, if they move it towards Europe that could mean they are going to force the hand of paying customers to cancel before they do.

1 hour ago, Pushka said:

Carnival Australia is a business name, owned by Carnival Corporation (USA) and Carnival plc (UK). This is not an unusual way for businesses to be registered in Australia. In my working life I had a registered company, but operated my business through a business name. There is nothing dodgy about it at all.

Ann Sherry was the "Chief Executive Officer" of Carnival Australia, but then she was appointed "Executive Chairman". I don't see a problem with describing her as the 'Chairman'. I have no idea if she still occupies that role.

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

What a amazing story!

Carnival Australia was never a company - it is a Business Name. All legal responsibility falls onto the proprietor of the business name, in this case, jointly onto Carnival plc and Carnival Corporation.

Prior to these recent events, people were not interested in the Corporate structures of the cruise lines. I can't see how it matters. Any lawsuit would be against the owner of the cruise-line, ultimately Carnival plc jointly with Carnival Corporation.

An example of how this works: if you want to sue someone who did work for you and they operated through a business name, the proprietor is personally liable. You can claim damages from his/her personal assets. However, if the business name is owned by a corporation (often called a company), then your claim is limited to the value of the company's assets. This is one reason people often incorporate a company that owns the business name they operate their business through.

Edited by Aus Traveller

42 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I was once cautiously optimistic that the Alaska season would start in July but now it seems in jeopardy. Numbers seem to be getting better here in BC where Vancouver is a home port and Victoria is a convenience stop. I'm not sure what is happening in Seattle.

I cannot see any Alaskan cruises going ahead this year. I hope they will next year.

37 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Pushka, surprise surprise, I agree with you. I like Celebrity cruises and have a cruise booked in Eclipse for January. But some of the things they have done recently are ridiculous. Because Canadian ports were closed they thought re-routing to Nassau would be okay. Sorry, I may be a little biased but Canada and the Bahamas are not interchangeable Also the Singapore to Dubai thing you mentioned. And I don't think anything will be travelling anywhere in Italy until next cruise season.

I can understand to a degree why Celebrity is holding off...one must understand that their call center is totally swamped and adding another couple thousand customers to the queue won't help. 

I would keep an eye on the ship, if they move it towards Europe that could mean they are going to force the hand of paying customers to cancel before they do.

Their credibility is certainly in question Lyle.

I don’t know about Canadians but Ozzie’s get confused with cruise lines advertising practices. The way they advertise 50% sale but there’s no different in the usual price 

6 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Their credibility is certainly in question Lyle.

I don’t know about Canadians but Ozzie’s get confused with cruise lines advertising practices. The way they advertise 50% sale but there’s no different in the usual price 

We have different rates and promotions here, there is a Celebrity Canadian site which is different than the US site.

Lynn just got a sales email from Celebrity today some advertised sailings are in May of this year (a little out of date)

Also they are showing the Transpacific in Millennium out of Vancouver in September. 

They really seem to have their finger on the pulse of this situation...NOT

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

We have different rates and promotions here, there is a Celebrity Canadian site which is different than the US site.

Lynn just got a sales email from Celebrity today some advertised sailings are in May of this year (a little out of date)

Also they are showing the Transpacific in Millennium out of Vancouver in September. 

They really seem to have their finger on the pulse of this situation...NOT

The way I work out your friends across the boarder with their shopping practices is.

They are like sharks and will bight anything. Throw some blood in the water in the form of a sale or reduced and they go into a feeding frenzy.

Edited by Chiliburn
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Agreed, but it hasn't been cancelled as yet.

Just got the word today from our TA that the entire trip in July (Fly, tour, stay, cruise) is cancelled including the cruise, we await to hear further details.

4 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Sweden has not implemented social distancing. They could be in for a rough time IMO. Something to watch during the coming weeks.

2 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Just got the word today from our TA that the entire trip in July (Fly, tour, stay, cruise) is cancelled including the cruise, we await to hear further details.

Good that they confirmed the inevitable, what a drag your plans are shot. I know I'm sitting here hoping our trip in January of next year, which would be 19 months of planning can proceed. I have to admit that so many people on here seem to have 4 or 5 cruises planned over the next year and I'm quite jealous. That being said I'm thankful to not have to be churning over cancelled plans. The fact that what will be our first proper vacation in 18 months may not proceed is getting me down.

11 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

So mic do you get some or all of your money back.

45 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Good that they confirmed the inevitable, what a drag your plans are shot. I know I'm sitting here hoping our trip in January of next year, which would be 19 months of planning can proceed. I have to admit that so many people on here seem to have 4 or 5 cruises planned over the next year and I'm quite jealous. That being said I'm thankful to not have to be churning over cancelled plans. The fact that what will be our first proper vacation in 18 months may not proceed is getting me down.

I was looking forward to my third Alaskan cruise/tour this June. It was one that I postponed last year. Earlier this year I discovered that my late wife had a first cousin born in Medicine  Hat in 1927. This was from a DNA match. I was planning to meet up with her descendants while in Calgary. I also have some cousins in Vancouver as my uncle lived in Victoria until he passed away. I was going to try and meet up with them. Maybe next year.

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

Sweden has not implemented social distancing. They could be in for a rough time IMO. Something to watch during the coming weeks.

they have already to stripped us in the las week,  when for several weeks we were worse than they were.

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

So mic do you get some or all of your money back.

Of course, I am hoping for all of it as a refund, however I fear I will be vouchers or FCC and such, and maybe even some loss of money, time will tell.

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Who is that with? I have four weeks until payment for Edge July cruise from Rome. They will want my money first before they cancel. Not going to happen. Both cases. 

Edited by Pushka