Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

With Vanuatu not having any cases of COVID-19, I cannot see them allowing cruise ships into their country from an infected country. I cannot see Australia being free of the virus by the end of the year. Controlled, but not free of COVID-19.

"The Pacific nation of Vanuatu is one of the few places that is coronavirus-free". Source: The Guardian

2 hours ago, Pushka said:

Indeed. I read your earlier comment about ignoring but seeing those posts when others requoted so I took note of that, but it does make things look a bit out of context. 

Basically a statement that staying in a Penthouse on Diamond during that quarantine was perfectly acceptable and that it could be repeated and they still wouldn't catch Covid. 

I didn't really want to do this as it gives away too much information but as you can see from the attachment they give you stationary in a suite along with a fancy pen. The stationary has the name of the ship and your name printed on it.

If you read my very first introduction post then you will see what I did to survive on the ship for two weeks and that involved not leaving the suite under any circumstances. 

The ship is not highly contagious and the virus will not spread through air conditioning. It is only a matter of good fortune that I did not get sick during the cruise.

You can definitely board a cruise ship and do quarantine in a cabin and not get the virus from china. All you have to do is follow precautions and you are safe.

The media and journalists are not highly educated people. They are not the sharpest tools in the toolbox. Any suggestion that a cruise ship is a bad idea for quarantine is false. Remember 3,000 people on the Diamond Princess did NOT get the virus. That is remarkable considering the deep disinfecting it needed. It is the same with Ruby Princess. Over 3,000 people did not get the virus. That means you can only catch it by being in the immediate vicinity of people who do have it.

I should also point out at this stage that I do not use buffet restaurants.

IMG_0323.JPEG

3 minutes ago, DiamondFour said:

IMG_0323.JPEG

I didn't want to repost it all as it's getting rather long. But while you can do everything within your power to prevent getting the virus whilst in isolation, but - if that person you just rode the lift with, stood next to the bar with, sat next to the theatre in, or that crew member who handed you your drink, cleaned out your cabin, handed you your dinner, had Covid, prior to isolation, then you are at risk of catching it. 

Do you really think all those medical people who have caught Covid, and many of whom have sadly died, and who wore full protective gear, were careless?

• Like 1

On 4/11/2020 at 7:58 PM, MicCanberra said:

They will price high and then lower them until the ship is full.

Isn't that what they used to do except they would only lower them if it looked like the ship was not filling up? I reckon they'll want as many "bums on seats" as quick as possible, there'll be a lot of competition to regain loyalty - and trust.

1 minute ago, Pushka said:

I didn't want to repost it all as it's getting rather long. But while you can do everything within your power to prevent getting the virus whilst in isolation, but - if that person you just rode the lift with, stood next to the bar with, sat next to the theatre in, or that crew member who handed you your drink, cleaned out your cabin, handed you your dinner, had Covid, prior to isolation, then you are at risk of catching it. 

Do you really think all those medical people who have caught Covid, and many of whom have sadly died, and who wore full protective gear, were careless?

Its just the luck of the draw. If you come across people who are infected then you have a chance of getting infected. For me not to have been infected would mean that all the places I went on the ship were not visited by an infected person. A ship is very large. Perhaps the bars I used or the separate dining area for suite passengers secluded me from a greater number of passengers.

Japan proved that they could contain the virus on the ship, keep 3,000 passengers safe and prevent their population and the rest of the world getting a mass exodus of 700 infected people flying worldwide and traveling through their cities. By doing that Japan saved all of us from getting this earlier. Ultimately the chinese government lied to all of us and the fools at the WHO sat on their hands for too long not wanting to offend china. That is sad and as a result of it over 100,000 people around the world are dead because of it. So far the 2,000 odd people on all cruise ships that caught this virus represent 0.1% of the 1,852,629 people who have caught it on land. With those numbers a cruise ship looks fairly safe to me.

7 minutes ago, Pushka said:

I read much of the article until it became obvious that the writer was clearly biased against the cruise industry. I was under the impression that the investigation into the Ruby Princess was to ascertain what happened as opposed to investigating the cruise operator. I would think that any investigation should seek the truth without bias that includes any proper investigative reporting.

The issue of "flags of convenience" has been around for some time and is not likely to change any time soon. Would the working conditions, crew numbers and safety be better? Probably not. The pay would be more and the prices we pay would be doubled.

I hope that the investigation is fair and unbiased; if the ship mislead the port authority then throw the whole library at them if the port authority was negligent then throw the library at them. If as I suspect there is responsibility on both sides well there needs to be consequences. I wish that reporters knew how to report news without injecting personal bias.

Pushka please don't take this as a shot at you, my comments are my take on the article you linked

6 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Isn't that what they used to do except they would only lower them if it looked like the ship was not filling up? I reckon they'll want as many "bums on seats" as quick as possible, there'll be a lot of competition to regain loyalty - and trust.

Yes, it is standard practice. The price lowering will likely kick in earlier once the go ahead is given to be able to sail again.

16 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I read much of the article until it became obvious that the writer was clearly biased against the cruise industry. I was under the impression that the investigation into the Ruby Princess was to ascertain what happened as opposed to investigating the cruise operator. I would think that any investigation should seek the truth without bias that includes any proper investigative reporting.

The issue of "flags of convenience" has been around for some time and is not likely to change any time soon. Would the working conditions, crew numbers and safety be better? Probably not. The pay would be more and the prices we pay would be doubled.

I hope that the investigation is fair and unbiased; if the ship mislead the port authority then throw the whole library at them if the port authority was negligent then throw the library at them. If as I suspect there is responsibility on both sides well there needs to be consequences. I wish that reporters knew how to report news without injecting personal bias.

Pushka please don't take this as a shot at you, my comments are my take on the article you linked

Nah, it's cool. It's written by the abc who don't exactly like private corporations so much. Profit is dirty to them. However they can be quite influential. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Nah, it's cool. It's written by the abc who don't exactly like private corporations so much. Profit is dirty to them. However they can be quite influential. 

It was not written by the ABC. 

They have reprinted an article from The Conversation — a publication designed for mostly academics to write in a more news style. Supposed to retain their academic rigour in reporting and analysis.

The author is a lecturer in tourism.

Sad another 2 deaths today in NSW & they where both linked to the Ruby Princess. 

But concerning the main question.. I think there WILL not be any international cruises this year. There Will be local only ones from Sept/Oct on-wards.  If restrictions get lifted here in Australia, I don't think they will allow any overseas travel until the rest of the World controls it also. They won't want it coming back...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

It was not written by the ABC. 

They have reprinted an article from The Conversation — a publication designed for mostly academics to write in a more news style. Supposed to retain their academic rigour in reporting and analysis.

The author is a lecturer in tourism.

Sure. And did they fulfil the Academic rigour in that article?

5 minutes ago, Hunter69 said:

Sad another 2 deaths today in NSW & they where both linked to the Ruby Princess. 

But concerning the main question.. I think there WILL not be any international cruises this year. There Will be local only ones from Sept/Oct on-wards.  If restrictions get lifted here in Australia, I don't think they will allow any overseas travel until the rest of the World controls it also. They won't want it coming back...

I can't see SA, WA and Tas releasing their borders yet for a while. 

4 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Princess cancelled cruises on 12th March, the day after WHO declared coronavirus a pandemic. At that time only a few ports in the Pacific were closed.

WHO did declare COVID19 a PHEIC end of January. I feel like that should have been a sign to countries and corporations that it was time to place restrictions on movements. On top of that it was enough to nullify people's travel insurance so anyone taking a cruise after that declaration wasn't covered for COVID19 related issues. It seems a bit irresponsible to keep running tours and cruises when people can't get covered for it. 

End all FOC ships

End all trade with china  and ensure essential items are made here

We dont need any new cars for 10 years the ones we have now are fine

stop buying cheap / fake goods from china

we dont sell our gas or foodstuffs for next to nothing , metals included

get the idea the restrictions last for 10 years after that we are self sufficient and can then look at a small amount of imported goods

if we dont do this  well just learn mandarin  .....

2 hours ago, Pushka said:

Ouch. 

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-13/coronavirus-spells-the-end-of-the-line-for-cruise-ships/12141140

I would not book any cruise right now. I'm thinking cynically it's a way to lock up some funding. 

The article is harsh for sure but it is not entirely wrong. What has worked for cruise lines during the good times is now becoming a hazard in these bad times. It is a convenient excuse for countries to not support the industry and kick out ships. There will be a need to change things and maybe that means costs going up, maybe there will be more of a focus on luxury rather than mass market. If the industry is going to survive it has to have a rethink on how they do business and perhaps put aside some of their more aggressive tactics and work on repairing their relationships with destinations. 

4 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

The article is harsh for sure but it is not entirely wrong. What has worked for cruise lines during the good times is now becoming a hazard in these bad times. It is a convenient excuse for countries to not support the industry and kick out ships. There will be a need to change things and maybe that means costs going up, maybe there will be more of a focus on luxury rather than mass market. If the industry is going to survive it has to have a rethink on how they do business and perhaps put aside some of their more aggressive tactics and work on repairing their relationships with destinations. 

So now tipping is a thing of the past and all crews are paid proper wages ???

Edited by VK3DQ

2 minutes ago, VK3DQ said:

stop buying cheap / fake goods from china

I have noticed most of that stuff seems to come from Bangladesh or Pakistan these days. The major problem would be technology and I think we have come to a point where we need technology. All the components are made in different countries and the fact is some of the expertise and equipment is in China. It will take a long time before it is transitioned to another country. 

Metals ..we no longer sell iron ore ... we will perhaps sell you some steel ... and forget about gas we no longer sell gas thats the sort of action we need to take to survive as a nation

2 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I have noticed most of that stuff seems to come from Bangladesh or Pakistan these days. The major problem would be technology and I think we have come to a point where we need technology. All the components are made in different countries and the fact is some of the expertise and equipment is in China. It will take a long time before it is transitioned to another country. 

WE used to make our on TV sets in Australia

2 minutes ago, VK3DQ said:

So now tipping is a thing of the past and all crews are paid proper wages ???

If that is what needs to be done. The article is not wrong that cruise lines before the pandemic had contentious relationships with their destinations and this pandemic has given the anti cruise line campaigners the upper hand. It has shown how quickly governments will kick cruise lines to the curb when things are going bad so I do think cruise lines need to make themselves more likeable and that can be achieved by showing some sense of social responsibility. 

2 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

If that is what needs to be done. The article is not wrong that cruise lines before the pandemic had contentious relationships with their destinations and this pandemic has given the anti cruise line campaigners the upper hand. It has shown how quickly governments will kick cruise lines to the curb when things are going bad so I do think cruise lines need to make themselves more likeable and that can be achieved by showing some sense of social responsibility. 

Like employing crew from the areas were they operate in for example???