Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

3 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

We don’t have those tow along cars here Lyle. I’ve seen a couple but they are rare. I don’t know why?

Yes we do, friends of ours tow a Suzuki behind their motorhome. The front wheels are locked straight, a towing frame connects underneath the front and it is towed like a 4 wheel pig trailer. Pig trailer as opposed to a dog trailer, truck drivers will know the difference.

Edited by Russell21

47 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

Yes we do, friends of ours tow a Suzuki behind their motorhome. The front wheels are locked straight, a towing frame connects underneath the front and it is towed like a 4 wheel pig trailer. Pig trailer as opposed to a dog trailer, truck drivers will know the difference.

Their could a pig because they are a pig to tow.

54 minutes ago, Sallyandtex said:

That's the best way and cost effective. Went to Tassie in October last year. Own car 4 weeks wonderful! Staying in B and Bs and cabins and houses. To hire a camper soooo expensive and then park fees and extra fuel...plus limits on where you can go

We did cheap trip to tassie a few years ago with Jetstar for a few nights.$89 each to Launceston.

After adding up airport parking at Sydney,car hire,accommodation and eating out .
It wasn’t a cheap holiday.

Man tassie is expensive.

5 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

About 30 years ago my uncle's brother was converting a highway coach into a motor home. My brother and I spent about 3 months custom building the interior using something like 500 board feet if solid oak including the dashboard and instrument panel. He used it for many years but was forced sell it when he had a stroke. This was a 30 foot motor coach with a large bedroom with a queen sized bed at the back, I full bathroom, laundry and the kitchen had a proper stove. He also had a generator on board so could be self contained. He towed a compact car behind.

Can’t remember the name but on TV On one of the lifestyle shows from US there was a  

mobile home that had a garage built in with a small car ,just the job if you want to drive that kind of thing but not for me, I will camp out but only in motels.

Cheers Carole

43 minutes ago, Elorac123 said:

Can’t remember the name but on TV On one of the lifestyle shows from US there was a  

mobile home that had a garage built in with a small car ,just the job if you want to drive that kind of thing but not for me, I will camp out but only in motels.

Cheers Carole

Several years ago we saw a motorhome like that in Australia. It was quite ingenious. The car drove up a ramp into a room at the back of the motorhome that was actually the bedroom. When they camped for a period of time, the car would be driven out and the bed lowered from the ceiling. If they were just stopping overnight, they slept in beds made out of the seating in the main room of the motorhome.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sallyandtex said:

That's the best way and cost effective. Went to Tassie in October last year. Own car 4 weeks wonderful! Staying in B and Bs and cabins and houses. To hire a camper soooo expensive and then park fees and extra fuel...plus limits on where you can go

Exactly how we did it many years ago, now we just fly down and hire a car.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Russell21 said:

My dream.

dream.jpg

That's the poor man set-up. The rich man would have a helicopter on the roof of the RV - just in case he needs a quick dash back to the office.😁

• Haha 1

On 7/25/2020 at 7:35 AM, By The Bay said:

What are the chances of Cruise lines following this initiative? I would be more likely to cruise if this was in place.

"Emirates will offer free coverage for COVID-19-related expenses for passengers, including medical and quarantine expenses, in what the airline is touting as a world first.

The Middle-East carrier will offer coverage for medical expenses of approximately $245,000 and quarantine costs of approximately $160 per day for 14 days for any passenger that is diagnosed with COVID-19 during their travel, while they are away from home." Source

It's really a bit of a joke. This is honestly one of the worst "insurance" policies I've ever seen.

There are so many exclusions and conditions, nobody here would be able to claim. From the 31 day duration, the need to get approval before incurring the expense, the exclusion of coverage if government restrictions exist (which excludes all Australians atm - and remember it only goes til oct 31, not a permanent thing), the exclusion of quarantine costs for returning residents. The need to book Emirates only, not code share or through a partner. And even the replacement of e.g. a business class return ticket with an economy one if you manage to get through all the hurdles.

Further to that, it's an easy thing for the airline to offer- since they now require you to pay and present negative test results before your flight in any case, so if you flew you're already cleared meaning there's very little chance of transmission, or risk of any other expense. There's nothing to cover on your flight over - and you don't get any coverage once you return. Great scheme!

Really , another one of these marketing gimmicks than anything of actual value of substance. 

So yes, I'm sure it's something the cruiselines can emulate, as something they also often do!

There’s some tempting prices being offered by cruiselines at the moment but I'm not convinced that the cruises will actually take place. 

I can't see Australian cruising recommencing before the end of the year and I reckon even 2021 looks doubtful. Maybe we'll have to wait until 2022 to sail again! 😱

11 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

I can't see Australian cruising recommencing before the end of the year and I reckon even 2021 looks doubtful. Maybe we'll have to wait until 2022 to sail again! 😱

Sad but it could be true. 😷😒

• Like 1

'Europe announces safe cruising return"   - see cruiseweekly.com.au last edition of 29 July for the proposed requirements - masks if no social distance possible as well, it seems. Brief quotes:

"THE European Maritime Safety Agency and European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control have issued joint guidance on the gradual and safe resumption of cruise ship operations in the European Union".

"The document outlines minimum measures expected to be implemented across the cruise industry, and applies to all ships calling at European Union and/or European Economic Area ports"

OK, perhaps not unexpectedly, we have just received advice that our Oct 5 2020 cruise (Cruisin' Country Charter) on RC Serenade OTS is cancelled.

Options are a refund (less possibly a TA charge), transfer to a 7N music charter on Ovation OTS in Nov 2021 (similar itinerary) or a credit good for any of their music charter cruises thru 2022.

We are thinking we will take the refund, as we are stocking up on credits and lift & shifts, without really knowing when we will be able to cruise again.

Who would ever have dreamed what 2020 was going to be like???

25 minutes ago, mr walker said:

OK, perhaps not unexpectedly, we have just received advice that our Oct 5 2020 cruise (Cruisin' Country Charter) on RC Serenade OTS is cancelled.

Options are a refund (less possibly a TA charge), transfer to a 7N music charter on Ovation OTS in Nov 2021 (similar itinerary) or a credit good for any of their music charter cruises thru 2022.

We are thinking we will take the refund, as we are stocking up on credits and lift & shifts, without really knowing when we will be able to cruise again.

It’s a different world from about Christmas time.

The cruise and country on Ovation would be good mr Walker.

The big ships have their good points, you just have to learn how to avoid the crowds.

51 minutes ago, mr walker said:

Take the money when and while you can. Having multiple credits doesn't help if there are no cruises to use them on.

4 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

So over in the Celebrity Cruises section there is a neat thread from a cruiser who is on a short cruise to nowhere out of Germany. It has lots of views and it's just nice to read about a cruise that is actually happening.

It didn't sound as bad as I expected it to be. 

My only concern would be the masks. Not so much wearing them but were they supplied in sufficient quantity to use a fresh mask every time you had to put one on, and what did you do with them when you took them off in a bar or restaurant.

11 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Take the money when and while you can. Having multiple credits doesn't help if there are no cruises to use them on.

Ah ,money is going to be useless in a couple of years the way the world economy is going.We will be back to trading beads and trinkets.

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

Ah ,money is going to be useless in a couple of years the way the world economy is going.We will be back to trading beads and trinkets.

Í have a silver solid plastic mini yoyo that came in a christmas cracker, will that get me a drinks package?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Í have a silver solid plastic mini yoyo that came in a christmas cracker, will that get me a drinks package?

You could use it as one of those Princess Medallions, get you anything on board.

10 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Well I’ve been stealing everything from Royal Caribbean that wasn’t bolted down for years.Years and years.

We would walk on with 5 empty bags and have to ask the concierge for a porter to get off.

My favourite is ice buckets ,must have 20 at least .

Blankets,towels ,knifes,folks,spoons, you name it.

Maybe we can trade them back for a onboard credit???

• Thanks 1