Is Celebrity missing a trick?

isdoo

With all these cancelled cruises a lot of people have the option of a refund or a credit at 125%

In reality the credit is a bit limited, with prices higher the 25% is not really a bonus. 

Cash allows you to rebook with another line if you want. Cash is always king. 

Therefore why is Celebrity not offering big incentives to rebook and use the voucher. 

Here in the UK, there is a small offer for lower cabins of $300 obc, but no offers for suites. They only get $150 obc 

Celebrity like any other company would rather keep hold of your money. So why not offer a big incentive now to book. 

I am sure that they will in 2 or 3 months, but by then people might've gone elsewhere. 

Just seems like Celebrity have put marketing on hold. 

• Like 1

Methinks the entire cruise industry in on hold, for now. They’ll figure out what they need to do, adjust course as needed and plan for better days. 

The system shock is too soon to act. They need to digest it all and plan for the short, mid and long term of the line, corporation and their guests. 

Patience has its rewards. Be humble and wait this out some. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, isdoo said:

With all these cancelled cruises a lot of people have the option of a refund or a credit at 125%

In reality the credit is a bit limited, with prices higher the 25% is not really a bonus. 

Therefore why is Celebrity not offering big incentives to rebook and use the voucher. 

Here in the UK, there is a small offer for lower cabins of $300 obc, but no offers for suites. They only get $150 obc 

Celebrity like any other company would rather keep hold of your money. So why not offer a big incentive now to book. 

I am sure that they will in 2 or 3 months, but by then people might've gone elsewhere. 

I Am sure marketing, for the most part, is on hold as they deal with more important issues at hand.

Saying this to also note that I Am sure that there are some individuals working on some type of marketing for after the situation is greatly abated.

Would not be my major forte, considering.

bon voyage

• Like 4

Agree that Celebrity will get back into the marketing saddle very soon.  I think we will see higher prices but am hoping some nice perks will also be offered.  I can't imagine that having cash in hand, which is always nice, will translate to better deals on other lines.  I think all lines (those that survive, that is) will have to resort to higher fares initially in an attempt to recoup losses.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As the OP points out, Cash is Always King.  We need to realize that cruise lines like Celebrity as most businesses  run on quarterly cash flows.  They are trying to preserve as much cash as possible - not to be greedy as some here truly believe- but to just pay their employees and the bills.  Ships that are anchored still cost a lot of cash every day with no real end in site.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, isdoo said:

Until the situation improves marketing cruises is pointless.  Will this worldwide shutdown last 3 month's? 6 months? Or ?  

My DW is in the high risk group. My main concern is that she does not get this virus. Also concern for my family and grandkids. 3 of them in college with classes suspended.  My retirement $$ have taken a huge hit. 

Probably the only things X should do differently is extending the date for FCC bookings to 31 Dec 2022 and allow bookings across brands.

Yes, people taking multiple cruises a year will book some 2021 or 2022 cruises but only with refundable deposits in the US and they are little more than placeholders for cruises we might take.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CA_Cruzing said:

Methinks the entire cruise industry in on hold, for now. They’ll figure out what they need to do, adjust course as needed and plan for better days. 

The system shock is too soon to act. They need to digest it all and plan for the short, mid and long term of the line, corporation and their guests. 

Patience has its rewards. Be humble and wait this out some. 

Your comment is one of the BEST I have seen on any forum.

I looked forward to the recovery and all the good offers.

All the captains of all the ships for all the lines have to handle the crew and stay with the ship for a while. I hear they are trying to sail to and from their own islands to let crew off for some fun.

Meanwhile I will watch my DVDs of Love Boat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Agree that Celebrity will get back into the marketing saddle very soon.  I think we will see higher prices but am hoping some nice perks will also be offered.  I can't imagine that having cash in hand, which is always nice, will translate to better deals on other lines.  I think all lines (those that survive, that is) will have to resort to higher fares initially in an attempt to recoup losses.

I wish I could exchange my present cruise with it's perks for the same cruise next year. I got a really great deal. The present prices are high.

Initially, I thought I'd take the 125% FCC, which has to be used by the end of 2021. It seemed like a no-brainer since we look forward to cruising again.  If the majority take FCC, though, Celebrity could jack up the prices (even more) to recoup the extra 25% that they offered. Our cruise is in May, so I have some time to think about it.

• Like 1

They say that man plans and God laughs..but I have a plan.  We currently  3 cruses booked in 2020.  May 18 to Iceland and Ireland is paid but ware not going. We know it but we have not yet officially canceled it,  Celebirty has offered use the option of waiting until 48 hours prior to cancel for full FCC so we are waiting it ouit now to see if it is canceled by them or by us. Why not go for the extra FCC?  We have Alaska booked for July 3 from Vancouver.  Not likely to happen because of the Canadian port closure until at least June 30. It is just not worth the risk to me and since it is before final payment by a few weeks it will be cancelled or rolled over to 2021 once I hear back from our TA.  Finally Best of Italy in Oct. 2020 . We will have to wait and see on that one. If Italy is still closed by final payment we cancel the trip, if is open and it looks safe then we use the FCC from May to pay for October.......if we don't do October we do have the Panama  Canal  booked in 2021 and the FCC will go to that.. so if you understand this please tell me, Who is on First?   Yes it is that confusing and the game changes every 10 minutes or so.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Your comment is one of the BEST I have seen on any forum.

I looked forward to the recovery and all the good offers.

All the captains of all the ships for all the lines have to handle the crew and stay with the ship for a while. I hear they are trying to sail to and from their own islands to let crew off for some fun.

Meanwhile I will watch my DVDs of Love Boat.

As I digest all that's happening in the cruise industry, I think it's reasonable that going forward, health and guest safety checks will be common once the industry relaunches in 30-60 days. As in, guest temperature checks will become common, oximetry tests possibly added to this or on a secondary screening; travel history will be standard with a 2-4 week lookback period for all sailings; new sanitizing standards for onboard and embark/debark terminals; more pervasive on-board hand sanitizing stations/messaging; more frequent buffet utensils changing. 

All of this not in a germ-a-phobe way, but a move to more clean public spaces and public health safety. I also think airlines and any any public transit mode will experience these and other changes too.

So we'll move forward with new standards for all to meet or surpass.

And the cruise industry will have to re-attract guests that are less hard-corp than many here on CC. Maybe this whole event takes the industry back 2-3 years in total guests/sailings. With aggressive pricing and incentives, the industry's health will rebound in 24-36 months to what was the new high. Maybe even 36-48 months.

Cruising is still the best value based vacation. It's pretty hard to beat the unpack once and visit many stops that cruising affords. And the consumer has shown an affinity for this style of vacationing.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, hladygirl said:

Anyone that is booking a cruise now for future travel could take the risk of the cruiseline filing for bankruptcy and no money to customers being refunded. I am not willing to take that risk personally.

Agree. Also need to consider airline bankruptcy.

Which is why I am desperately trying to avoid FCC, vouchers from airlines for future travel, etc. Holding on to the final few days before travel hoping for cancellation or government guidance that would trigger refunds. The FCC/vouchers are at least a last resort!

• Like 1

An even swap would of had me rebooking instead of taking the $ refund. I really was looking forward to our sailing on the Edge and put a great deal of research and planning into it. If I could of just transferred my booking and the perks that we managed during a sale... i would of. But the prices are inflated currently and I think that has put me off. We will take the cash and probably just go on an easy island vacation - unless Celebrity can entice us back. Fingers crossed!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, LSKC said:

An even swap would of had me rebooking instead of taking the $ refund. I really was looking forward to our sailing on the Edge and put a great deal of research and planning into it. If I could of just transferred my booking and the perks that we managed during a sale... i would of. But the prices are inflated currently and I think that has put me off. We will take the cash and probably just go on an easy island vacation - unless Celebrity can entice us back. Fingers crossed!

Current pricing now shown was set in late 2018 for the 2020/2021 seasons. Pricing factored a growing economy and stronger demand. Neither exist now. 

Pricing will have to change. See this WSJ article:

”Executives have basically written off this year with cancellations running up to 50% for the busy Mediterranean summer and bookings for next year, down even more.

“Italy is shut off and Greece just said [Sunday] that it won’t accept cruise ships,” said an executive from a major European liner. “The year will be really bad, but the worrying thing is that a vaccine is 18 months away.”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/coronavirus-hits-more-cruise-ships-leaving-vessels-stuck-at-sea-11584373335