Picture-A-Week 2020 - Week 12

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, March 16 and Sunday, March 22.

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

Waiting patiently as the earth turns and Monday finally makes it to California...

taken Monday morning in Oz. Erickson Air Crane flying over Williamstown. This is one of the water bombing aircraft that was so important in the recent devastating bushfire season we had.

F3629B06-5410-4256-B1E7-24298002BDE4.thumb.jpeg.46d48a12fe9cd556086959099a2e2f38.jpeg

E2300C5A-7133-4B9E-B5D0-F2AF5C74067D.thumb.jpeg.35c2d5565853197520de96428836ebe0.jpeg

• Like 1

In the interest of getting out of the house while still social distancing, I got out with my camera for the first time in quite a while. This is a black and white photo of the Raritan River Railroad Freight Station, Milltown, New Jersey. 

raritan river railroad_.jpg

• Like 2

Since we are currently "sheltered in place" we have been cleaning the house and other items with our spare time.  It had been awhile since I cleaned my favorite gun so Saturday I dusted it off and lubricated it.  It's a nickel finished 380 caliber FN Browning 1910/55 and quite beautiful.

IMG_4685_1.thumb.jpg.cd14771b7c5b1d9af18c479e4edcea7d.jpg

• Like 1

Did you know that you can survive an isolation order by hoarding English Muffins? I was unaware of this. Someone was because there wasn't a single one to be found in three stores. What do you do when life hands you a lemon? You make lemonade! How about when it hands you a global pandemic that leads to a shortage of your favorite breakfast staple? You make it yourself! This was a very educational week, English Muffin-wise. We had no idea that they weren’t baked but fried on a griddle. We also found that the person who wrote the first recipe we tried was either unaware of high-gluten bread flour or was one of the many that avoid it for no good reason. Next batch will taste just as good but will also be properly chewy.

Survival Rations

p3867412845-5.jpg

Dave

• Like 3

8 hours ago, pierces said:

Did you know that you can survive an isolation order by hoarding English Muffins? I was unaware of this. Someone was because there wasn't a single one to be found in three stores. What do you do when life hands you a lemon? You make lemonade! How about when it hands you a global pandemic that leads to a shortage of your favorite breakfast staple? You make it yourself! This was a very educational week, English Muffin-wise. We had no idea that they weren’t baked but fried on a griddle. We also found that the person who wrote the first recipe we tried was either unaware of high-gluten bread flour or was one of the many that avoid it for no good reason. Next batch will taste just as good but will also be properly chewy.

Survival Rations

p3867412845-5.jpg

Dave

No yeast to be found around here. I've been looking in several stores for 2 weeks!

12 hours ago, cruises42 said:

No yeast to be found around here. I've been looking in several stores for 2 weeks!

Our local Smart & Final store, which is a combination grocery store/restaurant supply was out of packets but had a 2 lb block of yeast for $7. We have yeast. Boy, do we have yeast. We are also fortunate that we got into the habit of buying bulk when we lived in a fairly remote area in Georgia for a while and still have about 10 lbs of regular flour and 40 lbs or so of bread flour in airtight gamma storage containers. Even though we are back to a few blocks from stores, the idea of buying 50 lbs of flour for about 25¢/lb still seemed like a good idea since we already had the containers. Who knew it would come in so handy. How sad that it did.

Dave

• Like 1

On 3/23/2020 at 3:52 AM, Oakman58 said:

Since we are currently "sheltered in place" we have been cleaning the house and other items with our spare time.  It had been awhile since I cleaned my favorite gun so Saturday I dusted it off and lubricated it.  It's a nickel finished 380 caliber FN Browning 1910/55 and quite beautiful.

IMG_4685_1.thumb.jpg.cd14771b7c5b1d9af18c479e4edcea7d.jpg

I know it is a white balance thing, but it looks like you're The Man With the Golden Gun!

Dave

11 hours ago, pierces said:

Our local Smart & Final store, which is a combination grocery store/restaurant supply was out of packets but had a 2 lb block of yeast for $7. We have yeast. Boy, do we have yeast. We are also fortunate that we got into the habit of buying bulk when we lived in a fairly remote area in Georgia for a while and still have about 10 lbs of regular flour and 40 lbs or so of bread flour in airtight gamma storage containers. Even though we are back to a few blocks from stores, the idea of buying 50 lbs of flour for about 25¢/lb still seemed like a good idea since we already had the containers. Who knew it would come in so handy. How sad that it did.

Dave

Yes, it is sad but comforting to know you are well stocked.

My two counties (Palm Beach where I live and Broward where I work) are both under Shelter in Place - though as an 'essential' worker I'm still going to the office M-F - I'm just there by myself with all other EEs working remotely from home, so we are all socially distanced.  Last weekend I was able to go out to the wetlands - in what ended up being the last time for my primary spot (Wakodahatchee Wetlands is county-run, so after Saturday March 21, they closed indefinitely) and I also headed farther west to the Everglades where few people go on normal days - walking miles out on to the levees, it was just me and the alligators and birds - about as safe from coronavirus as home!  So here are some pics from those two wetlands last Saturday, 3/21:

A purple flower out at the Everglades:

original.jpg

Not a copy/paste image - but two eastern lubber grasshoppers, both juvenile.  There are thousands of these in the Everglades, all hatched around this time of year - by May, you can barely walk without stepping on the big, colorful, and clumsy lubbers:

original.jpg

A sandhill crane, out among the grassy waters in the distance, with strong backlighting giving it an interesting texture:

original.jpg

A glossy ibis, showing why he's called 'glossy' as the sun hits his iridescent feathers:

original.jpg

A black-necked stilt with his reflection:

original.jpg

It's the time of babies in the wetlands - and not just the birds.  Here's a little baby alligator popping up for a look around:

original.jpg

• Like 4