Cancellation Insurance on Credit Cards

Phillygirl3

Does anyone know if you paid for your cruise with a credit card that offers a certain amount of coverage for your trip, will reimburse you (credit back) for coronavirus?  I'm thinking "No" as this is something unusual that isn't normally covered in any type of travel insurance.  

Thanks for any feedback?

You would be best to contact the credit card company directly.  I know mine covers for things paid for but not received, but that's usually something you purchase for a smaller amount.  I'd be curious to know what their policy is.  We have a minor travel insurance with our card, but always buy travel insurance if leaving the country, so never think of that.

Just because you bought travel insurance doesn't mean you have to claim under the policy if you can get satisfaction in other ways, or if your total loss is less than the premium you paid.  My TA has always been able to roll the policy forward to a new trip if the vendor cancels and I don't claim.

It would be best to clarify any questions with the company itself.  Apparently, now that this outbreak has been officially declared a "pandemic" - some things may *not* be covered.  (Funny how one word can change so much....)

Fran

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2020 at 1:34 PM, Phillygirl3 said:

Does anyone know if you paid for your cruise with a credit card that offers a certain amount of coverage for your trip, will reimburse you (credit back) for coronavirus?  I'm thinking "No" as this is something unusual that isn't normally covered in any type of travel insurance.  

Thanks for any feedback?

I've excerpted below the most germane provision from our credit card's (Chase's United Explorer) "Guide to Benefits":

The Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption benefit covers a broad array of ‘what-ifs’ that can impact travel plans, reimbursing if:

... Sickness experienced by You or Your Traveling Companion which prevents You or Your Traveling Companion from traveling on the Trip

...Sickness experienced by an Immediate Family Member of You or Your Traveling Companion when the … Sickness is considered life threatening, requires hospitalization, or such Immediate Family Member requires care by You or Your Traveling Companion …

Quarantine of You or Your Traveling Companion imposed by a Physician or by a competent governmental authority having jurisdiction, due to health reasons

In the event that Your Trip Cancellation or Trip Interruption results in a credit for future travel, accommodations, or other consideration being issued by the Travel Supplier, no benefits shall be payable for that portion of the Eligible Travel Expenses which such credit represents until such credit expires.

The Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption benefit does not apply to any loss caused by or resulting from, directly or indirectly:

Your disinclination to travel due to an epidemic or pandemic

FWIW,  we have relied on Chase's much touted "travel benefits for cardholders"  on multiple prior international cruise/air itineraries, but were extremely disappointed with our single experience in submiting our first and only claim in November, 2019.

It's anecdotal only but it was DENY, DISPUTE, DELAY all the way.

It's our (perhaps erroneous) understanding that Chubb underwrites and administers Chase's Trip Cancellation/Interuption "benefit" as well as other travel insurance products marketed by various travel organizations.

It was only after we included a statement in the payment of other charges to the credit card that we were doing so under protest and reserved the right to withhold  payment of future charges in the amount of our valid claim  as a contractual offset and asserted our intention to contact the CEOs of Chase, United, and Chubb about our experience that Chase/Chubb discontinued, what in our opinionis, their dishonorable tactics.

Your mileage may vary, but as always caveat emptor 

Hihandycap:

Thank you, so much, for this information, it is much appreciated.  We are, also, Chase members and I assumed that this would be their policy regarding cruise cancellations.  So for now, we will have to wait for our cruise line to cancel the cruise, which is, without a doubt, going to take place.

1 hour ago, Phillygirl3 said:

Hihandycap:

Thank you, so much, for this information, it is much appreciated.  We are, also, Chase members and I assumed that this would be their policy regarding cruise cancellations.  So for now, we will have to wait for our cruise line to cancel the cruise, which is, without a doubt, going to take place.

I'm glad it may have been helpful in a small way.

We have reserved a Viking River Cruise (VRC) in late May (our first.)  VRC has canceled all itineraries through the end of April.  We (and VRC) are awaiting developments.

If VRC decides to extend its offer through the end of May, we will take the full refund, but are mildly concerned about our ability to timely work-off the refund to the CC (may have to reconfigure automatic bill pays currently set up with other CCs.)

The situation is tough on everyone--customers, cruise companies, credit card issuers, travel agents, etc.

Stay healthy!