Marina having trouble finding a port

Clutj

4 minutes ago, Clutj said:

Now off Ecuador.  May have to go all the way to Miami.  Not even any symptoms of COVID on board...

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/oceania-ms-marina-cruise-ship-stranded

I was just reading the same thing!  OMG!  How sad for those folks, but hey at least they have good food and beverage (per the article)!   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Clutj said:

Now off Ecuador.  May have to go all the way to Miami.  Not even any symptoms of COVID on board...

We are on the same cruise.  "Stranded " is melodramatic, given that the ports denying us were in South America, and we are headed north.  There has been an abundance of caution about stating plans, probably until Oceania can address transportation for Asian and European travelers.  Inconvenient,  of course, but Mr Eggleston is overdoing it 

• Like 2

Stella -- Sorry this has disrupted your cruise.  There might be a few people interested in how it all gets resolved, so keep us posted if you can.  How many sea days have you had since the decision to cancel, and is there an estimate if you have to go all the way to Miami, which the article said was possible...

Well to me (and maybe I'm missing something), that would be the "greatest cruise ever"!  Wish I was on board!  Great meals, good weather (hopefully), and fully stocked bars - only tragedy would be running out of Single-Malt!  I guess I could "make do" with high-end Bourbon, instead.  The important thing is that no one has any symptoms of Coronavirus....and the "bonus" will be their passage through the Panama Canal!  How great is that!

• Like 2

You don’t want to be on any cruise now. On Sirena now, heading to Miami.  Only made a stop in 2 ports.  The rest has been sea days. All that anybody talks about is the VIRUS. The stress is increasing. This is not a dream cruise. It is like walking on ice. One crack and we’re all dead!  Starting to run out of things. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Redtravel said:

You don’t want to be on any cruise now. On Sirena now, heading to Miami.  Only made a stop in 2 ports.  The rest has been sea days. All that anybody talks about is the VIRUS. The stress is increasing. This is not a dream cruise. It is like walking on ice. One crack and we’re all dead!  Starting to run out of things. 

Hope you can survive until you dock on Wed ...maybe start stockpiling food  incase they run out 😎

3 hours ago, Stella Maris said:

We are on the same cruise.  "Stranded " is melodramatic, given that the ports denying us were in South America, and we are headed north.  There has been an abundance of caution about stating plans, probably until Oceania can address transportation for Asian and European travelers.  Inconvenient,  of course, but Mr Eggleston is overdoing it 

He is  a politician    what can we say 😉

2 hours ago, Redtravel said:

On Sirena now, heading to Miami. The stress is increasing. This is not a dream cruise. It is like walking on ice. One crack and we’re all dead!  Starting to run out of things. 

Very sorry, Redtravel.  What’s running out?  What else can you tell us about what it’slike?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, pingpong1 said:

Well to me (and maybe I'm missing something), that would be the "greatest cruise ever"!  Wish I was on board!  Great meals, good weather (hopefully), and fully stocked bars - only tragedy would be running out of Single-Malt!  I guess I could "make do" with high-end Bourbon, instead.  The important thing is that no one has any symptoms of Coronavirus....and the "bonus" will be their passage through the Panama Canal!  How great is that!

It is actually pretty nice, with a crew knocking themselves out to keep us fed and amused.  We all look forward to reaching port, but they couldn't make this any smoother.  Passengers who need meds seem to have had then shipped to Panama, where I think the ship will restock.  Miami is probable,  and that's probably where the bubble will burst.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stella Maris said:

It is actually pretty nice, with a crew knocking themselves out to keep us fed and amused. 

I bet the crew  do not feel the same 

knocking themselves out  for  pax ...🙄

They must be very overworked with all the extra  cleaning etc..

Glad you are  enjoying it

• Like 1

The crew has been wonderful on the Marina.  They have been bringing staff that are usually in the background out to help in the dining rooms and to stand by the doors to make sure everyone sanitizes before entering the Terrace Cafe.  I am sure destination services are not too busy planning port excursions.  My heart does go out to the crew who have, in many cases, left family for long periods of time to earn money and send it home, now uncertain about their futures.  

We are running out of things also.  We have no cones for ice cream... will I survive?  (this is tongue in cheek... before  I get hateful comments)  Everything still feels like a dream cruise on the Marina.  The staff are doing the best they can in these chaotic circumstances. 

Edited by mjox32
  • Like 4

On Marina now.

Just received the following from the General Manager:

“We would like to provide you with an update on our itinerary.  We are sailing north to the Panama Canal with our ultimate destination being Miami.  As Panama Canal transit slots are reserved far in advance, the Canal authorities are working to find Marina a slot.  We expect to have the Canal transit date and final arrival date in Miami within the next 48 hours.  U.S. ports are open to returning cruise ships and all guests will be able to disembark and fly home as confirmed by a National Interest Exemption issued by the Department of Homeland Security.”

“This includes guests who are U.S. citizens, legal permanent residents and Foreign diplomats.  Non-US citizens will be allowed to fly back to their home countries.”
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, RetiredLifer said:

On Marina now.

“We would like to provide you with an update on our itinerary.  We are sailing north to the Panama Canal with our ultimate destination being Miami.  As Panama Canal transit slots are reserved far in advance, the Canal authorities are working to find Marina a slot.  We expect to have the Canal transit date and final arrival date in Miami within the next 48 hours.  U.S. ports are open to returning cruise ships and all guests will be able to disembark and fly home as confirmed by a National Interest Exemption issued by the Department of Homeland Security.”

“This includes guests who are U.S. citizens, legal permanent residents and Foreign diplomats.  Non-US citizens will be allowed to fly back to their home countries.”

Good news   for those onboard

Good to see these updates.  And the crew is highly professional.  They did expect to be staffing a Lima to Buenos Aires cruise now, but they are adapting to having us all around all day, and really keeping things positive.  Yes, they probably are overworked. And I think we all keep that in mind.  

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Stella Maris said:

Good to see these updates.  And the crew is highly professional.  They did expect to be staffing a Lima to Buenos Aires cruise now, but they are adapting to having us all around all day, and really keeping things positive.  Yes, they probably are overworked. And I think we all keep that in mind.  

Sounds to me that some extra tipping would be in order.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RetiredLifer said:

On Marina now.

We were due to embark Marina on March 15 in Lima. Needless to say we are sitting at home in Melbourne sad the cruise was cancelled but relieved we are here. All Australians have been advised by our Government  to return home immediately. Are there Australians on board as it will not be easy to find flights home? Very concerning. 

We were on the previous leg and met quite a few who were sailing on from Buenos Aires. And, yes, there were some Aussies sailing onward.

We wish everyone a safe journey home. Stay informed and maintain good health.

• Like 2

These are the stories about situations which the next generation will find it hard to believe ever came about-

A more serious version of when 6'3" me broke my foot falling off of my platform shoes in the 1970's.

s-l300.jpg

It was only my second time wearing them and they cost a pretty penny, so I kept those suckers for five more years....

Some people have a longer learning curve  😵

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, StanandJim said:

A more serious version of when 6'3" me broke my foot falling off of my platform shoes in the 1970's.

Oh my. Although you kept them hopefully you kept them hidden in the closet for those years. I was an adult in the '70s and those just aren't too cute 🙂