Oceania’s Ridiculous Loop Hole on Your Refund - not impressed!

Sun Queen II

So here is the latest news regarding Oceania’s new policy for FCC vs Refund.  And I have to say, it is very unfair.  When we received the first notice a couple of weeks ago that we could cancel our upcoming (March 21) cruise, we decided to cancel right away and take the FCC, as that was all that was offered, and we have health issues, and wanted to stay safe.  We spoke with our TA at Oceania and assumed that if any new Oceania policy changes took place that we would be included in those.  

Turns out, we were wrong.  We cancelled our cruise on March 7th, 6 days later Oceania came out with offers that included FCC at 150%, or 125% (depending on your cruise), or a full 100% refund (this was on March 13th).  The loop hole is that the new message says “anyone currently booked”, and when we finally got through today to ask for the refund that was now offered, we were told because we were proactive and cancelled 6 days before, that we are not entitled to a refund, nor to the 150% FCC.  

We have never cruised with Oceania, this was to be our first, but I have to say that the way they are handling this, we will never cruise with them after this.

Has anyone else experienced something similar?  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sun Queen II said:

So here is the latest news regarding Oceania’s new policy for FCC vs Refund.  And I have to say, it is very unfair.  When we received the first notice a couple of weeks ago that we could cancel our upcoming (March 21) cruise, we decided to cancel right away and take the FCC, as that was all that was offered, and we have health issues, and wanted to stay safe.  We spoke with our TA at Oceania and assumed that if any new Oceania policy changes took place that we would be included in those.  

Turns out, we were wrong.  We cancelled our cruise on March 7th, 6 days later Oceania came out with offers that included FCC at 150%, or 125% (depending on your cruise), or a full 100% refund (this was on March 13th).  The loop hole is that the new message says “anyone currently booked”, and when we finally got through today to ask for the refund that was now offered, we were told because we were proactive and cancelled 6 days before, that we are not entitled to a refund, nor to the 150% FCC.  

We have never cruised with Oceania, this was to be our first, but I have to say that the way they are handling this, we will never cruise with them after this.

Why is it not fair.... When you buy an airline ticket and the price changes are you able to get the better price? It's sucks but it's not Oceania fault and their policies regarding the corna virus is as good or better than most other lines.... Again it sucks but you have the credit to use. IMO

I can see both points of view.

If OP has not received the FCC as yet then the "transaction" is not completed and all passengers on the same cancelled cruise should be compensated equally. If the FCC was already given, then it's akin to making a final payment after which changes cannot be made; conversely, before "final payment" changes to fare (in this case compensation) should be allowed.

This is NOT changing pricing and normal conditions.  

ALL passengers who are affected by the fact that Oceania, or any line,  cancels a cruise and suspends operations should be compensated equally and fairly.  

That should mean that every passenger should be fully refunded at whatever price point they paid.

This shouldn’t be some kind of psychological mind game with policies that change by day.  

The more I hear about Oceania / NCL the worse it sounds.  

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

I can see both points of view.

If OP has not received the FCC as yet then the "transaction" is not completed and all passengers on the same cancelled cruise should be compensated equally. If the FCC was already given, then it's akin to making a final payment after which changes cannot be made; conversely, before "final payment" changes to fare (in this case compensation) should be allowed.

To answer your question, we have not received the FCC.  Still waiting on everything.  Has anyone else received theirs?  If we had known that a few days later O would have changed their policy, we would have waited.  We were trying to get ahead of things so we wouldn’t be waiting for weeks.  Turns out we still are waiting.  

53 minutes ago, Sun Queen II said:

I wonder if their attitude would have been different if you were Plat (20+ cruises) with Oceania vs a first-timer?

• Like 1

I will be very honest with you..your FCC and/or refunds will probably take 90 days or more..it is a zoo in their office and now agents will be working from home which will slow things down again..Oceania is not grandfathering anything in..what you got when you canceled is what you get..Their may be a time in the future (IMHO) when it could be looked at again but that is just my wishful thinking..

I am glad for what I got as I am worried that some  smaller lines will got out of business..

Jan

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yes that would be very frustrating

Technically  on the day of the change in policy  you were not "currently booked"  but  it would be nice if Oceania offered  a refund to those that cancelled  in the short term

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Yes that would be very frustrating

Technically  on the day of the change in policy  you were not "currently booked"  but  it would be nice if Oceania offered  a refund to those that cancelled  in the short term

I think it would be a nice goodwill gesture to attract new/keep old customers but I am not sure that cruise lines are in that mood at the moment.

I think Jan is right.  

“A bird in the hand....”

Still pretty bad and IMHO unfair to dangle that carrot.  Especially in these dangerous and trying circumstances.   

I will I’ll just refrain from using words worse than bad or awful here.   Even though that is what is going thru my mind.  This is not something a fair or reputable company with any good will would do. 

Just now, njhorseman said:

"O" is part of NCLH, the third largest cruise operator in the world. It hasn't been a stand-alone company for a few years now.

Oh right. So what would be a small line? We've traveled on Hurtigruten which likely has maybe 10 or 12 ships.

1 hour ago, Jancruz said:

I will be very honest with you..your FCC and/or refunds will probably take 90 days or more..it is a zoo in their office and now agents will be working from home which will slow things down again.

Jan

If O was to hang on to my money for 90 days if they cancel a cruise I have paid for in full, then I am definitely not making my final payment due April 11 for a June 26 cruise that is not canceled yet. I will proactively cancel. If the cruise happens to go, which is looking unlikely for June cruises I will re book it and go on the cruise, assuming flights to Europe resume. Right now O only has $1500 of my money. I can wait a bit for that amount but not 90 days for the entire amount.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paulchili said:

I think it would be a nice goodwill gesture to attract new/keep old customers but I am not sure that cruise lines are in that mood at the moment.

I agree

So many balls in the air at the moment I am sure their  heads are spinning

7 hours ago, Sun Queen II said:

<SNIP>

..." says “anyone currently booked”, and when we finally got through today to ask for the refund that was now offered, we were told because we were proactive and cancelled 6 days before, that we are not entitled to a refund, nor to the 150% FCC.  

Not first hand but in a weekly email we get from a TA he was advising his clients to not immediately cancel unless time was short and could not wait. He was implying situations like you describe and urged his clients who have bookings to call to discuss and not just cancel . That advice was for cruise lines in general at the time - not O specifically. So it does appear something similar was anticipated.

I am not so sure that they would make the responsible decision and not risk my well being when deciding that a cruise would “go” or not.   In fact, quite the opposite. 

They did did not cancel anything, did they, until forced by Presidential Order.   Shouldn’t a company have more concern than the President.  Having to force him to step in. 

It really is that simple. 

It it is not appropriate to place concerned customers with bookings in that position and then play these policy games. 

Even more more especially with the usual older demographic. 

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

I am not so sure that they would make the responsible decision and not risk my well being when deciding that a cruise would “go” or not.   In fact, quite the opposite. 

They did did not cancel anything, did they, until forced by Presidential Order.   Shouldn’t a company have more concern than the President.  Having to force him to step in. 

It really is that simple. 

It it is not appropriate to place concerned customers with bookings in that position and then play these policy games. 

Even more more especially with the usual older demographic. 

well the Riviera and the Marina other than having docking issues are fine and the passengers are not complaining. Soi what policy changes? No one on any of the O ships have gotten sick.

• Like 1

Compare NCL policy with what Princess (part of Carnival) did when they started their 60 day shutdown.  Of course they were at the center of the cruise ship quarantine debacle.  They made their refund/enhanced fcc offer available to guests who had already cancelled back to early Feb.

• Like 1

On a related topic, NCL reduced the time period between the sailing date and final payment -- I am pretty sure that they went from 120 days down to 90.  Oceania and Regent have not followed suit.  Final payment for our cruise in late October is going to be due May 31st.  Then our choice will be to either pay in full and hope to be able to cancel without penalty later, or simply cancel since so much in unknown at this point and likely at the end of May.  Obviously I am not sure that I will know that much more by the end of July, but the chances that we can make a fully informed decision in May is looking pretty remote. 

As everyone has noted, the industry is struggling to figure all of this out, and they are struggling to stay financially afloat (sorry about that pun), and they are going to want to see money coming in, and then hold onto it as long as they can.  That is not in my interest however.

41 minutes ago, doghouse2 said:

Compare NCL policy with what Princess (part of Carnival) did when they started their 60 day shutdown.  Of course they were at the center of the cruise ship quarantine debacle.  They made their refund/enhanced fcc offer available to guests who had already cancelled back to early Feb.

But  didn't Princess transfer crew from the  infected Diamond to other  ships  that  transferred the virus  to pax/crew on their other ships

So far not many other lines  have the  virus onboard

JMO

18 hours ago, Jancruz said:

I will be very honest with you..your FCC and/or refunds will probably take 90 days or more..it is a zoo in their office and now agents will be working from home which will slow things down again..Oceania is not grandfathering anything in..what you got when you canceled is what you get..Their may be a time in the future (IMHO) when it could be looked at again but that is just my wishful thinking..

I am glad for what I got as I am worried that some  smaller lines will got out of business..

Jan

Sorry Jan, but many of us canceled days after Oceania should have canceled which, in my case, was several days after Princess and Viking canceled. We should not be penalized for our prompt action.

Perhaps a chat with the BOSS is in order.

42 minutes ago, bbwex said:

On a related topic, NCL reduced the time period between the sailing date and final payment -- I am pretty sure that they went from 120 days down to 90.  Oceania and Regent have not followed suit.  Final payment for our cruise in late October is going to be due May 31st.  Then our choice will be to either pay in full and hope to be able to cancel without penalty later, or simply cancel since so much in unknown at this point and likely at the end of May.  Obviously I am not sure that I will know that much more by the end of July, but the chances that we can make a fully informed decision in May is looking pretty remote. 

As everyone has noted, the industry is struggling to figure all of this out, and they are struggling to stay financially afloat (sorry about that pun), and they are going to want to see money coming in, and then hold onto it as long as they can.  That is not in my interest however.

FWIW, Oceania final payment is based on length of cruise. It's not always the same time period.