Oceania’s Ridiculous Loop Hole on Your Refund - not impressed!

Sun Queen II

One thing to remember here folks, Oceania didn't create this problem, unfortunately they're having to deal with the financial ramifications of it more than most businesses. (the whole cruise industry is, not just NCL)

I think some of you should step back and look at it from a business perspective. 

I had a gift card to a restaurant that went out of business. I didn't get anything back. No where near the amount of money you're dealing with here but it's the same concept. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, B-2-Bs Best! said:

Sorry Jan, but many of us canceled days after Oceania should have canceled which, in my case, was several days after Princess and Viking canceled. We should not be penalized for our prompt action.

Perhaps a chat with the BOSS is in order.

different situation for different carriers.....one that created most of the issues for the cruise industry and another which is privately held. IMO safety first....and O is still sailing without any issues. They could have stood by their original contract and offer no credits but they did what they could do.

20 hours ago, Paulchili said:

I wonder if their attitude would have been different if you were Plat (20+ cruises) with Oceania vs a first-timer?

One of the posters on our March 31st Riviera Roll Call posted that she had cancelled before the Cruise line cancelled our cruise and got her TA to get a refund afterwards instead of the FCC offered to those who cancelled before the cruise was cancelled. Don't think they were Platinum.

5 minutes ago, cruisingxpert said:

One of the posters on our March 31st Riviera Roll Call posted that she had cancelled before the Cruise line cancelled our cruise and got her TA to get a refund afterwards instead of the FCC offered to those who cancelled before the cruise was cancelled. Don't think they were Platinum.

She was either very lucky or had a very good TA.

I still think everyone in the same “boat” should be treated equally - if your cruise was cancelled you should have an option of FCC or refund like everyone else on your cruise, no matter when you cancelled.

It’ll be helpful if Oceania delay the final payment dates for upcoming fall cruises. We’ll have more time and maybe confidence to decide and they will be dealing with less cancellations at the moment.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Sun Queen II said:

So here is the latest news regarding Oceania’s new policy for FCC vs Refund.  And I have to say, it is very unfair.  When we received the first notice a couple of weeks ago that we could cancel our upcoming (March 21) cruise, we decided to cancel right away and take the FCC, as that was all that was offered, and we have health issues, and wanted to stay safe.  We spoke with our TA at Oceania and assumed that if any new Oceania policy changes took place that we would be included in those.  

Turns out, we were wrong.  We cancelled our cruise on March 7th, 6 days later Oceania came out with offers that included FCC at 150%, or 125% (depending on your cruise), or a full 100% refund (this was on March 13th).  The loop hole is that the new message says “anyone currently booked”, and when we finally got through today to ask for the refund that was now offered, we were told because we were proactive and cancelled 6 days before, that we are not entitled to a refund, nor to the 150% FCC.  

This is exactly why my sister and I waited, and, sure enough, O cancelled the cruise (3-18-2020 Sirena).  By the way, if they had not cancelled, we were ready to head to Miami for sailway tomorrow!

Another aspect to this issue is that it seems pretty clear that the govt will give cruise lines some type of assistance/bailout like airlines, hotels, other businesses. All of the cruises lines are going to lose money—even with such a bailout.   I agree with  this being a business decision on Oceania’s part but it’s also a business decision Both now and in the future.  

25 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

She was either very lucky or had a very good TA.

I still think everyone in the same “boat” should be treated equally - if your cruise was cancelled you should have an option of FCC or refund like everyone else on your cruise, no matter when you cancelled.

Agree that everyone should be treated the same, but that doesn’t seem to be the case.  Oceania Management if you’re reading these posts, we would appreciate the same courtesy as others even though we are not long time cruisers.  

I will add that pointing fingers at others over things that were not under their control helps nobody.

It is the decisions and policies that are now being made/changed that are fair grounds for discussion.

I base my thoughts and feelings on current facts and actions.

I agree with your last post, Paulchili.

Edited by Wishing on a star

4 hours ago, bbwex said:

On a related topic, NCL reduced the time period between the sailing date and final payment -- I am pretty sure that they went from 120 days down to 90.  Oceania and Regent have not followed suit.  Final payment for our cruise in late October is going to be due May 31st.  Then our choice will be to either pay in full and hope to be able to cancel without penalty later, or simply cancel since so much in unknown at this point and likely at the end of May.  Obviously I am not sure that I will know that much more by the end of July, but the chances that we can make a fully informed decision in May is looking pretty remote. 

As everyone has noted, the industry is struggling to figure all of this out, and they are struggling to stay financially afloat (sorry about that pun), and they are going to want to see money coming in, and then hold onto it as long as they can.  That is not in my interest however.

Our final payment for Oct. is due May 1st.  If O does not extend the final pay date and waive cancel penelties than we will cancel.  Want to be in control of our money and not just have a future cruise credit on their books.  Can always re book.  Am sure there will be a lot of space when they start sailing again.  If they do. 

• Like 1

Very true regarding final payment.  Mine is due June 22 for our Sept 20 cruise.  I sure hope we can make this one.  I will be canceling the May 1st one.  I will be very glad to get a fcc for that cruise unless Oceania cancels it before April 28 and if they do then I will take the refund back on my credit card.  I just want back what I paid, don’t need more or want less.

• Like 1

NCL is not ready to refund unless they are pushed. Oceania is part of NCL.  
On Sirena now. Many people are saying that we deserve a refund for all the missed ports. I agree. Added to that, most people on the ship said that they would have canceled if they had been given the option. Our cruise embarked on a March 8th.  Canceling for us meant no payback or fcc. It was come or lose what we paid for the cruise. So we came. In retrospect, we should have stayed home. For us, since we are over 70, there may not be another Oceania cruise.  With the requirement of a doctor note, Oceania’s cruise population will decrease. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redtravel said:

For us, since we are over 70, there may not be another Oceania cruise.  With the requirement of a doctor note, Oceania’s cruise population will decrease. 

Do you know if the Doctors note will be required once the pandemic is over & they are sailing again?

Or are you just  speculating?

Seems unlikely as Oceania demographics are well over 50%  seniors

That would eliminate  many people from cruise ships depending on what age they considered to be a senior

JMO

Interesting topics on cc, including this one.
Issues are all over the place right now.  
Opinions are all over the place right now.
Majority of situations - all still a big question mark.
Sun Queen II - sympathize with your situation, but not clear what you mean when you say you “have not received the FCC”…would it just not stay as a credit with Oceania for when you rebook (therefore no $ changing hands now)?
Personally, I’m not impressed with the slowness of O to act/react, & one could say that since people get different prices on the same category of cabins depending when they book, then  likewise for when they cancel…I’m NOT of that opinion, as I believe any company can do a lot to foster goodwill & future loyalty (1st time cruiser or 20th time cruiser or anything in between) by being generous in an unusual situation which this certainly is, not to mention at least doing what other cruise lines are doing.
We were recently on the Regatta Feb 17-Mar 5 (Auckland to Papeete) with 3 missed ports (otherwise a successful & “healthy” cruise).  I asked on board about refund of unused port charges…not a satisfactory answer, & I know not a priority right now for O, but I did email them about this & no reply so far (this is minor at this point).  This was our 2nd O cruise (previous was in 2010).  We had already booked for a Nov 2020 Med cruise (not just booked on board), which I am not yet convinced we will end up taking.  Note about cancellation & refunds which I find very interesting — our final payment is due 90 days prior (cruise is <14 days), but cancellation penalties kick in 120 days prior, a policy I do not recall from any other cruise line, and a bit sneaky IMO.  Similar situation if longer cruise—5 months/6 months respectively.

On 3/16/2020 at 5:24 PM, eldaradoe said:

Why is it not fair.... When you buy an airline ticket and the price changes are you able to get the better price? It's sucks but it's not Oceania fault and their policies regarding the corna virus is as good or better than most other lines.... Again it sucks but you have the credit to use. IMO

On 3/17/2020 at 12:47 PM, ORV said:

FWIW, Oceania final payment is based on length of cruise. It's not always the same time period. 

I don't quite understand the misconception about cancellation of a cruise. In your documents it lists all the conditions in ref. to time and penalties. If you cancel within 59 days of the cruise, you forfeit 00 % of the full fare.

We had two cruises cancelled due to COVID-19 and both times Oceania did either refund total costs plus any paid shore excursion, etc.  or a Future Cruise Credit of a certain percentage above the fare. Reimbursement was prompt and accomplished in a fair and good manner.  I am at a loss of why there is even a discussion about it.

2 hours ago, googler55 said:

We were recently on the Regatta Feb 17-Mar 5 (Auckland to Papeete) with 3 missed ports (otherwise a successful & “healthy” cruise).  I asked on board about refund of unused port charges…not a satisfactory answer, & I know not a priority right now for O, but I did email them about this & no reply so far (this is minor at this point). 

Just an FYI

Oceania has not refunded port fees in MANY years now  so I would not get your hopes up

It is  a contentious issue 

JMO

59 minutes ago, excited cruise traveler said:

I don't quite understand the misconception about cancellation of a cruise. In your documents it lists all the conditions in ref. to time and penalties. If you cancel within 59 days of the cruise, you forfeit 00 % of the full fare.

We had two cruises cancelled due to COVID-19 and both times Oceania did either refund total costs plus any paid shore excursion, etc.  or a Future Cruise Credit of a certain percentage above the fare. Reimbursement was prompt and accomplished in a fair and good manner.  I am at a loss of why there is even a discussion about it.

''Mr.or Ms. EXCITED/Congratulations/Your timing obviously lucked out for you/Not so for many others of us.

We not so fortunate with timing are not being treated fairly. I canceled a cruise about 2 hours before Oceania announced cancellations. Resultant thereof I was denied refund, acquired FCC instead, but at only 100%, not the 125% offered those who didn't cancel themselves.

An added note, when re-booking, the FCC is considered a SAVINGS, not a deposit or payment, and you'll need to make a new cash deposit of $750pp. And, your travel agent, who wasn't protected for commission on the cancellation. will receive little or no commission on the re-book since the FCC is being treated as a SAVINGS, not a payment.

And, for Jan, talk to the BOSS and get this travesty corrected.

On 3/16/2020 at 2:06 PM, Sun Queen II said:

So here is the latest news regarding Oceania’s new policy for FCC vs Refund.  And I have to say, it is very unfair.  When we received the first notice a couple of weeks ago that we could cancel our upcoming (March 21) cruise, we decided to cancel right away and take the FCC, as that was all that was offered, and we have health issues, and wanted to stay safe.  We spoke with our TA at Oceania and assumed that if any new Oceania policy changes took place that we would be included in those.  

Turns out, we were wrong.  We cancelled our cruise on March 7th, 6 days later Oceania came out with offers that included FCC at 150%, or 125% (depending on your cruise), or a full 100% refund (this was on March 13th).  The loop hole is that the new message says “anyone currently booked”, and when we finally got through today to ask for the refund that was now offered, we were told because we were proactive and cancelled 6 days before, that we are not entitled to a refund, nor to the 150% FCC.  

We have never cruised with Oceania, this was to be our first, but I have to say that the way they are handling this, we will never cruise with them after this.

Has anyone else experienced something similar?  

In the same boat as you! They cannot really change their policy like that and then exclude a class (or group) of people in a way that disadvantages that class of people. I have a call in to my lawyer to see what I can do.

Just now, eldaradoe said:

if you feel this way why would you cruise with them??JS

I will never cruise with them again after this experience and I will be blogging about how dishonest they are to deal with.

• Like 1