Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Sun Queen II

Oceania’s Ridiculous Loop Hole on Your Refund - not impressed!

Recommended Posts

37 minutes ago, Pedro22 said:

Under false pretenses. The agents were sent an email and told to lie to customers.

Would they not have to be proven guilty  first?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since some folks won't accept that NCL, Oceania, and Regent have independent operations and insist on conflating NCL's scandal with Oceania because both NCL and Oceania are owned by the same holding company, NCHL, here's the latest.  Note that there is no claim or evidence either NCLH or Oceania were party the the scheme which was the brain child of an NCL executive in charge of NCL's sales force.

 

https://www.businessinsider.com/norwegian-cruise-line-exec-bob-becker-on-leave-after-coronavirus-comments-2020-3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, cruisinjoan01 said:

I've been getting all the notices from my TA at O, plus all the statements from O.  The emails that went out on 3/6 and 3/13 are from a totally different email address and are coming from the president of O.  My TA at O can't figure it out and has handed it over to the IT dept.  Who knows when they will figure it out.  I still haven't gotten the cancellation notice which I've asked for at least a dozen times.  Luckily I have the copy that my fellow traveler forwarded to me.

Unfortunately, they are not sending out cancel invoices 

Jancruz1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like by purchasing the correct travel insurance when booking would save some folks a lot of angst and anger. Reading these ones I am reminded of those many posts by the "I am a physician" and then would rant that they are forcing people to make unsafe decisions (Asia) . Forced. As in no choice. In the end he admitted he had not bought the right insurance. All the while touting this was all about his wanting to make people safe and informed but it was about him being out money. In fact, not really out money - that was spent. It was about losing a vacation.

 

And some on this board (I am pretty sure many other boards ) post about how they were ripped off becasue they agreed to 100% FCC and missed on the later 125% offer. And ...  But for 25% more will go on a sail again? Seems pretty conflicted to me.

 

Be safe, don't travel. Buy insurance. Know what your are buying.  Have a nap.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, YoHoHo said:

Seems like by purchasing the correct travel insurance when booking would save some folks a lot of angst and anger. Reading these ones I am reminded of those many posts by the "I am a physician" and then would rant that they are forcing people to make unsafe decisions (Asia) . Forced. As in no choice. In the end he admitted he had not bought the right insurance. All the while touting this was all about his wanting to make people safe and informed but it was about him being out money. In fact, not really out money - that was spent. It was about losing a vacation.

 

And some on this board (I am pretty sure many other boards ) post about how they were ripped off becasue they agreed to 100% FCC and missed on the later 125% offer. And ...  But for 25% more will go on a sail again? Seems pretty conflicted to me.

 

Be safe, don't travel. Buy insurance. Know what your are buying.  Have a nap.

 

 

Try finding a travel insurance policy that covers epidemics/pandemics. They are specifically excluded. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, schmerl said:

 

Try finding a travel insurance policy that covers epidemics/pandemics. They are specifically excluded. 

Cancel For Any Reason. Granted only get back 50-75% of covered claims but better than 0%

And saw this today (Not a recommendation and not my insurer and know nothing about them):

"Allianz Global Assistance is temporarily enabling travelers to make medical and cancellation claims not typically covered because of the Covid-19 coronavirus.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, YoHoHo said:

Cancel For Any Reason. Granted only get back 50-75% of covered claims but better than 0%

And saw this today (Not a recommendation and not my insurer and know nothing about them):

"Allianz Global Assistance is temporarily enabling travelers to make medical and cancellation claims not typically covered because of the Covid-19 coronavirus.
 

 

Good to know....we are insured with them and our airfare is booked separately from our cruise. I know Alianz will pay for medical bills if you get sick from Covid 19 but I'm not sure they will cover if YOU decide to cancel because of it. Might cover if airlines or cruise lines chose to cancel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 3/18/2020 at 4:34 PM, Pedro22 said:

This is a board focussed on Oceania - what we know is a money grubbing corporate giant who is about to face Bankruptcy and many of us are likely to loose the FCC they duped some us into by not disclosed the credit refund option. This issues occupies about 1% of what i have going on. You don't know the rest of anyone's lives so to sit in judgement is ill informed. My sister is a doctor in NYC and has been working 24 hours around the clock. She has been exposed and is hoping she doesn't get taken out because there will be one less person to help the truly sick and needy.

Sorry didnt mean to do this...

Jan

Edited by Jancruz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, schmerl said:

 

Good to know....we are insured with them and our airfare is booked separately from our cruise. I know Alianz will pay for medical bills if you get sick from Covid 19 but I'm not sure they will cover if YOU decide to cancel because of it. Might cover if airlines or cruise lines chose to cancel. 

Read the info on the Allianz site carefully.  If I'm reading the update correctly, it says that they will now cover medical expenses and trip cancellations/interuptions only if you become sick because of COVID-19. 

 

If cruise lines or airlines cancel, they are expected to refund to total amount you paid.  For airlines, that's FAA Rule 260.  I don't have a reference for cruise lines, but that's what they have been doing.

Edited by 1985rz1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

Read the info on the Allianz site carefully.  If I'm reading the update correctly, it says that they will now cover medical expenses and trip cancellations/interuptions only if you become sick because of COVID-19. 

 

If cruise lines or airlines cancel, they are expected to refund to total amount you paid.  For airlines, that's FAA Rule 260.  I don't have a reference for cruise lines, but that's what they have been doing.

 

That is correct. Alianze will cover your costs if you become sick from the virus, not just because you want to cancel because of the virus. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Is that the regular medical coverage, which I would expect?  Cancel for any reason,  if one paid the big premium increase for that, should still apply.  I do have some Cancel For Any Reason on the one cruise deposit we have down.  True, these are not 100%.  And, the cruise line knows this.  That is a big hit.

 

But, anyhow...  Part of what the one poster above said is right.  Many people besides those of us here who are lucky enough to have planned to cruise are being affected by this.

 

I still see a lot of excuses and attempts to absolve or justify.

Do those of you here actually want to believe that one sole person made these broad efforts during the seriousness of this Pandemic, without anyone else knowing...  Without any 'guidance' from the very top levels.  (which would include the NCLH umbrella)

 

Hey, that is okay.    Facts do not always change peoples minds.  Just look at the FL beaches.

"I want to do what I want to do, to justify and see only what I want."

No matter if I continue to spread this disease back to the rest of the country.

 

This doesn't just include any (supposedly evil) corporation.

This includes many of us.  (collective population in general)

 

Personally, for me, this virus was brought into my community by one person who traveled and cruised.

My son is probably being layed off.

These are facts that I know, for me.

 

The fact of the matter is that a lot of people are very sick and dying and out of work and suffering.

That is what is going on.

That is what matters!  

I do not like the way some of the cruise lines, including 'O', have handled this.

That doesn't waver.

In the broader sense of things,  my feelings on this cruise thing are not that important, are they.

 

Now backing away....  

Edited by Wishing on a star

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

Is that the regular medical coverage, which I would expect?  Cancel for any reason,  if one paid the big premium increase for that, should still apply.  I do have some Cancel For Any Reason on the one cruise deposit we have down.  True, these are not 100%.  And, the cruise line knows this.  That is a big hit.

 

But, anyhow...  Part of what the one poster above said is right.  Many people besides those of us here who are lucky enough to have planned to cruise are being affected by this.

 

I still see a lot of excuses and attempts to absolve or justify.

Do those of you here actually want to believe that one sole person made these broad efforts during the seriousness of this Pandemic, without anyone else knowing...  Without any 'guidance' from the very top levels.  (which would include the NCLH umbrella)

 

Hey, that is okay.    Facts do not always change peoples minds.  Just look at the FL beaches.

"I want to do what I want to do, to justify and see only what I want."

No matter if I continue to spread this disease back to the rest of the country.

 

This doesn't just include any (supposedly evil) corporation.

This includes many of us.  (collective population in general)

 

Personally, for me, this virus was brought into my community by one person who traveled and cruised.

My son is probably being layed off.

These are facts that I know, for me.

 

The fact of the matter is that a lot of people are very sick and dying and out of work and suffering.

That is what is going on.

That is what matters!  

I do not like the way some of the cruise lines, including 'O', have handled this.

That doesn't waver.

In the broader sense of things,  my feelings on this cruise thing are not that important, are they.

 

Now backing away....  

That person....I can't believe he's a cruiser....smh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Let me get the OP's complaint straight.

 

THEY decided to cancel a cruise and were given a refund of 100% of what they paid.

At a later time, albeit within a few days, O cancelled the cruise and offered all remaining passengers an incentive to take a refund or fcc values at more than the original price paid.

OP is calling O cheats for not extending the offer to their cancelled booking.

 

Do I have that right?

 

If so, that's ridiculous! YOU cancelled. YOU accepted the cancellation refund. Your booking no longer exists in the system. You are NOT entitled to a penny more! You have NO complaint!

 

People's sense of entitlement has me scratching my head sometimes.

Edited by Guindalf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/18/2020 at 7:36 PM, Sun Queen II said:

We are contacting our lawyer as well.  

And what precisely is your damage claim?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Something to remember. A future cruise credit in event of bankruptcy filing of the cruise company (to restructure their debts in this current environment) would make the holder an unsecured creditor. Chances of getting any of your money back after secured claims (bank debt) are paid is slim to none. So if you have future cruises booked now and you are outside the cancellation window ...I would think long and hard about cancelling before you have to make a final payment. Given the state of the industry, you should have plenty of attractive cruise discounts coming your way once this crisis is over. The more of your cash they hold....the greater the risk you may be adversely financially impacted. 
 

And to the debates issue above, we were in the same exact spot on a May Oceania cruise. In our case only had $1,000 deposited. We cancelled before the large final payment was due (given risk discussed). Once we cancelled on our own, nothing that happens beyond that date applies to you. In other words, any lawyer will tell you there is no legal claim for different treatment or damages. Take what they offered and be glad you got that. 

Edited by ffnole

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/22/2020 at 10:32 AM, ffnole said:

Something to remember. A future cruise credit in event of bankruptcy filing of the cruise company (to restructure their debts in this current environment) would make the holder an unsecured creditor. Chances of getting any of your money back after secured claims (bank debt) are paid is slim to none. So if you have future cruises booked now and you are outside the cancellation window ...I would think long and hard about cancelling before you have to make a final payment. Given the state of the industry, you should have plenty of attractive cruise discounts coming your way once this crisis is over. The more of your cash they hold....the greater the risk you may be adversely financially impacted. 
 

And to the debates issue above, we were in the same exact spot on a May Oceania cruise. In our case only had $1,000 deposited. We cancelled before the large final payment was due (given risk discussed). Once we cancelled on our own, nothing that happens beyond that date applies to you. In other words, any lawyer will tell you there is no legal claim for different treatment or damages. Take what they offered and be glad you got that. 

We had a July cruise booked and cancelled a week ago before the 120 day window through our TA. Are now expecting our $1500 deposit refunded. No communication from Oceania whatsoever so far. Anyone else have an idea of timing of this refund? And should we have received confirmation of our cancellation? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, greeneyedgirl58 said:

We had a July cruise booked and cancelled a week ago before the 120 day window through our TA. Are now expecting our $1500 deposit refunded. No communication from Oceania whatsoever so far. Anyone else have an idea of timing of this refund? And should we have received confirmation of our cancellation? 

 

We cancelled last week and were told to expect at least 30 days until we receive our refund. At that point they had 29,000 refunds to make. It has probably gone up by now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I simply disputed the charge with my credit card company. They immediately deducted the charges and said they would investigate with the merchant. Yesterday my credit card company closed the dispute as settled and the refund remained on my credit card. That was for the full fare for the cruise as we had paid it back in October 2019.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Pedro22 said:

I simply disputed the charge with my credit card company. They immediately deducted the charges and said they would investigate with the merchant. Yesterday my credit card company closed the dispute as settled and the refund remained on my credit card. That was for the full fare for the cruise as we had paid it back in October 2019.

Please explain further - did the cruise line cancel the cruise or did you?

Did the cruise line offer you either refund or FCC. If either, why would the CC company compensate you if you were compensated in one way or another by the cruise line?

What am I missing?

Edited by Paulchili

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Pedro22 said:

I simply disputed the charge with my credit card company. They immediately deducted the charges and said they would investigate with the merchant. Yesterday my credit card company closed the dispute as settled and the refund remained on my credit card. That was for the full fare for the cruise as we had paid it back in October 2019.

Interesting

Since your cruise is next week  & probably  cancelled anyway 

Guess you got one over on the cruise line 😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Oceania cancelled the cruise. So disputed based on non-delivery of services. We were duped into accepting the only thing being offered at the time which was a future cruise credit. There was no active choice on our part. They dictated the terms. We will never be on another cruise after what we are now seeing. There are still cruise ships with passengers on them according to the Guardian as of this morning, and some have active coronavirus cases (CNN yesterday). There are still at least 10 ships and about 10,000 passengers at sea because their destinations are refusing them. There are also 3 to 5 ships off the coast of Florida trying to dock there. The cornavirus has been found to be alive on ship surfaces on the Princess a full 17 days after the pax were taken off! Further NCLH which owns Oceania is headquartered in the Bahamas. Almost all cruise lines are headquartered in countries to avoid paying US/UK tax and to avoid compliance with US/UK labor laws. See Wall Street Journal article published yesterday regarding this topic. "Big Cruise-Ship Lines Wouldn't Qualify for Aid Under Stimulus Package".  That means it would be difficult to get any money back from them if they use BK to restructure their debts.

Edited by Pedro22

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Interesting

Since your cruise is next week  & probably  cancelled anyway 

Guess you got one over on the cruise line 😎

Got one over or got back what is rightfully mine. They provided no services whatsoever. So why should they get to retain 100% of anyone's money? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...