Alaska August 2020 safe to book or not

Janet76

We are going to cancel our May booking and change it to August 22-29.  If April-July Alaska season is canceled, what are the chance of remaining season to stay open.  Just August- mid September left.  Do you think all Cruise industries will just flush Alaska 2020.  

51 minutes ago, Janet76 said:

No need to bring out Magic-8.  Its over...

Sorry......  I hope you get to Alaska in the future. It is stunning.

I actually think they may resume later this summer.

Edited by Coral

About three years ago, I left my lovely home, here in Alaska, bound for unknown treatments, outside, where I was told, on three different occasions, that it was "over,"  for me!

Each time, I found my way back here, to find that it isn't "over," just yet?!?

This is just another speed bump, in life, and you should just pursue the dream.

Alaska is still here and worth whatever it takes to get here, whenever. I haven't had a bad day yet, because I know the future! (NOT the market nor the weather......)

Lately, in life, I have found solace in watching opera, but I still avoid watching the final, when the " large lady" takes center stage 😳

Hope you find us here!

DD

• Like 7

I  have a mid August cruise planned. I have decided to wait another 30 days and then re evacuate the situation. I have friends on the east coast who booked for May and I am sure they are in a position where they will have to cancel or figure out when they can sail at a future date. I don't think the whole Alaska cruise season is washed out but it sure has a lot of road blocks going forward. Never seen this before.   

US cruise ships need to stop at a foreign port before they finish their cruise.  Canada has closed its ports so major problem.  Also with ports in Alaska being small and isolated I would expect they would not be keen to have massive numbers descend on them.

Spent a year planning this cruise so whole family could go.  Cancelled yesterday as we were flying from Australia to SAN Francisco and then cruise, multiple issues obviously so disappointed.

We were hoping to book next year, but most of the stateroom is sold out.  We don't have TA.  We were surprised how Alaska 2021 is almost booked.  Should we go through TA to get better room selection.  We are new to cruising. 

We know our May 2020 B2B will be cancelled -- just waiting for the official word from Princess. We also have an August 16, 2020 cruise to Alaska booked so we are keeping our fingers crossed that all goes well on that one.  Last night I booked the same May B2B on the Coral Princess for 2021.  Cabins were slim pickings so that is why I wanted to book now rather than later.  I looked on the Princess website to check for available cabins and then called my TA to make my reservation through them so we could get their perk added to the reservation.  I got lucky and was able to book the same cabin as we had reserved for our 2020 cruise. 

I am not sure a TA can offer you a better selection of cabins.  I sometimes find that the TA didn't have the cabin I found on the Princess website.  However, with that being said, I have been able to ask my TA to speak with Princess and see if they could get the cabin I saw on their website and have had no problem.  The only reason I use the TA is for the perks and a better deal on cruise insurance.

• Like 1

Hope this virus thing end soon.  We need to go!!!  This virus is not the deadliest virus we’ve experienced, like HIV or Ebola. What made it worse is the media creating panic and people acting upon it.  If we practice common sense and follow CDC recommendation for flu virus, this will pass.  Remember H1N1??.  

J

Our group (8 couples) were booked for July 4th, we all cancelled before 90 days so we could get a full refund. We still want to go and are watching to see best time to rebook. Fortunately our cruise problems are minor in comparison

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are also booked on a September 2020 cruise, the 9/4/20 cruise on the Sun.  We have until May 7 to make our final payment.

Have bought water, booked excursions (no payment needed on those yet), paid our DSC.  We will be strongly considering the situation as that final payment day approaches.

Being an 11 day "Great Glaciers Cruise" with many days sailing and just enjoying the scenery, we won't care whether they have available shorex or not.  This is our 4th Alaska cruise and we love the ports and always support their economy, shopping and shipping home our wonderful finds each time.  We've cruised in June, July, and the final cruise for our ship of that season.  Each one has been fantastic.

Crossing our fingers, trying not to get too antsy at this time about cancelling, one day at a time.

I pray we can stop the chain of transmission of this virus by social distancing for the amount of time, as we are being asked to.