Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
gerryuk

Would You Risk Taking A Future Cruise Credit / Voucher?

Recommended Posts

Now, like many others on here my cruise was cancelled and no doubt, I like many others will be offered a future cruise credit / voucher.

I strongly believe that if my cruise was with MSC, I would feel comfortable taking the voucher. MSC Cruises is just a small part of their operations, its the worlds second largest shipping container operator, so its not going no ware, its certainly not going bust.

However I don't fell the same about any of the other cruise lines, to me accepting a cruise credit / voucher will be playing Russian roulette with my hard earned money, I get the feeling that some of these cruise lines could go to the wall in the coming weeks / months making their vouchers worthless.

If you get the choice will you take the money offered now or take a future cruise credit / voucher?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Credit/Voucher in lieu of Cash?    Cash.  I can always book later.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would never take a future cruise credit over a refund if there is a choice. In the past when I recieved vouchers when they gave me no choice like when a HAL cruise I was on was shortended the conditions made it almost impossible to use. The vouchers are really a gret racket for the cruise lines. As for current conditions who knows whether the cruise line will stay in business. Even if it does they might restructure and you would be stuck with worthless paper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not if there was a cash/refund option. I don't even like getting "store credit." If it's my only option I would accept it. All goes back to my "I am not brand loyal" mentality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why would anyone take a future credit over a cash reimbursement?   Perhaps if it was a future credit of 100% of fare paid vs. a 50% cash refund it might make sense. And, if you were given that sort of choice you would have to see it as betting on the odds that the line would survive and honor the credit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course,  cash is the preferred refund method. However,  there is no need to worry short term over a cruise line going belly up.

 

Large corporations have business interruption insurance coverage, many self insure, have extensive business continuity plans, etc.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmmm  🤔 good question,  since I already spent the money on a planned vacation and would more than likely spend it if it was returned.  I'll take future credit on another cruise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'll happily take a FCC especially if it is 150% of what we paid. The advantage of being retired is that we can book and cruise as soon as this mess is over.

Edited by zqvol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would and I did.   I don't intend to give up on cruising.  I do agree that MSC might be the strongest company long-term.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RCCL cancelled our cruise. Offered refund or 125% FCC.

 

I stated on another thread:

If you don't cruise often, take the refund.

If you cruise often, take the FCC.

 

We cruise often, so we took the FCC.

Additional note: Taxes and port charges are not included.  For example, if your cruise was $2000, taxes and port charges were $200,...then it's $1,800 x 1.25 = $2,250.  Your FCC is $2,250.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zqvol said:

I'll happily take a FCC especially if it is 150% of what we paid. The advantage of being retired is that we can book and cruise as soon as this mess is over.

 

That kind of incentive is the only way I would opt for a FCC over a cash refund.   If the FCC is for the same amount as a refund, why would anyone take the FCC.  Makes no sense to me.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I plan to take cash refund when offered. Then book later when things improve. MSC should be in good financial shape as well as Disney (with endless pockets) but I am not fully confident on how the others will land. I foresee a lot of merging and buyouts, as well as failures. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would like an option from Ponant for a refund or at least extra FCC right now only vouchers are being offered for what you paid. Their Terms and Conditions state we should have a choice of refund or FCC but so far not honoring refunds. Wonder if we have any recourse

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, cruizergal70 said:

Of course,  cash is the preferred refund method. However,  there is no need to worry short term over a cruise line going belly up.

 

Large corporations have business interruption insurance coverage, many self insure, have extensive business continuity plans, etc.

 

 

 

And many of those business interruption insurances have force majeure provisions that could leave them bare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

I would and I did.   I don't intend to give up on cruising.  I do agree that MSC might be the strongest company long-term.

Why would you prefer a credit over cash?  The cash allows you options while the credit can online used on a future cruise.  

 

It does not make sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Teach2618 said:

Would like an option from Ponant for a refund or at least extra FCC right now only vouchers are being offered for what you paid. Their Terms and Conditions state we should have a choice of refund or FCC but so far not honoring refunds. Wonder if we have any recourse

Does it not depend where you booked the cruise from? My Costa cruise was cancelled and although its a Italian Line, I booked through their UK site. When I contact them later this week to get refunds, I will decide if they are playing fair or trying to screw me.  As a British citizen, and as I paid through their UK site, we also have consumer rights in this country, when purchasing goods. I will look into what our rights are here. I do not know where you purchased your ticket from, before contacting the cruise line check if your country has consumer rights like the UK, you may have more recourse than you think?, good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, gerryuk said:

Does it not depend where you booked the cruise from? My Costa cruise was cancelled and although its a Italian Line, I booked through their UK site. When I contact them later this week to get refunds, I will decide if they are playing fair or trying to screw me.  As a British citizen, and as I paid through their UK site, we also have consumer rights in this country, when purchasing goods. I will look into what our rights are here. I do not know where you purchased your ticket from, before contacting the cruise line check if your country has consumer rights like the UK, you may have more recourse than you think?, good luck.

Thank you, we booked in the U S , in our terms and agreements it states

11.9 Where CDP is the Cruise Organiser, and no matter the reason for cancellation, no compensation is due to the Traveller, who will be able to choose between the following solutions:

(i) A full refund of the Contract price; (ii) Another Service at the same price; (iii) A Service at a lower price and a refund for the price difference between the two Services based on the

  

 advertised prices. Travellers must inform CDP of their choice as soon as possible and in any event before the deadline mentioned in the cancellation documents.

 

however, Ponant does not seem to be honoring these. Not sure who to contact next.

thanks again 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Why would you prefer a credit over cash?  The cash allows you options while the credit can online used on a future cruise.  

 

It does not make sense.

Credit was 125% of price paid.  Cash option was 100%.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Why would anyone take a future credit over a cash reimbursement?   Perhaps if it was a future credit of 100% of fare paid vs. a 50% cash refund it might make sense. And, if you were given that sort of choice you would have to see it as betting on the odds that the line would survive and honor the credit.

 

I think a good number of people would consider that option. It may depend on a few things, like terms, etc. If you were in the market to cruise, unless you are completely scared away by that option, I'm inclined to guess you may still be interested in one. Mark my words that Carnival, Royal, and Norwegian will not go bankrupt for this, but I understand the concern.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our offer for FCC was just what we paid nothing extra. With two other trips booked I’m not sure we would use in 18 months And they are not offering comparable trip. Other trips are more expensive so it would cost me to use FCC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Teach2618 said:

Our offer for FCC was just what we paid nothing extra. With two other trips booked I’m not sure we would use in 18 months And they are not offering comparable trip. Other trips are more expensive so it would cost me to use FCC

My cruise with Costa, that was cancelled as I sat in the port of Dubai was for 24 days. Most of Costas cruises are for around 7 days. In fact the only cruise I could find in the future with Costa for 24 days is the same cruise next year, however the cost for the same cabin next year is £500 more. I will try in the next couple of days to contact Costa and book this cruise next year without me paying the extra. I believe under British consumer rights, Costa must either refund me the full money or offer me the equivalent goods that I purchased. Offering me a 7 day cruise as compensation for the 24 day cruise lost, is just not on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Credit was 125% of price paid.  Cash option was 100%.

 

 That was not the choice OP mentioned: which was simply between cash and future cruise voucher.

 

    Having the voucher for more than the cash makes it very different.  Depending on the line, 125% credit vs 100% cash might be attractive. But why not 200% credit vs 100% cash?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, gerryuk said:

Now, like many others on here my cruise was cancelled and no doubt, I like many others will be offered a future cruise credit / voucher.

I strongly believe that if my cruise was with MSC, I would feel comfortable taking the voucher. MSC Cruises is just a small part of their operations, its the worlds second largest shipping container operator, so its not going no ware, its certainly not going bust.

However I don't fell the same about any of the other cruise lines, to me accepting a cruise credit / voucher will be playing Russian roulette with my hard earned money, I get the feeling that some of these cruise lines could go to the wall in the coming weeks / months making their vouchers worthless.

If you get the choice will you take the money offered now or take a future cruise credit / voucher?

 

Cash today, take credit is a loan and you are likely at the back of the line if they choose to fold that line of business and all the debt/obligations.

 

If like princess they offer credit choice with more versus cash+credit, depends on how much more all credit was.  Seems smarter to take cash + credit than all credit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were onboard Amsterdam when our World Cruise ended.  Offered 50% refund and 50% FCC or 125% FCC.  We are taking the cash for several reasons.

1) While in good health now who knows what will happen, at my age any thing can happen.  Plus with a pandemic targeting folks my age, I am going with the money.

2) The refund will mean that I can live a few months off the money rather than withdrawing from my retirement fund, which is based on investments.  Don't want to sell anything now to realize cash.

3) What is the future of cruising right now?  I suspect the lines will still be going although some brands may go away.  But what itineraries will there be in 18 months?  I like ones that are more arcane.  Will they still be around?  Will small ships go in favor of more efficient ones (I like small ships) or will the small ships be the only ones they fill as they rebuild?

 

So I will go for the cash and be happy if I can use the FCC part of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cash. Always.  For all the reasons stated above and more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...