How did your airline handle your booking after your cruise was cancelled?

EllieinNJ

22 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

We have called United twice now and they still refuse to give us a refund.  Only a credit for 24 months.

Without details, we can't evaluate your situation, they could be following their policy to the letter. When was the flight scheduled, and when was it booked?

On 4/6/2020 at 6:19 AM, Bo1953 said:

Hello all - is it safe to presume that most everyone posting here, booked reservations direct with the airline vs through the cruise line?

bon voyage

I booked directly with the carrier which I always do.

• Thanks 1

On 4/9/2020 at 7:28 PM, CruiserBruce said:

Without details, we can't evaluate your situation, they could be following their policy to the letter. When was the flight scheduled, and when was it booked?

They cancelled my original nonstop from Seattle to Newark for May 10 then rebooked me on one with a 45 minute stopover in DC.  These had different flight numbers.

29 minutes ago, EllieinNJ said:

They cancelled my original nonstop from Seattle to Newark for May 10 then rebooked me on one with a 45 minute stopover in DC.  These had different flight numbers.

That doesn't, in itself, create conditions for a full refund, as it sounds like the initial change wasn't caused by Covid19. If the new arrival, or departure times had varied widely, or had caused you not to be able to make an event, then, yes, a refund is in order.

The flight numbers don't affect anything.

11 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

That doesn't, in itself, create conditions for a full refund, as it sounds like the initial change wasn't caused by Covid19. If the new arrival, or departure times had varied widely, or had caused you not to be able to make an event, then, yes, a refund is in order.

The flight numbers don't affect anything.

Yeah, I'm honestly not sure what all the "fine print" of their policies would say but the bottom line is they didn't sell you a particular flight; they sold you a TICKET to get you from SEA to EWR.  Originally it was on one flight; now it's on a combo of two different flights, but will still get you there reasonably close to the time you would have arrived before, right.  That's probably going to be the key- what was your original arrival time in EWR and what is your new arrival time and does it exceed the airline's time limit that would allow you to cancel for a refund rather than accept the change?

20 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

If the airline cancelled your original flight you can get a refund -- the reason they cancelled is irrelevant.  Do not accept the change (hopefully you haven't already).  Call the airline and tell them per DOT rules they must give you the refund.  Many airlines are giving credits because people aren't aware of their rights.

Edited by mchell810

32 minutes ago, mchell810 said:

If the airline cancelled your original flight you can get a refund -- the reason they cancelled is irrelevant.  Do not accept the change (hopefully you haven't already).  Call the airline and tell them per DOT rules they must give you the refund.  Many airlines are giving credits because people aren't aware of their rights.

This is not true in all cases, as it relates to cancellations prior to Covid shutdowns. 

43 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

This is not true in all cases, as it relates to cancellations prior to Covid shutdowns. 

The DOT rule existed long before this crisis as noted on their website:

https://www.transportation.gov/individuals/aviation-consumer-protection/refunds

Also, on April 3rd DOT confirmed that the rules had not changed, as noted here:

https://www.transportation.gov/briefing-room/us-department-transportation-issues-enforcement-notice-clarifying-air-carrier-refund

Praises to Delta Airlines for their courtesy and proper handling of cancellations at this time!

I had a trip planned at the end of May that I had booked with SkyMiles.  I called and was given the option for them to call me back rather than wait on hold.  They returned my call, graciously added my miles back to my account, and told me the taxes would be refunded to my credit card.  That's the way a class airlines does business.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mchell810 said:

The DOT rule existed long before this crisis as noted on their website:

https://www.transportation.gov/individuals/aviation-consumer-protection/refunds

Also, on April 3rd DOT confirmed that the rules had not changed, as noted here:

https://www.transportation.gov/briefing-room/us-department-transportation-issues-enforcement-notice-clarifying-air-carrier-refund

Those are all very nice, but the devil is in the details. In EllieinNJ's case, the DOT (and it is explained this way in the links you provide) doesn't consider changing from a non-stop to a one stop as cancelling, as waterbug123 also says, and as has been my experience in years of traveling, UNLESS there is significant change in departure and/or arrival times. "Significant" is usually 2 or more hours change.

This has been the very common US airline policy for at least 30 years, and the DOT has said nothing.

18 hours ago, texasstar said:

Praises to Delta Airlines for their courtesy and proper handling of cancellations at this time!

I had a trip planned at the end of May that I had booked with SkyMiles.  I called and was given the option for them to call me back rather than wait on hold.  They returned my call, graciously added my miles back to my account, and told me the taxes would be refunded to my credit card.  That's the way a class airlines does business.

I agree with you. I had another trip scheduled with delta and got the credit as well.    British Arlines keep my airfare.  

• 1 month later...

I had flights booked round trip to Europe for April and June. I was scheduled to travel with American and British Airlines. My flights and connections were changed more than once between original booking and eventual cancellation. American Airlines has already refunded my ticket cost, and did so within a week of being contacted. British Airlines has agreed to refund my costs after they cancelled my flight, but it has been over six weeks and still no refund has arrived. I understand that the travel industry has been turned inside out over the zombie apocalypse, but I am hopeful that a refund may eventually arrive. I am more concerned for the safety and health of everyone trying to survive in the new reality.

Best wishes,  and stay safe.