Coronavirus symptoms (late December)?

jtwilshire

2 hours ago, Pens fan said:

It was like no "cold" I'd ever had. 

After ruling out the flu and finding out the prescribed expectorants and cough suppression was worthless I was eventually told it was 'likely' a bad case of bronchitis.  

This bronchitis was nothing like a couple of bouts I have had with it in the past.

• Like 1

I sailed in mid-January in the Caribbean and caught something that was far more severe than any flu I’d ever had. No one was talking about COVID 19 then. But for sure it wasn’t flu. I had the “hot chills”, high fever, coughing, shortness of breath just walking to be bathroom, fatigue, and muscle aches so bad I was taking hot showers every hour because it was the only thing that provided any relief. Then in March I was in NY and NJ but haven’t gotten sick again since January. Now I’m really wondering if I already had it, and wish I knew.

• Like 1

I think once the extreme crisis is over & there is a plentiful supply of the antibody tests - we'll see many people lining up to verify their suspicions they had been exposed to it earlier on...  If only they could verify if there is immunity,  if you've already had it & built up the anitbodies!

• Like 5

While not on NCL, I came off a Carnival cruise 2/2 and 3 days later had high fever, cough, muscle ache, chest tightness, headache.  Had never had anything like that before. I had also stayed 3 days pre-cruise in FLL.   Went to Dr., who- upon hearing I had just gotten off a cruise to the Caribbean - gave me strep, flu and chest X-ray - all negative.  Gave me a z-pack, told me to take tylenol, sent me on my way.  Took 2+ weeks for cough to dissipate. DD cruised with me - no symptoms.  DH stayed home to work - no symptoms.   I do not doubt that I had a mild case of covid19, but will only know if I do not "get" it again, or when/if an antibody test is administered.  

• Like 1

I have not read this whole thread, but here is an article from this morning's New York Post that some may find interesting:  https://nypost.com/2020/04/09/coronavirus-was-spreading-in-city-weeks-before-first-official-case/  The gist of the article is that scientists are now suspecting that Corona was spreading in NYC undetected in early February.  Both my son-in-law and my son had what looked like textbook cases right around February 6th - fever, major chills and trouble breathing.  Of the 5 people (total) they live with, 3 developed much milder cases of "some bug" afterwards and the other two never got sick (or perhaps were asymptomatic?).  Four of the five "co-inhabitants" are female and COVID-19 does seem to disproportionately target men.  They say we will have antibody tests soon, so we'll be curious to see if these might have been early cases of Corona.

• Like 1

Remember a couple of years ago some of the cruise lines (incl. NCL) pulled their ships out of the China market for no obvious reasons, and thousands of people died of the 'flu' around the same time? I'm wondering if there wasn't a COVID-17 that wasn't publicised. China and the Wuhan Health Organisation aren't about to tell if it is true.

• Like 2

On 3/17/2020 at 2:13 PM, jtwilshire said:

I was on the Epic Caribbean cruise 12-22-19 thru 12-29-19.  During the cruise I developed symptoms very similar to the coronavirus (terrible dry cough, chills & night sweats, fatigue, fever (but low 99-101), loss of appetite).  I also experienced a few episodes where I had trouble taking deep breaths, which is unusual for me as while I am 57 years old...

I am writing this in case someone reads this and experienced the same symptoms I did on the Norwegian Epic during similar timeframe. 

Curious if there are others out there that experienced similar symptoms while on that cruise.

Funny how you ask if anyone else experienced the same thing as you did, around the same time, on the same ship and (I didn't read ALL posts - I begot tired) many diagnosed you, gave you their medical advice and expertise of the Corona virus.  But, I didn't read a response to your question.

My response - yes.

I was on the Epic 12/08 - 12/15.

I seldom get sick. 

I had the same symptoms as you - chills, sweats, fatigue and, something I've never had before, when I took a deep breath, I had chest pain.

I checked my records and see that I called in sick January 1st & 2nd.  So, my illness started on December 30th or so and I returned to work January 5th, even though I didn't feel 100% yet.  I was sick a good week.

• Like 1

Scientists at Stanford University also suspect that the virus was present in California in late November leading to a “herd immunity “ that has contributed to the flattening of the curve.  https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-04-11/bay-area-coronavirus-deaths-signs-of-earlier-spread-california

I contacted the people at Stanford about our experience.  May or may not be given the antibody test to support their findings.  Have to see if they need our data.

So, I think as more and more epidemiology studies are conducted we will fin out that many of us had Covid-19.

If many people believe they had the virus much earlier than what is the current majority view, then why  weren't the hospitals inundated back in early Jan?  After all that is why we have the lock down now  because we don't want hospitals over run.  (Since Oct I had 2 colds and 2  bouts of the flu, a wicked bad sick season for me)

On 4/2/2020 at 1:04 AM, Novastar said:

No. We were on the Gem Panama Canal cruise from Jan. 24 to Feb. 14. We are both better now but still with remnants of the cough. I hope your father is doing well now.

My wife and I were on that cruise but we did a back to back, started in NYC on January 4th. I started coughing on the ship around Feb 4, right  after the super bowl, it got worse when I came home and had slight problems breathing,  doctor gave me an inhaler, two weeks later was worse, dr gave me a Z Pac, I still have a cough but I am afraid to leave the house. There were many people that got on that ship in San Francisco that were sick, coughing all over the place, met one couple whose husband didn't leave his room for the first week, had a fever, thought it was the flu, who knows, didn't know about covid-19 at the time.  if you remember there was a period of time that for unexplained reasons, they had servers at the buffet, couldn't even get a cup of coffee by yourself, which is the only thing I get at the buffet. I would love to know how many people got off the Gem sick.

We were on an MSC cruise out of Rome that had about 2,000 Chinese nationals onboard in late November. By December 1, at the end of the cruise, my husband had a fever and URI. My doctor has suggested we have the antibody testing as soon as the health care workers have been tested. Learn about the One Road One Belt policy to see the implications.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, luapishere said:

Funny how you ask if anyone else experienced the same thing as you did, around the same time, on the same ship and (I didn't read ALL posts - I begot tired) many diagnosed you, gave you their medical advice and expertise of the Corona virus.  But, I didn't read a response to your question.

My response - yes.

I was on the Epic 12/08 - 12/15.

I seldom get sick. 

I had the same symptoms as you - chills, sweats, fatigue and, something I've never had before, when I took a deep breath, I had chest pain.

I checked my records and see that I called in sick January 1st & 2nd.  So, my illness started on December 30th or so and I returned to work January 5th, even though I didn't feel 100% yet.  I was sick a good week.

Thanks for your response.... and yes, I think you are the first person that actually had been on the Epic !!  I remember telling my wife while on the cruise that "I never had something like this before"... really sucked having it.  Sorry to hear you experienced something very similar.

I was on the Epic Caribbean cruise 12-22-19 thru 12-29-19.  During the cruise I developed symptoms very similar to the coronavirus (terrible dry cough, chills & night sweats, fatigue, fever (but low 99-101), loss of appetite).  I also experienced a few episodes where I had trouble taking deep breaths, which is unusual for me as while I am 57 years old... I am in very good physical shape... run marathons, etc.  While on the cruise I told my wife that I had never experienced something like this before... some strange respiratory sickness. I did not have a runny nose or nasal congestion.  When I got back to the US, I got screened for strep and the flu.... both tests came back negative.  I felt better after about 10 days... but it took a good 3 weeks to get rid of the dry cough.  This was a few weeks before any of us heard of the "coronavirus"... which was starting to ramp up in China.   I am writing this in case someone reads this and experienced the same symptoms I did on the Norwegian Epic during similar timeframe.  While not convinced that I had the coronavirus... I do think there is a chance that I did, or had some other related strain.   Curious if there are others out there that experienced similar symptoms while on that cruise.

We were on the Epic 1/26-2/6. Although we did not get sick, a woman we met on the cruise got sick near the end with similar symptoms. She stayed in the cabin the last few days but was quite ill when she disembarked. Her physician told her she probably had bronchitis. She was treated but still has a cough. She suspects it was Covid 19.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hubby and i were on Bliss 1/5-1/19.  He got sick his last week, and stayed sick when we got home.  He is NEVER sick!  Cough that wouldn’t quit, but I don’t remember fever.  Some tiredness.  I didn’t get it.  We both had the flu shots over a month before sailing, so not flu.  After 2 weeks he went to urgent care because he wasn’t getting better and got Z-pack and ultimately recovered in about another 4-5 days.  Could be coincidence or not.  We know that the cruise two before ours had a lot of respiratory problems (were reported on CC) and the one before ours they still had the standard sanitation precautions (eg no buffet self serve).  on our cruise everything was back to normal.  however, in the FB group for our cruise a lot of people posted that they had respiratory problems during/after the cruise.

Sars-Covid-2 is believed to have evolved to this form around November (or perhaps a bit earlier) in 2019, so it’s plausible that November/December cruisers could have gotten it.  No one knows what nationalities were on each cruise (or on flights to cruise) so it’s reasonable that someone from Wuhan (or who had been in contact with someone from Wuhan) could easily have come in contact with cruisers out of the US or Europe.

As far as did Joy bring it from China, if it was empty for a couple of weeks then no, all virus would be dead. 

For all these posts on here about coughing staff and "lots of people from Asia" might want to read this, they can test the minor mutations and it looks like those in New York most likely caught the virus in or from Europe and not China.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/04/09/coronavirus-entered-new-york-europe-not-asia-researchers-find/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 3/17/2020 at 3:43 PM, jtwilshire said:

I got tested for strep and flu when I got back late December.. both were negative.  I have not contacted my PCP since as I no longer have symptoms.  I'm curious if other cruisers experienced anything similar during same time frame.

There is a high probability that you had RSV.  Although it is more common especially in very young children and sometimes the elderly, many people in the middle age range had RSV this past "Flu season".

Background: I am a medical laboratory scientist.

On 3/17/2020 at 3:13 PM, jtwilshire said:

I was on the Epic Caribbean cruise 12-22-19 thru 12-29-19.  During the cruise I developed symptoms very similar to the coronavirus (terrible dry cough, chills & night sweats, fatigue, fever (but low 99-101), loss of appetite).  I also experienced a few episodes where I had trouble taking deep breaths, which is unusual for me as while I am 57 years old... I am in very good physical shape... run marathons, etc.  While on the cruise I told my wife that I had never experienced something like this before... some strange respiratory sickness. I did not have a runny nose or nasal congestion.  When I got back to the US, I got screened for strep and the flu.... both tests came back negative.  I felt better after about 10 days... but it took a good 3 weeks to get rid of the dry cough.  This was a few weeks before any of us heard of the "coronavirus"... which was starting to ramp up in China.   I am writing this in case someone reads this and experienced the same symptoms I did on the Norwegian Epic during similar timeframe.  While not convinced that I had the coronavirus... I do think there is a chance that I did, or had some other related strain.   Curious if there are others out there that experienced similar symptoms while on that cruise.

I also I believe I had COVID-19 back in February ... It wasn't a "thing" then but I had all the symptoms as you describe ... My husband contracted COVID-19 in March (a confirmed case) and even though it is highly contagious I never contracted it during the time of his illness in addition to  the period of two weeks of self isolation ... I was tested once my husband had a confirmed case and I tested negative ... To this day I have stayed well (knock wood) ... so I really believe ... as you do ... that I had it ...  

• Like 1

I was sick prior to our mid Jan cruise.  The only symptom was a terrible dry cough that would not go away....I had it for about a month and was lucky that it cleared right before we travelled.  My Dr. was sure I had pneumonia, and I did go on antibiotics, but that test came back nagative.  I did get the flu shot as I normally do.

I had thought that what I had was very strange and something different prior to the covid19 insanity.  I had seen other news related stories about this type of cough that started circulating back in Dec and would come back negative for all tests.....

A friend of mine is on a self lockdown right now. He s been having tempreture 2 weeks straight, caughing. He is 29 years old. The thing is you can never be sure whether its a regular flue or corona. In any case I wouldnt risk it.. even when I get better. I would give a month time to get comepletly rid of me before going in public. Hope people understand that we have to be cautious these days

2 hours ago, lor74 said:

I was sick prior to our mid Jan cruise.  The only symptom was a terrible dry cough that would not go away....I had it for about a month and was lucky that it cleared right before we travelled.  My Dr. was sure I had pneumonia, and I did go on antibiotics, but that test came back nagative.  I did get the flu shot as I normally do.

I had thought that what I had was very strange and something different prior to the covid19 insanity.  I had seen other news related stories about this type of cough that started circulating back in Dec and would come back negative for all tests.....

You need to read post #93: 

"There is a high probability that you had RSV.  Although it is more common especially in very young children and sometimes the elderly, many people in the middle age range had RSV this past "Flu season".

Background: I am a medical laboratory scientist."

With everyone thinking if you've had Covid then you might be immune, what if it affects you the opposite way? Meaning, your body might be "damaged" from the virus and it can't recover as well a second time.  I have read that it can affect your kidneys and heart and do damage to them and it would create more issues in the future for those organs.

3 hours ago, Level six said:

But those who visited a doctor would have diagnosed that.  

I'm not a doctor, but I don't think that's something a doctor would be typically looking for or diagnose in a middle aged adult since it typically doesn't cause a severe illness in that age group as it mostly causes serious problems  young children and and older adults. 

https://www.cdc.gov/rsv/high-risk/index.html

Edited by njhorseman