Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
SarniaLo

Hurtigruten suspends operations until April 19th

Recommended Posts

Hurtigruten will stop operations along the Norwegian coast starting today and until April 19th (and expeditions trips cancelled until April 28th). The ships will be gradually taken out of service in the upcoming days.

https://global.hurtigruten.com/practical-information/coronavirus-update/

Not very surprising since foreign travellers can't come into Norway and Norwegians are asked to limit travel, but I wonder if that ever happened before?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for posting.  

 

On a related note - the new cancellation policy (18 Mar 2020) for those impacted is a future credit voucher in the amount 125% of price paid and a 10% price reduction on a future cruise.

 

For those who accepted the earlier offer of 100%  and 10% reduction the new offer does not apply.

 

So in short - if one cancelled early due to governmental and airline restrictions - no fault of the customer - the customer lost. Whaaaat?

 

I know these are tough times for travel, airline and cruise companies - and I've been dealing with a host of them in recent days to clean up a bunch of cancelled travel plans.  But Hurtigruten's approach bewilders me. 

 

Be that as it may, hope all are staying safe and focused on their personal well-being as weal deal with COVID-19.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These are difficult times for everybody and companies are trying to their best towards their customers and their employees in a situation that changes almost by the hour. Actually, I can't see now any reference to numbers on the webpage (I may not be looking at the right place).

I don't see what the customer is losing when they will recoup 100% of their trip money plus some.

They are now extending this rebooking offer to voyages up to September 2020, which is a sign that they probably don't see this situation going away any time soon (nor am I). Honestly, if someone's only problem when we come out of this is that they didn't gain as much by cancelling early their Hurtigruten trip, they should consider themselves lucky.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are the details:

 

https://www.hurtigruten.com/practical-information/coronavirus-update/cancelled/

 

Rebooking my cancelled suite anytime over the next 21 months is going to be more expensive than either voucher credit they give.  Despite that I will rebook.

 

In any event, this is such a "first world" problem.   The world around us is changing so drastically and profoundly.  Who really knows what tomorrow will bring.

 

Stay safe everyone! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These posts remind me that Hurtigruten passengers are frequently 'different' than the average cruiser. In a good way. Congratulations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/18/2020 at 7:43 PM, Homerody said:

Thank you for posting.  

 

On a related note - the new cancellation policy (18 Mar 2020) for those impacted is a future credit voucher in the amount 125% of price paid and a 10% price reduction on a future cruise.

 

For those who accepted the earlier offer of 100%  and 10% reduction the new offer does not apply.

 

So in short - if one cancelled early due to governmental and airline restrictions - no fault of the customer - the customer lost. Whaaaat?

 

I know these are tough times for travel, airline and cruise companies - and I've been dealing with a host of them in recent days to clean up a bunch of cancelled travel plans.  But Hurtigruten's approach bewilders me. 

 

Be that as it may, hope all are staying safe and focused on their personal well-being as weal deal with COVID-19.

I too was caught out by this.  My issue with Hurtigruten is that the email offering the FCV clearly stated that in order to apply for the FCV you had to do that at least 48 hours before the cruise was due to depart.  There was no indication what would happen if you didn't apply - I should have asked!  I applied within the time instructed as I had been told that the cruise was still operating and the UK government had advised the over 70s not to cruise; if we had decided to go ahead, we would have invalidated our insurance.  The decision to cancel the cruise was made about 54 hours before the cruise was due to depart but an email notifying passengers of this decision was not sent out until about 10 minutes after the 48 hour deadline expired. This second email said that the cruise had been cancelled and the upgraded FCV was offered.  IMO Hurtigruten did this to reduce the number of passengers who would be eligible for the enhanced FCV offer.  I was not happy and wrote to the UK sales office, as well as the CEO, expressing my concerns.  I await a reply.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@medeba - sorry to hear about your misfortunes. I hope all works out for you.  I'm curious to see how they will respond.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Homerody said:

@medeba - sorry to hear about your misfortunes. I hope all works out for you.  I'm curious to see how they will respond.

 

 

Homerody.  I'll let you know.  I realise in these difficult times that an FCV offer is good but as we were due to sail on a 5 night 'showcase voyage' on 17 March the cost was considerably lower than any other future cruise we are interested in.  We also had a mini cruise booked in April with Saga Cruises which has been cancelled and they are giving the option of a full refund or FCV (similar to Hurtigruten's enhanced offer).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Being penalised for being single the rebook offer only applies if you’re not a single traveller.

i know in the scheme of Coronavirus a cruise is not of importance.

Had booked to depart on the 29th of March on what to me was going to be the holiday of my lifetime on the Norway coast cruise. When it was all cancelled I was told I could have the 125% offer. However low and behold when ROL Cruises rang me to arrange a rebook seems because I  got a single the offer is  I need to pay us another £1000 to get the holiday I booked whichmeans the offer is a LIE. This was meant to be a holiday of a lifetime for me as hopefully I will be 60 at Christmas if I make it out the other side. Seems I have now got to claim on the insurance and hope I can get the refund or they will pay the difference .NOT IMPRESSED . Surely I should get 125% too

 

Edited by Mcnicm20

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Mcnicm20 said:

Being penalised for being single the rebook offer only applies if you’re not a single traveller.

i know in the scheme of Coronavirus a cruise is not of importance.

Had booked to depart on the 29th of March on what to me was going to be the holiday of my lifetime on the Norway coast cruise. When it was all cancelled I was told I could have the 125% offer. However low and behold when ROL Cruises rang me to arrange a rebook seems because I  got a single the offer is  I need to pay us another £1000 to get the holiday I booked whichmeans the offer is a LIE. This was meant to be a holiday of a lifetime for me as hopefully I will be 60 at Christmas if I make it out the other side. Seems I have now got to claim on the insurance and hope I can get the refund or they will pay the difference .NOT IMPRESSED . Surely I should get 125% too

 

That is disgraceful.  You should push for a refund or the 125% FCV offer.  I am assuming you booked in the UK.  Have you got a copy of the terms and conditions of your booking with ROL?  See what it says about the terms of the cruise company cancelling the cruise and also ROL Cruises T&Cs.  I am still awaiting a response from Hurtigruten (see earlier posts) but it may be worth your while contacting Hurtigruten direct on:  https://www.hurtigruten.co.uk/contact-us/feedback/.  If you fill out the form, they will respond with a case number and answer your enquiry (eventually).  Good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Medeba said:

That is disgraceful.  You should push for a refund or the 125% FCV offer.  I am assuming you booked in the UK.  Have you got a copy of the terms and conditions of your booking with ROL?  See what it says about the terms of the cruise company cancelling the cruise and also ROL Cruises T&Cs.  I am still awaiting a response from Hurtigruten (see earlier posts) but it may be worth your while contacting Hurtigruten direct on:  https://www.hurtigruten.co.uk/contact-us/feedback/.  If you fill out the form, they will respond with a case number and answer your enquiry (eventually).  Good luck.

ROL says this all Hurtigruten  are offering 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mcnicm20 said:

ROL says this all Hurtigruten  are offering 

You have nothing to lose, IMO, in contacting Hurtigruten.  Recently, I wanted to cancel a cruise we had booked for December and my travel agent told me we would lose the deposit.  I contacted the cruise company (not Hurtigruten) and was told that we could get a full refund free of charge because the cancellation was so far ahead.  I emailed this response to my TA who actioned the refund on my behalf.  I know your circumstances are different but I think it's worth contacting Hurtigruten.

Edited by Medeba
additional information

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

FWIW - my US based recent experience:

 

I had a direct booking with Hurtigruten - and they have been great in dealing with cancellation and rebooking. No problems and no issues - everything to date has been per their current cancellation policies.

 

On the other hand, I used a travel agent for another cruise with another cruise line - and after the cruise line cancelled the cruise the agent was playing games, obfuscating and coming up with all sorts of excuses as to why I was not due the full voucher in accordance with the terms of the cruise line.

 

So I contacted the cruise line directly, informing them that since the booking was cancelled - the travel agent no longer had any standing in the booking and does not represent me.  I got no pushback on that.  I fully expected to be told - as they usually  do - you booked with a travel agent - we will not talk to you.  I then asked what the voucher amount will be - and without any back and forth - the cruise line offer was in line with their stated policy. A 5 minute phone call was all it took.

 

I have no idea why my travel agent was playing games - but they lost my future business.  But that's another story.

 

Hope this helps.

 

 

Edited by Homerody
edit and typos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Homerody said:

FWIW - my US based recent experience:

 

I had a direct booking with Hurtigruten - and they have been great in dealing with cancellation and rebooking. No problems and no issues - everything to date has been per their current cancellation policies.

 

On the other hand, I used a travel agent for another cruise with another cruise line - and after the cruise line cancelled the cruise the agent was playing games, obfuscating and coming up with all sorts of excuses as to why I was not due the full voucher in accordance with the terms of the cruise line.

 

So I contacted the cruise line directly, informing them that since the booking was cancelled - the travel agent no longer had any standing in the booking and does not represent me.  I got no pushback on that.  I fully expected to be told - as they usually  do - you booked with a travel agent - we will not talk to you.  I then asked what the voucher amount will be - and without any back and forth - the cruise line offer was in line with their stated policy. A 5 minute phone call was all it took.

 

I have no idea why my travel agent was playing games - but they lost my future business.  But that's another story.

 

Hope this helps.

 

 

I booked through ROL. They rang me yesterday with the 125% offer. When I said I had the SOLO offer they went back to Hurtigruten , when they came back to me they said as it was an offer Hurtigruten wouldn’t match it and I had to pay the extra money if I wanted to rebook

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mcnicm20 said:

said as it was an offer Hurtigruten wouldn’t match it and I had to pay the extra money if I wanted to rebook

I assume you’ll get 125% of what you have paid so far - Hurtigruten has regular solo offers at selected voyages - you should be able to rebook a solo offer once sailing again and pay with your voucher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, hallasm said:

I assume you’ll get 125% of what you have paid so far - Hurtigruten has regular solo offers at selected voyages - you should be able to rebook a solo offer once sailing again and pay with your voucher.

Thanks. I wasn’t offered a voucher just a rebook I will have to call them back tomorrow 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as I remember from Hurtigruten's homepage, the 125% offer is only valid for bookings in a certain time frame. Others will be offered only a refund plus a 10% voucher for the new journey. Certain special offers and Basic tariffs are excluded. It sounds rather complicated and they may have different rules for different countries. Calling them will be the right thing to do, I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mcnicm20 said:

Thanks. I wasn’t offered a voucher just a rebook I will have to call them back tomorrow 

Probably different offers for different countries- however I believe it will be a voucher valid for a voyage until December 31 2021. My offer was a 100% voucher and 10% discount. 

 

Please note that you do not have to decide on where or when your future voyage will be, the form will only secure your Hurtigruten Future Cruise Voucher and the discount. You can decide later which future voyage you would like to join within the period July 01 2020 and December 31 2021.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are different cancellation voucher policies depending on who cancelled (cruiser or Hurtigruten), dates of cruise, etc...  If  Hurtigruten cancelled the sailing there two different offers  - depending on the date and time of customer acceptance of offer  (namely, before or after 18 March 2020 at 17:00 CET per website) 

 

The website - whether US, UK, NO is consistent in information about cancellation provisions and policies.

 

I think the best thing for OP to do - is skip the TA middleman - and contact Hurtigruten directly.  

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hurtigruten has now suspended operations into May: coastal routes til May 20th, expeditions till May 12, including for example a journey to Spitsbergen. Alaska routes are cancelled till end of July.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I received a rather stern email from Hurtigruten yesterday about refunds.  Whilst I appreciate that it was sent to everyone and not me specifically, I have to admit I was a bit angered by the wording - here are two quotes from the email:

 

"We would like to confirm once again that we have received your refund request and that it has been duly registered" (Hurtigruten did not highlight the two words, that was done by me); and

 

"To avoid any additional delay in processing all enquiries, we kindly ask you to not re-send your request or contact us again for updates" (Clearly, Hurtigruten do want people to take an interest in what is happening about their hard earned cash which is due back to them)

 

I have not had any contact with Hurtigruten since 8 April.  This wasn't directly about my refund request but an issue I had with an email from the CEO issued on 7 April.  I first wrote to Hurtigruten on 14 March about a refund (only an FCV was offered) and I was given a 'case number' on 27 March. 

 

Yesterday's email also quoted a 90 day timeline for refunds which is the first time I have seen this from Hurtigruten.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hurtigruten (as most companies) is currently short on staff as they have laid off a very large part of their employees. They probably have to handle thousands of similar claims for refund or rebooking. Time spend reading and replying multiple emails from the same customer asking the same question is time they cannot spend on actually processding the claims.

I think this message was sent automatically to all people who have requested refunds because there were some heated discussions on social media from people stating they required communication from Hurtigruten with confirmation that they were indeeed processing refunds, and an indication of a timeline. Some people were even urging others to send emails to the CEO.

I appreciate that this email is written in a very direct way and without florishes, but that is also a bit the Norwegian way. If they say that they are handling it, I think they are.

Best of luck, I understand this is quite a stressful situation to be in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My brother was booked for a June coastal Norway trip.  He said the person he spoke to at the USA Hurtigruten office was very kind and was able to give him all the information he needed to cancel and get a voucher for a future trip in late 2021.  I was happy to hear that he was able to get through and speak to a "real" person!  Unfortunately I also had my non Hurtigruten cruise on another line cancelled......but.....I'll get there again sometime!!

 

~Nancy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More than a month since my last communication from Hurtigruten (see post 22) and still nothing.  My 90 day deadline is in two weeks time.  I remain hopeful that I will receive my refund soon.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...